PDA

View Full Version : Reserve Credits

DBlair
11-19-08, 08:49 PM
In my research I've found that some MC distance learning courses and other educational opportunities yield a certain number of "Reserve Credits" and was confused as to what this was referring?

Are these credits towards TIS for retirement (If so, how is it calculated? Is it towards faster retirement, or just more retirement pay?) or are they some sort of credit towards promotion, or does it have some other significance? If it is promotion-related, how would this help me as a potential officer?

Thanks for your help!

rvillac2
11-19-08, 11:50 PM
Reserve Credit is a term that typically describes time credited towards the number of drills served in the year. A Marine must serve a certain number of drills in order to have a satisfactory year and have that year count towards their contract obligation.

You must have stumbled upon some class that a Marine can take and count towards their drills.

Pete0331
11-19-08, 11:58 PM
....some MC distance learning courses ....

Also known as MCI's.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-20-08, 12:11 AM
Sounds to me like there are MCI courses that one can take to make up drills that were missed. It doesn't mean you get to pick and choose what drills you go to, you will be UA if you just fail to show up.

MCIs do help you get promoted, so you'll want to do them. You'll learn all about that as the time for it approaches.

MotorT3533
11-20-08, 07:55 AM
Reserve credits have two purposes and both count toward your retirement. First is the calculation of a satisfactory year. Reservists receive membership points for being a member of a unit, points for each drill period, and points for Annual Training. MCIs do give you more points; however, they do NOTtake the place of drill periods.

Finally when you retire, your points are used in some way in calculating your retirement pay.

DBlair
11-21-08, 12:51 AM
To the Sgts and Cpls who responded- I thank you for your help!