PDA

View Full Version : My wife needs a job.

DarrinC
11-18-08, 06:50 PM
Well I got married on Sept 13th to my girlfriend of 5 1/2 years. I moved her up to Jacksonville right after the wedding, long story short she needs a job. Not really for financial reasons, because we had savings before we got married. But for the fact that she is going to loose her mind. She has been working since she was 16, then she worked full time and went to school full time. She is graduating in two weeks with a BA in criminal justice. She is a work-a-holic, and she is beating herself up over not having a job for so long. She has put out over 30 applications, and not one call back so far. I have a very strong feeling that when she graduate in two weeks and still doesn't even have hope of a job she is going to go into a huge state of depression and I really don't want that to happen.

So I have a couple of questions for some of the wives. How long did it take for you to get a job? Where are some good places to work, with her qualifactions ? I've tried saying everything to her to make her feel better, but what else can I do to reassure her that it will be ok?

Thanks for all the help

temarti
11-18-08, 11:26 PM
If she has sent out to 30 Companies, what exactly is she wanting to do. I see that she is graduating with the CJ, is she wanting to stay within her degree?

Phantom Blooper
11-19-08, 06:46 AM
Sometimes in life one must start out low before they can achieve height. Wal-Mart & K-Mart are hiring for the holiday seasonal help.

Anything is better than not doing anything and biatching because one is going nuts.

If out of 30 applications and no replies I would consider a different approach. SMEAC....

There are plenty of jobs open in the J'ville area especially for the military dependents. It may not be in her MOS....but to keep her off the psych ward at the naval hospital anything is doable until one in her degree opens up. What is her degree?:evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
11-19-08, 06:54 AM
What is her degree?

BA in criminal justice

:beer:

SGT7477
11-19-08, 07:29 AM
Open a Day Care and like Chuck said Wal-Mart and K-mart.

0231Marine
11-19-08, 07:34 AM
If she has submitted 30 applications with no responses, it might be that her resume needs some work. Also, you might want to try somewhere on the base. I always see dependants working in the commissary and other places so maybe she could do that while still applying for something more up her alley. Perhaps at the JAG office or maybe PMO needs some civilian help?

Regardless, best of luck!

Phantom Blooper
11-19-08, 07:36 AM
Open a Day Care

Yeah...that Criminal Justice degree would come in handy!:evilgrin:

DobbinsBlythe
11-19-08, 07:45 AM
When we thought that David was getting stationed in Jacksonville, I freaked out. I got on careerbuilder and only TWELVE jobs were posted. That place doesn't have much as far as pre-grad jobs. I would suggest, if she starts losing her mind, for her to get a few good hobbies.

I was a workaholic. I'm now a housewife because the stress from the job I had made me miscarry and my husband refuses to let me subject myself to that again. Now, I concentrate on writing music, cleaning, finding new recipes (and yes, Al, I've been working on some but I'm severely preoccupied with our PCS), training my dog, volunteering (that would be a good thing to get her into.).. etc.

I can tell you though, not working is a huge ego-buster for myself. Just like a man who isn't breadwinner or at least contributing anymore, a workaholic woman will feel like she's lost. So.. (I'm not saying you do this) just don't say things like "well you shouldn't be tired, you're at home all day." or "I'm the one working and bringing home the money you spend!" (those are not good....)

Anyway, I hope she finds something soon. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

OH YEAH! Try to get her on with some TEMP AGENCIES!!!! They can help her get her foot in the door and work with her on her resume. Career counseling is also available for spouses on nearly every base, so send her that way as well. I think Manpower (temp/employment agency) gives spouse preference for AD military spouses. Also, she should check http://www.usajobs.gov to see if maybe she can get employment on base there in Jacksonville or in the surrounding areas/bases.

Anyway, God Bless!

SGT7477
11-19-08, 08:35 AM
Yeah...that Criminal Justice degree would come in handy!:evilgrin:

Lmfao.:flag:

temarti
11-19-08, 09:49 PM
Darrin, 0231 is spot on with the resume, if her degree is CJ and she sends resumes out to Companies looking for Loss Prevention, Investigators, etc. and within that group you have sent to positions that are entry level, sales, child care. Who is her audience?

If I am looking for an new grad that is searching for an entry management position in Loss Prevention and I receive a resume that has all the cut and paste themes that describe everything except what I am looking for, then that one has no chance.

The applicant may have been the one I was looking for, however most people do not have the time to interview everyone, the top three is a norm.

I would take another look at the resume, decide what she wants to do, make that your audience. Remember, blindly sending out resumes is like the lottery.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-19-08, 09:58 PM
It takes time. Just encourage her and keep her spirits up as best as possible. Kmart and Wal Mart weren't bad suggestions. They often need help in the loss prevention areas. As a CJ grad she would be qualified for those positions, even is she had to start as a cashier or customer service person.

montana
11-19-08, 10:09 PM
have her do dishes laundery,sweep mop wax the floor...have babys wash dypers ect ect...that out ta keep her occupied.....
bet i hear something about that

gee why does everybody pick on meeee

SlingerDun
11-19-08, 10:37 PM
long story short she needs a job. Not really for financial reasonsOkay i see, she feels the need to work. I understand. And if a job is not linear with her forthcoming degree will she still feel like working? I reckon a retail outlet is a good place as any to find out for real. It is a harsh bummer to complete years of training and realize that potential employers haven't been waiting with baited breath for you to graduate.

Luckily it's not like the pre.www.days (http://www.days) when you had to dress smart, wear out tires and shoe leather and show up in person to stand in line and submit a single application.

Now she can submit say....30! In the same amount of time it took to get 1 or 2 resumes to an outfit, back in the day. And she doesn't have to take time off the "temporary" job thats keeping her busy, Good Luck. Work is work until you find a job you really admire then its a profession IMNSHO

--->Dave

ia3842
11-19-08, 10:44 PM
My son-in-law is based at Twentynine Palms. My daughter moved there last Nov. She also applied for every job she could find. Nothing came of it. She went to the KVs and volunteered on the hospitality committee and makes goodie bags for the Wonded Warrors and casserols for new parents. She also volunteered at the Navy Marine Relief Society. They always need help and with her college degree, they will love her. She met some great woman there. Our daughter finally got a job in her degree area in Sept. hang in there

JZfs720
11-19-08, 11:31 PM
I'm not the wife of a Marine, but I'm an Army wife. When I first got to Fayetteville, I was miserable. No job,no family...all I knew was my husband. I've always worked as well, and I put in what seems like 100s of applications. What others have been saying is correct.

You have to start out small. I work in retail. Especially around the holidays, retail is always in need of employees. If her goal is just to work, there's no shame in starting off in a position you feel is "beneath" you, though there's nothing wrong with retail. Tell her to keep striving for that dream job, and God will make a way, because He knows her heart. I'm in school and working as well, and I am so much happier because I feel whole. I have my husband, and I have my own life, and soon I will have the Corps as well. It's hard at first, but keep praying.

hrscowboy
11-20-08, 04:48 AM
heck send her to farrier school theres always work being one of them.....

temarti
11-20-08, 09:37 AM
Echo is right on Wal-Mart, in Jacksonville there is every retailer you can imagine. I would bet it is not hard to find a Loss Prevention position there. We are a week before the kick off of the busiest season for this industry. If they are hiring seasonal and she works out well any good company will keep her.

I start WM Loss Prevention in 96 after going back to school and leaving the Marine Corps. I will state that the 11.5yrs I had with them were great for myself and the family. In the positions that I was promoted into I was able to move around quite a bit both domestic and international.

With you being a Marine, and knowing that you will be making moves, whether your enlistment is only 4 or you take the long road, your wife can find an LP position that will allow her to transfer as you move.

Again, look on base, LeJeune is big and New River just did a grand opening last week. Have her check them out.

ecom
11-20-08, 10:30 AM
This isn't the best time to look for a job. Given the current state of the economy, a lot of companies need to hire but can't afford to do so; instead, they are faced with having to lay people off.

Larger bases should have a career resource office that offer assistance in job hunting, resume writing, and even provides some skill training like MS Office certification (which is better than saying you just know how to use it). At 29 Palms, this was run by MCCS but I don't know if your spouse can use it or not. YOu may want to see if you have something similar at your base.

ecom
11-20-08, 10:37 AM
I you haven't already looked, check with local, federal, and state government agencies.

DobbinsBlythe
11-20-08, 12:24 PM
have her do dishes laundery,sweep mop wax the floor...have babys wash dypers ect ect...that out ta keep her occupied.....
bet i hear something about that

gee why does everybody pick on meeee

Yeah, you're definitely right someone's gonna say something about that. Obviously she wants to work. I'm a housewife right now and it's a HARD adjustment b/c I was the breadwinner in our household for the entirety of our relationship up until now (we've been together for 7 years and lived together for 5.. married for 2). Some women choose to be housewives. If she wants to work, she has every right to make that decision for herself. I say good on her husband for seeking to help her. That's a good man right there. A man who would stick a woman barefoot pregnant and in the kitchen without her consent is the type of man that I'd tell to get out of my house.

Just my 2 cents.

hrscowboy
11-20-08, 01:08 PM
hey a farrier (horse shoein and trimmin feet) makes good money and its cash money i know theres several Cowboys here in leatherneck that could teach her the business...

SlingerDun
11-20-08, 06:04 PM
hehehe there might be a quick and dirty crash course in shoein' offered somewhere around.... Mayberry

hrscowboy
11-20-08, 07:09 PM
welp i know they get 40.00 to trim and 125.00 to shoe a horse that aint bad money ifin you had 3 or 4 horses a day to do.. Thats what they get in my neck of the woods for now..

SlingerDun
11-21-08, 05:18 PM
UPS Fedex DHL etc.. hire mobs of seasonal workers and it's not all humping freight. Even the package handling jobs are not so tough.

Loss Prevention sounds like security guard? If so it's a much better gig for what you get paid than the day work outfits like Labor Ready.... show up at the office around 0530 and wait, wait, wait for a hard physical minimum wage job that nobody wants to keep full time. It's hard to make a dollar with that outfit.

yellowwing
11-21-08, 06:07 PM
Criminal Justice in Jacksonville sounds like a match, what does she really want to do? investigate and arrest a horse doesn't sound like it.

temarti
11-21-08, 09:52 PM
There is a vast difference between LP and security guards, if she wants to gain experience in investigations, accident prevention, business continuity and threat assessments then LP is a good field and the money is very good. If you want to check doors, parking lots and control keys then security is the route. With a degree I would think gaining a return on investment would be the way to go.

DarrinC
11-22-08, 06:01 AM
Thank you for all your response. Before she wanted to stick with her degree, however right now she is just looking for almost anything. She wants to work on base however they have classifications you have to fall under. We weren't married when I got stationed here, so the only one that she falls under is part time student. But in two weeks she wont be that either, so she will be screwed.

I actually never thought about the Loss Prevention jobs, I'll mention that to her.

You guys think it was a joke about the horse job. However she loves horses to death, and if someone around here was going to apprentice her. I actually think she would do it haha.

I looked over her resume, I thought it was pretty good. If anyone wanted to see it and make suggestions I would be more then willing to email it to you. I'm willing to take all the help I can get.

Thanks again

DobbinsBlythe
11-22-08, 10:29 AM
Thank you for all your response. Before she wanted to stick with her degree, however right now she is just looking for almost anything. She wants to work on base however they have classifications you have to fall under. We weren't married when I got stationed here, so the only one that she falls under is part time student. But in two weeks she wont be that either, so she will be screwed.

I actually never thought about the Loss Prevention jobs, I'll mention that to her.

You guys think it was a joke about the horse job. However she loves horses to death, and if someone around here was going to apprentice her. I actually think she would do it haha.

I looked over her resume, I thought it was pretty good. If anyone wanted to see it and make suggestions I would be more then willing to email it to you. I'm willing to take all the help I can get.

Thanks again

I would strongly suggest taking her to career counseling on base. I know for a FACT that they offer it to anyone with a dependant ID.

Also, www.usajobs.gov is the total listing of EVER federal employment position that's open. Just because she doesn't fill a non-compete doesn't mean that she can't apply for federal jobs. Given the fact that she's almost done with her degree, she should have no problem finding something either in Jacksonville or closer to Cherry Point. As long as she's willing to drive and to not limit herself to a 15 mile radius, I have all faith she can get a job. Don't limit the "on base" thing to just the jobs posted @ Lejeune. Those are BASE jobs.. not necessarily the federal employment opportunities that you (I'm sure) are missing.

Have you called city/county authorities to see if she can get a foot in with law enforcement?

Oh.. and about the "classifications you have to fall under"... That's only while claiming spouse preference. Spouse preference means you have to have been on orders to get there. HOWEVER.. ANYONE CAN APPLY TO ON BASE JOBS! I know that for a fact.

Phantom Blooper
11-22-08, 03:20 PM
Have you called city/county authorities to see if she can get a foot in with law enforcement?

Not in Jacksonville or Onslow County unless you know someone or are prior military...the "Good Old Boy" network rules!Although she may be able to apply for clerical or dispatch.:evilgrin:

jldun87
11-24-08, 10:42 AM
Have her register on the NC Employment Security Comission website- http://www.ncesc.com. You can apply for jobs through that website. Just let her know that it may take quite a while to find a job that she really likes and pays decently. I used to work on base, and it was fun, but the pay wasn't too great. Jacksonville has such a high population, with more and more Marines and their families moving here, with not so many jobs. She will be able to find a job very fast if she applies everywhere that is hiring, but to find that job that she really wants will take some time. Good luck!

Ladymimi
11-29-08, 04:12 PM
KIND OF WORK :ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. The City of Jacksonville, Florida seeks a dynamic, motivated individual to be a member of our leadership team. The Chief of the Division of Military Affairs, Veterans and Disabled Services is tasked with: Conducting military affairs responsibilities - this constitutes close interaction with consultants, military bases, personnel and missions conducted in NE FL and includes economic and business impacts. Leading Veterans Services - this division responsibility includes filing of disability claims, employment and social services assistance, homeless veterans programs, and events designed to recognize the contribution of Veterans to our Nation. Supervising Disabled Services - this assignment includes implementation of Americans with Disability Act throughout Jacksonville, disabled parking enforcement, as well as support to all citizens with disabilities. OPEN REQUIREMENTS :Qualified candidates must have a bachelors’ degree or higher and at least five years of administrative experience in at least one of the areas of responsibility listed below in examples of work. Public relations skills, proven legislative interaction abilities, and extensive experience with community outreach programs highly desirable.EXAMPLES OF WORK :(Not intended to be all-inclusive)

Conducting military affairs responsibilities - this constitutes close interaction with consultants, military bases, personnel and missions conducted in NE FL and includes economic and business impacts.
Leading Veterans Services - this division responsibility includes filing of disability claims, employment and social services assistance, homeless veterans programs, and events designed to recognize the contribution of Veterans to our Nation.
Supervising Disabled Services - this assignment includes implementation of Americans with Disability Act throughout Jacksonville, disabled parking enforcement, as well as support to all citizens with disabilities.
and More..look at this

Phantom Blooper
11-29-08, 04:47 PM
KIND OF WORK :ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. The City of Jacksonville, Florida

Ladymimi,

That is a good thought....however that would be one hell of a commute...even if gas is coming down.... considering he and her are living in Jacksonville,NC.:beer:

:evilgrin:

Ladymimi
11-29-08, 09:03 PM
:cry: sorry..my bad..I'll research again ..!! and find someting in the right place ..:cool:. :beer:

tgwkreu7
11-29-08, 09:18 PM
i was in the prison system for 9 years as a teacher if you have a prison near by or a police station near by she could go to one of them and inquire and they could advice her where to apply even go to the FBI or places similar to that