PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam era 2nd Batt. Recon

Eric Hood
11-18-08, 06:18 PM
Fellow Leathernecks!
I have a historicial question. If a Marine came into the Corps in the late sixties or early seventies, what would his chances be of getting into 2nd Recon and earning Gold Parachute wings ? Would this be likely to be achieved in a two-year enlistment?
Semper Fi,
Eric:usmc:

bigdog43701
11-18-08, 06:35 PM
i guess it would have been possible, however not probable. most recon newbies had at least a year and a half in before being "invited" to try out. then you went into an extensive training program, to prepare you for RIC. i guess it would be possible for someone to do it though. Marines HATE lead wings, and i have seen some Marines that went through basic jump school straight out of boot and then get assigned to a Recon Bn.

FistFu68
11-18-08, 07:40 PM
:usmc: 2ND FORCE HAD ME DOING PULLUPS OFF THE WATER TOWER TOP RAIL AT CAMP GEIGHER BEFORE I WENT 2 FT.BENNING AFTER ITR.IT WAS ONLY VOLUNTEER'S THE WAR WAS EATING MARINES UP :usmc: :iwo:

Zebra29er
11-19-08, 01:39 PM
+ 1 Bigdog , It took me 18 months after jump school to get an invite and another 2 years for gold . and that was out of a 6 year term, out on a med , physical :flag: