PDA

View Full Version : The Men and Woman of the Marines Corps

thedrifter
11-19-08, 11:18 AM
11/18/08
The Men and Woman of the Marines Corps

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 04:36 PM

Last week we showed you this group of Marines training for war. This week, we'll introduce you to some of those trainees. Each Marine has a different story and each has a unique reason to serve. But all Marines share one thing - that they are Marines and they hold that distinction above all others.

Semper Fidelis, or Semper Fi, became the Marine Corps motto in 1883. Semper Fi is Latin for "Always Faithful" and to the Marine Corps it's more than just a motto - it's a way of life.

Marines are trained to stay faithful to corps and country, no matter what. But Marines are still people with lives outside the military. When training on weekends and deployments overseas end, these Marines have jobs and lives to live.

"What you learn out here isn't something you would learn out there in everyday situations so, I love it," said Cpl. Sheena Reina.

Four months ago, Cpl. Reina experienced a life changing event. "I gave birth to a seven pound son four months ago, on June 16th," she explained.

Despite being a new mom, Semper Fi still runs strong in Cpl Reina. She'll be deploying to the Middle East for a second time next year.

"That's got to be an interesting decision for you," I said. "Yes. Mainly because this is something I made a long time ago. I enlisted right after high school. This is a commitment that I made and I plan on keeping it," Reina replied.

With each Marine comes a unique story. "I've been in the Marines since February the 7th, 1988," said Staff Sgt. Joseph Bennett.

Twenty years as a marine. Twenty years serving his country. And during those 20 years, Staff Sgt. Bennett has had a career, a very successful career in several industries, which has afforded him the chance to live a very comfortable life.

"What does it mean to you to be a Marine that keeps you coming back to this?" I asked. "A sense of pride, a sense of belonging, a sense of service to my country," he replied.

Bennett has no real need to work after the sale of some businesses, but he still chooses to serve. His "easy life" involves weekends with the Marines and tours of duty. "Somebody who's not been a Marine can't understand why you would keep coming back. Why you come out in February weather and you come out to the field and you enjoy frozen food, but you do those things and you enjoy it because you get to work with the people you get to work with and do the things you get to do," Bennett said.

Bennett's reason for his continued commitment to the values behind Semper Fi is the values that have kept that motto strong for the last 125 years. "There's a lot of enjoyment in the things we do here. But the most fun that I have is working with the fine young marines that we have here. Training them, giving them knowledge and experience and that's one of the things that's the most important I have to give," Bennett said.

The average age of a marine is 23, nine years younger than any other branch. So Staff Sgt Bennett works with many young marines. Two of them are Cpl. Heath Morris LCpl. Michael Morris, and they are brothers.

"What do your parents say that you're both in the Marines?" I asked. "Little positive, little negative. They're worried about us going overseas but at the same time, they're prideful," they said.

Though the two don't work together directly, Cpl. Morris is LCpl. Morris' superior officer, and they both agree, having each other there makes live as a Marine easier.

The stories are endless. Marines helping marines and always living up to the virtues of Semper Fi.

What It Takes To Be A Marine Training For War
The Marines - a military tradition now 233 years in the making. The men and women of the United States Marine Corps take time out of their lives to serve on battlefields across the globe and during training exercises stateside. NewsChannel 11's Justin Michaels has more on this unique group of Americans.

Ellie

thedrifter
11-19-08, 11:19 AM
What It Takes To Be A Marine Training For War

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 01:12 PM

The Marines - a military tradition now 233 years in the making. The men and women of the United States Marine Corps take time out of their lives to serve on battlefields across the globe and during training exercises stateside.

"Keep your eyes up. Keep your ears open. Let's get on the buses and get out on the field where we belong to get the training going," commanded, 1st Sgt. Aaron McDonald of the 6th Motor Transport Battalion based in Lubbock.

Marines as young as 18 years old train to use weapons like the Browning M2 .50 caliber machine gun. It's the largest machine gun in the US arsenal weighing in at 128 pounds. "The fifty cal is probably my favorite thing about being a Marine," said Marine LCpl. Morgan Smith.

This favorite weapon of any Marine can successfully hit and take out a target at two kilometers. However it's not just guns on the battlefield for which these Marines are training. There is a far more dangerous weapon in use every day, targeting Marines and other U.S. military personnel on the front lines of battle. It's the improvised explosive device, or I.E.D.

I.E.D.'s, used by insurgents in the Middle East, are the number one killer of U.S. military personnel overseas. So to traing, they do so in a blackout, using only night vision video. Marines train with N.V.G's, or night vision goggles, because they train in blackness.

"It's as close as possible, the training we get because tonight we'll see and hear the boom and the flash of when you actually hit an I.E.D," said Staff Sgt. Jesse Rodriguez. Real explosives are used to simulate what an I.E.D blast might be like at night, giving Marines on the job training in handling the stress of the battlefield.

One tool saving Marine lives weighs in at 14,000 pounds. It's the Oshkosh seven ton truck. This truck is the main transport for Marines but its customizable and can be armored, used as a tow truck, and used as a weapons position for the Browning .50 caliber machine gun.

On the firing range no precaution is left undone to assure all Marines are safe. But at the end of the day, training aside, the Marines are men and women so proud of their country they choose to serve. They choose to be a Marine.

"What does it mean for you to be a Marine?" asked NewsChannel 11. "Oh it's great. I love it. Just, the prestige, what I like about it most is just the confidence," said Cpl. Blake Pitts.

"It's a lot easier for me than my family. It's a job. It's something that we do and we don't do it because we don't love it. It's a lot easier for me than my family," added LCpl. Smith.

Ellie