PDA

View Full Version : What to bring to SOI

CGoode0422
11-18-08, 09:09 PM
I am scheduled to go to Camp Geiger, NC for School of Infantry;

I never recieved a brief about SOI, so I don't know exactly what to bring, what I WANT to bring, or what it will be like as far as training or libo is concerned.

Can some 03's shed some light about what I will need to bring or what you wished you would have brought, what the average schedule in SOI looks like, or any little tips that might be helpful, please?

Thanks

Lucky13
11-21-08, 04:57 AM
Its been some years since I was there, 1996. But I would suggest you keep atleast 1 set of BDU's and your check in uniform with you as a carry on. My gear got lost on the flight and took around a week to get it. Take everything you were issued, some civilain clothes, if you smoke or don't even smoke buy a cartoon of smokes and a log of chew. When I was in SOI I could sell 1 cig for up to 5 bucks a pop while in the field. Get some No-Doze you don't wanna be falling to sleep in class I would suggest 2-3 bottles so you can keep awake and you are gonna have people asking for some. Make sure you have some money atleast 2-300 bucks, when I was there alot of guys did not get a paycheck until the 2nd month there. Get a watch if you don't already have one a decent notebook for keeping notes. Most this stuff you will be able to get at the PX on base. Your SOI Instructors will give you a list of items you will need. You may want some some moltron for any headaches or aches that you may come across... does'nt hurt to have it on ya. Battery operated shavers are nice also. You might wanna take some pictures so grab a camera again this stuff can be bought at the PX but them sorta items go fast. Bring a Phone Card !!! Some guys had small walkmans I guess now a days it would be Ipods and mp3 players. Good Luck Devil Dog

Lucky13
11-21-08, 05:28 AM
BTW one more quick thing, when and if you get liberty don't go into town looking like a B00T put some civilan shoes (not your spit shined boots) on and don't go into town with $800 bucks on ya. Thats asking to get robbed. Always use the buddy system 2-4 friends at all times I suggest while off base. Don't forget there are people out in town looking to scam, jump, mug you guys and 85% of you will have a wallet full of cash. If you are gonna take alot of cash put some in your sock. Don't end up like some of the guys from our school that went out got **** faced talked smack because they were a Marine and showed back up in formation Sunday evening with stiches and black eyes along with no money =D.

Pete0331
11-21-08, 06:42 AM
I am scheduled to go to Camp Geiger, NC for School of Infantry;

I never recieved a brief about SOI, so I don't know exactly what to bring, what I WANT to bring, or what it will be like as far as training or libo is concerned.

Can some 03's shed some light about what I will need to bring or what you wished you would have brought, what the average schedule in SOI looks like, or any little tips that might be helpful, please?

Thanks

You will need to take everything that was issued at Boot Camp. Make sure every item is serviceable.
There will be guidance when you are in receiving on the other items you will need for training.

Get rid of all the black boot socks and get green.
Lose the Boot Camp go fasters and get a pair of civilian running shoes.
Lose the Boot Camp shower shoes, and buy a pair that are easily identifiable as your own, bright orange, red, pink, etc., to deter thieves
One or two sets of civilian clothes, to include civilian shoes.
Don't wear combat boots on libo.

The first chance you have when you get there, buy 2 new canteens and a new camelbak bladder from cash sales. What you will be issued has been used by many, many students.
Don't be tempted with all the "high speed" gear they sell there.

Don't buy Blues, wait till you get to the Fleet.
Don't bring a bunch of extra crap.

When you get to your respective training company there will be a schedule posted for all the students to look at.