PDA

View Full Version : Medical Question

Hamelink83
11-19-08, 10:58 PM
This human has decided to join the Marines at the late-ish age of 25. I'm doing it because I want to serve my country but also because I'm sick of being that "exception to the rule" that trends towards overperforming at work. After being around Marines while visiting my cousin in San Diego, I had a, "this is what I want to be a part of" moment. Anyways, onto the question.

When I was younger, I raced motorcycles (road racing) and had a bad wreck. No head injuries and only severe injury being a shoulder seperation that had to be surgically fixed. My shoulder operates fine and I can do pull-ups, push-ups, and swim quickly without issue. When my medical reports are looked at, do you think the fact that it I have an shoulder injury will hinder my chances at becoming a Marine?

Thanks for any information.

rvillac2
11-19-08, 11:41 PM
If you're 100% capable and the MEPS physical will passes you, you'll be good to go.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-20-08, 12:14 AM
I'd had my shoulder cut on before I enlisted. It wasn't a big deal. Just have all of the records available for the docs at MEPS and be prepared to show them that you can function. I had to bust out some push ups in the doctor's office to show him that it worked OK. It wasn't a big deal at all.

Scottie0417
11-20-08, 12:42 AM
I severed two tendons in my left hand when I was 17 and had to have surgery. I just had to get a waiver at MEPS...the doc looked at it, had me do some squeezing and bending of my fingers, and then determined I had full use of my hand and gave me the good to go. As long as you have full range of motion with your shoulder and your injury doesn't hinder your ability to perform your duty, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to enlist.