PDA

View Full Version : Important Medical Q. someone might be able to answer!

Tylerhawkins
11-19-08, 07:56 PM
I'm 18 years old and I have always wanted to become a Marine for almost my whole life.
Recently I found out that I was diagnosed with Mild Cerebral Palsy (Something in the brain that effects the muscles, such as muscle tightness)
This is the disability that you see people with their hands tight against their chest, although that is the more serious side of CP.

Since I found out I have been researching as many symptoms as I could possibly read, and I have none at all ever in my life.

I'm physically normal, can run miles, push ups, pull ups, ect...
There is a possibility that I was misdiagnosed, which I will hopefully find out soon, but there is still the part that bothers me.... What if I wasnt misdiagnosed?

My question is to anyone who can help: If I was not misdiagnose, but show ZERO symptoms and in physically great shape would there be a possibility to get a weaver?

If it wasnt misdiagnosed I must have 1% of CP... wonderful, right?

A recruiter told me if its on my record I cant join at all, but he doesnt know much about me physically or the disability.

Please give me some information to hopefully calm me down... or possibly make me go into a deeper depression..

Thank you a lot for the help.

Tyler

Marine84
11-19-08, 09:02 PM
If you don't fill out that profile, nobody gonna even talk to you.

Tylerhawkins
11-19-08, 09:33 PM
Alright-

I received a message from someone saying that anything can be wavered, just as long as a doctor can sign off stating that I am in good enough physical condition for bootcamp.
Or is there a way I could even show that i'm physically fit enough for it?

Need more information! But if this information is true then that gives me much more hope and less to worry about.

Tyler

rvillac2
11-19-08, 11:45 PM
Oh yeah? everything can be waived, huh? How much you wanna bet that the messenger wasn't a Marine. Read number 5:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-19-08, 11:49 PM
Saying that anything can be waived is simply not true. Many things can, but not all. Further, even if it is possible, that doesn't mean you'll be able to get the waiver yourself. Get checked out, make sure the diagnosis is correct, and then worry about the rest.

sparkie
11-20-08, 06:20 AM
So,,, You got diagnosed with NO symptoms. Really? How does that happen? Hope you're being truthful.

0231Marine
11-20-08, 07:07 AM
I don't know much about the disease/disability you're talking about but I know enough that if the diagnosis is correct, then you're not going to get in. Aren't seizures a part of palsey? Also, you can't be given a weapon if at some point with your finger straight and off the trigger, your disease manafests itself and all of a sudden, you're putting rounds down range without being able to remove your finger from the trigger. Sorry man but I just don't see you getting into the military, especially the Marine Corps if you have this.

Phantom Blooper
11-20-08, 07:25 AM
The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.
The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are an authenticated history of:
a. Cerebrovascular conditions, any history of subarachnoid (430) or intracerebral (431) hemorrhage, vascular insufficiency, aneurysm, or arteriovenous malformation (437).
b. Congenital malformations (742), if associated with neurological manifestations or if known to be progressive; meningocele (741), even if uncomplicated.
c. Degenerative and hereditodegenerative disorders affecting the cerebrum (330), basal ganglia (333), cerebellum (334), spinal cord (335), and peripheral nerves, or muscles (337). d. Recurrent headaches (784) of all types if they are of sufficient severity or frequency to interfere with normal function within 3 years. :evilgrin:

Hutchison5899
11-20-08, 07:50 AM
I would tell you that if you want to be a Marine bad enough, then this is what you need to do.

Go to your doctor, and tell him you are interested in the military. He will need to write you a letter stating that you have no current medical conditions. With that letter, then you might have a chance of getting in. Without it, I wouldn't even send your records to MEPS.

Good Luck!

0231Marine
11-20-08, 08:15 AM
I would tell you that if you want to be a Marine bad enough, then this is what you need to do.

Go to your doctor, and tell him you are interested in the military. He will need to write you a letter stating that you have no current medical conditions. With that letter, then you might have a chance of getting in. Without it, I wouldn't even send your records to MEPS.

Good Luck!

Fill out your profile...then you can post!

Marine84
11-20-08, 09:03 AM
OOH! Another E1 that joined in 99 and still in service?

Tylerhawkins
11-20-08, 11:38 AM
I don't know much about the disease/disability you're talking about but I know enough that if the diagnosis is correct, then you're not going to get in. Aren't seizures a part of palsey? Also, you can't be given a weapon if at some point with your finger straight and off the trigger, your disease manafests itself and all of a sudden, you're putting rounds down range without being able to remove your finger from the trigger. Sorry man but I just don't see you getting into the military, especially the Marine Corps if you have this.

Yea seizures are a part of palsy, but i've never had any..
I dont have any muscle stiffness or twitches

I really believe that the doctor misdiagnosed me before

0231Marine
11-20-08, 11:41 AM
Well, if that's the case, then just get documentation from a doctor stating that and you should be on your way. Just keep in mind that if it is in fact palsy, then your chances are not good.

Best of luck though!

rvillac2
11-20-08, 11:57 AM
You are not telling the whole story. What brought on the diagnosis?
You didn't just walk into the doctor's office and he arbitrarily diagnosed you with CP.
Spill it.

sparkie
11-20-08, 08:23 PM
You didn't just walk into the doctor's office and he arbitrarily diagnosed you with CP.
Spill it.
Thats what I said,,,,,,,,,,,

Tylerhawkins
11-20-08, 08:40 PM
Spill it.

I'm honestly not sure because I was young.
My mom told me that they didnt do many tests, but the doctor just thought I had it... I guess..

I was born with the umbilical cord wraped around my neck, which is a cause for birth defects, but not always.

I show 0 symptoms, and I never have.
The doctor didnt do a 100% test on me, so hopefully theyll do it better this time.

So it cant be wavered even if it comes back positive for some reason?

sparkie
11-20-08, 08:51 PM
GET A NEW DOCTOR,,,,,,,,,,,,, All other suppositions is a waste. You want it, but you ain't grabbin it,,,, Don't waste our time.

Tylerhawkins
11-20-08, 09:02 PM
I'm not wasting anybodys time because I believe that i'll be clear of CP, but i'm just worried is bad luck will get in the way.
I guess its hard for anyone to really give me a good answer anyways since no one here knows me or the way I am physically, but I just want to get everyones point of view.
I've had people say I could get it wavered and i've had people tell me I cant.
I'm just looking for a stable answer, but most likely I wont be able to find out till the future.

davblay
11-20-08, 09:28 PM
I'm not wasting anybodys time because I believe that i'll be clear of CP, but i'm just worried is bad luck will get in the way.
I guess its hard for anyone to really give me a good answer anyways since no one here knows me or the way I am physically, but I just want to get everyones point of view.
I've had people say I could get it wavered and i've had people tell me I cant.
I'm just looking for a stable answer, but most likely I wont be able to find out till the future.

As non of us have identified ourselves as recruiters, or MEPS employees, or doctors....what do you want us to tell you?

Spin the wheel and see where the little pointer stops man, that's the best advise I can give you. You either pass or you you don't! PERIOD!

Dave

sparkie
11-20-08, 09:31 PM
Make your way,,, Luck?? Bull****,,,,,,

Hutchison5899
11-20-08, 09:58 PM
Fill out your profile...then you can post!

Obviously I can post without filling out a profile. I simply wanted to help the kid out. You might get a little further asking someone to fill out a proflie instead of telling them to. get a life.

sparkie
11-20-08, 10:03 PM
Obviously I can post without filling out a profile. I simply wanted to help the kid out. You might get a little further asking someone to fill out a proflie instead of telling them to. get a life.
Numbnuts?????

rvillac2
11-20-08, 11:45 PM
Tyler,
Did you read #5 on the post I directed you to?

Tylerhawkins
11-21-08, 12:08 AM
Tyler,
Did you read #5 on the post I directed you to?

Sorry, didnt notice the post.

I understand, and thank you for the help.

0231Marine
11-21-08, 07:26 AM

Well, since I don't know who you are and since you didn't fill out your profile, then I have no obligation to ask you to do anything. Sorry I wasn't more polite with you but maybe if you're going to use the website, you could follow the rules. Everyone else has to so I don't know why you think you're an exception to the rule. Come back and talk when you grow some thicker skin!

Ask you...lol!

SGT7477
11-21-08, 07:41 AM

Does it hurt to follow the rules?:evilgrin:

Tylerhawkins
11-21-08, 11:03 AM
Well, since I don't know who you are and since you didn't fill out your profile, then I have no obligation to ask you to do anything. Sorry I wasn't more polite with you but maybe if you're going to use the website, you could follow the rules. Everyone else has to so I don't know why you think you're an exception to the rule. Come back and talk when you grow some thicker skin!

Ask you...lol!

I didnt notice the rule, but I did fill out my profile.. or is there anything specific I should fill out?

0231Marine
11-21-08, 11:22 AM
I didnt notice the rule, but I did fill out my profile.. or is there anything specific I should fill out?

Um, that comment wasn't directed towards you. Hence me quoting someone else in my post.

Marine84
11-21-08, 11:23 AM
I love it when folks want in the house but, don't want to tell anybody who they are.

0231Marine
11-21-08, 11:27 AM
Seems to be a common occurance recently. That's twice in two days for me.