PDA

View Full Version : Return To Anbar: Day 2

thedrifter
11-20-08, 08:08 AM
Return To Anbar: Day 2
by Baghdad Bureau

By David Mac Dougall, Baghdad Bureau

We spent a fascinating second day in Fallujah, guests of B-Company, 1st Battalion, 4th Marines. Capt. Dan Micklis and Lt. Joe Passman have been showing us around downtown Fallujah, and as I hope you can see from the photos, there’s a lot of life and a lot of color in the markets. The people we met were friendly and curious and there was no feeling of hostility - which is very strange considering how much violence there has been here in the last few years. If Fallujah’s market was anything to judge by, the city is rebounding and business is brisk.

Lt. Passman is one of the last marines in Fallujah. His unit is based at a building pretty much in the city center, where he works in close conjunction with the Iraqi Police. The marines we met were, as usual, highly motivated and very interesting to talk with. Some of the marines fought in the battle for Fallujah against Sunni fighters in the fall of 2004 and for them, the changes in the city are palpable.

It’s the small things the marines notice, like letting vehicles get close to the humvees, walking along the streets mingling with city residents or talking to people in the markets. The marines are still very much aware of what’s going on around them, but more importantly they’re aware of the shift in attitude among Fallujah residents, who are no longer willing to be al-Qaeda accomplices and seem to want nothing more than a peaceful life.

Tomorrow I have high hopes that Capt. Micklis will take us to KFC (I should rephrase that: Capt. Micklis is going to take us on a routine patrol with Iraqi Police tomorrow, which just happens to pass close to
KFC.) I rashly promised to buy chicken sandwiches for all the marines (although some have hesitated to eat the food!) Watch out for those pictures tomorrow.

We’ll have more Marines featured in the photos tomorrow too, so if you have friends or family deployed here with 1st Battalion 4th Marines hopefully we’ll get their pics online!

http://onthescene.blogs.foxnews.com/category/iraq/

Ellie