PDA

View Full Version : LHS grad takes pride in being a Marine

thedrifter
11-18-08, 07:59 PM
LHS grad takes pride in being a Marine
by alexis on Tuesday, November 18 @ 13:26:56 MST

By Alexis Tarrazi
Senior Reporter

LYNDHURST (Nov. 20, 2008) — Taking a selfless and bold step forward, Anthony Spagnola IV, 18, immediately enlisted in the U.S. Marines after graduating high school in June of this year. For Spagnola, that date wasn’t soon enough, as he’s wanted to join since he was 8 years old.

“I wanted to serve my country, just like my father did,” Spagnola said. “After high school, I just didn’t want to sit home and do nothing. I wanted to do something with my life.”

In July, Spagnola began his life-changing experience — an experience that many servicemen and women are undergoing throughout the nation — when he began three months of pushups, situps and miles of running and marching, also known as boot camp.

“In the beginning, it’s like a culture shock, because you are so used to being home and doing whatever you want, and then you go there, and it is ‘Yes sir! No sir!’ ” he said.

Spagnola said he had to march 9 1/2 miles with his rifle and pack, which was stuffed with everything he owned.

Training hard every day, Spagnola survived boot camp and graduated Oct. 24. Returning home for a short stint before being reassigned, Spagnola said he could already see a difference in himself.

“I feel very different,” he said. “I know it is myself growing up and becoming much more mature. Before I was very immature and had the ‘high school kid’ tendency. But I switched around very, very fast. Boot camp taught me how to be a Marine, and taught me to be a better civilian also.”

While home for less than a month, Spagnola worked as a recruiter’s assistant. “I really would encourage others to join,” Spagnola said. “I believe in America (that) everybody should at least serve two years of military service. It teaches you how to be a proper gentleman.”

Walking down the streets of Lyndhurst, Spagnola noted how proud he felt to be a Marine. “You have no idea how it feels,” he said. “It’s a really good feeling when you walk in the street and someone says thank you for serving us. There is nothing like it.”

On Nov. 17, Spagnola was deployed to North Carolina for 30 days of combat training, where he will learn to use machine guns and grenades.

After combat training, Spagnola will begin six weeks of job training before being deployed, most likely to Iraq or Afghanistan.

“No, not really,” Spagnola said when asked about his nerves over being deployed. “I signed up for this; I know what I got myself into. I know what I signed up for. I have to be ready for anything. … I am very excited to be in the Marines and going to a fleet. It is nice being home, but I just want to go get the ball rolling. I want to get out in the real Marine fleet force. I want to start.”

Extremely proud of Anthony IV’s decision to serve is Anthony III, his father, who served in the Marines in Beirut.

“I was a big proponent of the military because I think it is good for young men,” Anthony III said.

As for the idea that his son will most likely be deployed, the father said he is worried, but has confidence in his son. “What I feel good about is that this is something he wants to do,” he said. “As crazy as it sounds, he wants to go to one of those places. But for obvious reasons, I am absolutely worried, and I will be praying for him every day.”

Ellie