View Full Version : Parris Island during winter months

mrod32
11-18-08, 02:12 PM
I ship off to recruit training on 20090105
and I was wondering if any Marines who
have gone to training during this time period
can share their experiences about the weather,
and any other things that may be different during
these months. Your responses will be greatly appreciated.

MGySgtSki
11-18-08, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I went to Parris Island on 10 Jan 1988 and it was DAMN cold as I remember it through February and then it started warming up. Don't worry, they'll make sure you stay nice and cozy.....

S/F

mamiehughes
11-18-08, 02:31 PM
I arrived at the end of February and FROZE my butt off standing on those yellow footprints. By graduation time it was HOT as hell. You'll be fine.

sscjoe
11-18-08, 02:48 PM
Dec 75-Feb 76, Chilly in Dec-- Cold and wet in Jan-- Warmed up in Feb and the sand fleas came out.

brian21johansen
11-18-08, 02:58 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA have fun

I am from Boston Massachusetts......it gets very cold in Boston in case you didn't know. And when I say cold I freakin' mean it. Like, freezing my cajones off kinda cold.

Let it be known that the coldest I have EVER been is when I was at MCRD Parris Island. I was there from the 29th of October until the 25th of January....my dates are a little different than yours but trust me, you will feel the cold. Back home, when it was freezing cold out you can throw 250 sweatshirts on if you want. In boot camp, you'll be lucky if the DI's let you wear 1 sweatshirt. At the rifle range, my whole body was numb. My butt stock was covered in snot from my running nose. During BWT we had to sit down on the old flight line for what seemed like eternity while we got some important class.....an important class that nobody could concentrate on. In case you were wondering....it is hard to concentrate when your balls are frozen and you can't feel your but cheeks. The hardest thing in boot camp for me was probably just enduring the cold. It's a lot harder to put up with cold when you can't move around (half the time your at the POA while in formation) or when you can't wear what you like.

This all being said, I have no right to complain because the Marines in Korea, mainly at the Chosin Reservoir put up with more misery than I can ever imagine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chosin_Reservoir

Sooooooooo when you are freezing your @$$ off at bootcamp just remember than the Marines at the Chosin Reservoir dealt with more cold than you can even imagine!

mrod32
11-18-08, 03:27 PM
thanks for all of your responses thus far.
i guess i better start accepting that i'm gonna be freezing my balls off. i lived in florida my whole life and cold to me is 70 degrees witha light breeze

TJR1070
11-18-08, 03:40 PM
I went to PI on Dec. 27 1988 and it cold but not Northeast cold. It snowed once and other than that BWT was a little cold at night. We got issued long underwear though which made for more Drill Instructor games, like put everything you own on now. I'm a thin guy but once I put on the long underwear, sweats, cammies and a field jacket I looked like the Sta-Puft marshmallow man. Good Times!

thewookie
11-18-08, 03:43 PM
It gets cold there in the winter, but don't worry your DI's will keep you nice and toasty. Bring a nice sweater and you should be fine....

MGySgtSki
11-18-08, 03:48 PM
It gets cold there in the winter, but don't worry your DI's will keep you nice and toasty. Bring a nice sweater and you should be fine....

You forgot the ear muffs...gotta have the ear muffs....:evilgrin:

stein07
11-18-08, 06:06 PM
Enjoy it. There are no bugs in the winter. You are lucky.

CplKJSpevak
11-18-08, 07:23 PM
God, all I wore were sweaters when I got home on Boot leave, From Nov-Feb.....Cold and friggin wet at Parris Island!

SlingerDun
11-18-08, 07:59 PM
Mrod it's cold because you will be outside considerably more than you are now, probably. Field jackets if they issue them are flimsy.

There was a Marine here last year from L.A. amazed at how cold it was at Camp Pendleton SOI not far from his former AO where he never experienced more than a chill.

Well, Pendleton weather patterns are far from arctic conditions even on the highest summit in winter, with a stiff ocean breeze. Unless you live under a helmet and poncho then it's cold. It don't matter where you're from if it's 30 something degrees with rain and wind, tough will only prolong hypothermia.

I did see on the TV a sect of monks somewhere in Central Asia who tranced and spent the night outside and woke up with frost on their thin robes and appeared to be healthy when they filed off for morning chow, but i doubt that same crew made it a daily habit.

NoRemorse
11-19-08, 09:50 AM
Don't lose your gloves. They may have changed SOP but when one recruit lost his gloves we all lost our gloves. Can't look squared away when you're not all looking regulation, ya know.

Get used to your poncho liner too.

DIUSMC
11-19-08, 01:53 PM
Congratulations and Good luck son. You have picked the prime time of year to go through it. It will be more rainy than normal and comfortable as far as temperatures go. All your needs will be taken cared of,and when you are told to drink...DRINK. It may be cool and you may not feel thirsty but you are. I spent almost a third of my carreer on Parris Island and loved every season!

FONZ57
11-19-08, 03:22 PM
I Was A Primary Marksmanship Instructor (pmi) On Pi For 2 Years. Best Duty I Had During My Time In The Corps! It's Cold And Rainy This Time Of Year But The Best Time To Go Through Bootcamp! Your Di's Will Make Sure Your Nice And Warm.

When You Get To The Rifle Range Its Going To Be A Different Story. Kneeling, Sitting And Laying On The Ground For Hours Practicing During Your Snap In Week And Qualifying Week You Are Going To Get Cold! You'll Do All Right Though, If You Want Do Be A "marine!" Good Luck And Don't Volunteer For Anything!

BR34
11-19-08, 04:51 PM
Don't lose your gloves. They may have changed SOP but when one recruit lost his gloves we all lost our gloves. Can't look squared away when you're not all looking regulation, ya know.

Get used to your poncho liner too.

****, they never even let us wear our gloves!!! I went from Jan 28-April 27. Only once wore gloves--rappel tower.

Coldest part of boot camp for me was the Crucible nights.

Sgt Jim
11-19-08, 06:38 PM
Went through in Oct 69,hot enough for sand fleas,then cold enough to freeze the wash racks between the barracks.I miss the good times.

CplKJSpevak
11-19-08, 07:17 PM
I still got my Wooly Pully

03grunt11
11-19-08, 07:48 PM
It will be cold but you will be nice and warm when the DI get done with you everyday. Cold is going to ADAK AK for a year. IT snow everyday and when it not snowing it is raining. So a little cold weather will not kill you. Good luck and keep your head down...

NoRemorse
11-20-08, 08:33 AM
The Drill Instructors will glady share their body warmth with you. All you have to do is open your friggen ears and they'll keep your brain from freezing.

Bonzack
11-23-08, 07:00 AM
I just graduated..and it started getting freaking cold about the end of October. I'm from Michigan and I was sitting there freezing my ass off in BWT.

Banshee
11-24-08, 02:50 PM
i just graduated this last friday--and it was cold as hell. so, good luck to you. but, a plus is that the males get all the amenities, beanies, gloves, sweaters...you name it ;) and the officers are stepping in more so it won't be near as harsh as what you expect.

mrod32
11-24-08, 04:56 PM
thanks again guys for all the relpies,
another question about the cold though,
would i be able to have chapstick? I know
it may sound crazy but without it the cold weather
really does it number on my lips.

DIUSMC
11-24-08, 05:02 PM
mrod, just remember one thing. you are going to be taken cared of. This is not punishment, you are not going to jail. You will be given everything that you need to get through. Everything that you heard is probably true, but I promise you you will need nothing. WE are fighting in two wars right now, you have stepped up and decided to join the fight, this is also duly noted. Your instructors will be proud of you, I as a "lifer" am proud of you, be proud of yourself, and have no worries.

MLMonk
11-24-08, 08:48 PM
You get issued chapstick actually, in the 1st day there. Parris Island is not really cold, but it's the humidity and wind that makes it worse.

TJR1070
11-24-08, 09:50 PM
They issue chapstick now? I remember getting my initial issue but anything that wasn't specifically for cleaning, shaving or shining we didn't keep it. We put everything else in the gear locker and a lot of stuff I never saw again!

CarolinaMarine
11-25-08, 12:42 AM
It sucks forming for chow at 2nd BN and having the wind blow right off the water at you. Its COLD! By the time i hit the range in November i was freezing. It doesn't help that you rise before the sun comes out and thats usually when its the coldest. The early mornings are the worst, the evenings and days arn't terrible.

I can't remember exact initial issue, but i do remember being afforded the opportunity to have chapstick later in training. I would not pull it out and use it in the middle of a formation though lol.

We had all the cold weather gear as well, never got to use them except maybe at the range. If the DIs don't want to wear it, you ain't wearing it.

All in all, its no where NEAR as cold as it was at MCT at Geiger, holy balls it hurt. Snowed on us one night, and the CLP was freezing while we were trying to clean weapons. By far the worst part of training for me.

Mindgame
11-25-08, 01:05 AM
I don't remember if chapstick was issued to us or not, but i remember we were able to get it. Just don't use it when your not supposed to. I don't remember who the kid was, but I remember the DI making him eat it while we were in our barracks.

As for the cold. Im also from the Boston area, so it wasn't to bad for me. I was there from jan 28- april 25. I felt bad for the guys from down south. I hated where 2nd Bn would PT. Our spot was just mud, so our gloves, and sweats would get wet, and we would have to run the three miles after that.

By the time you get out onto the range, it'll be even colder there. Its all open so the wind is pretty bad. I felt bad for the guys on the morning relay. I was lucky enough to do the targets in the morning, and run around to keep warm, while other guys hat to sit around and wait to fire first.

My advice. Try your best to stay away from anyone who gets sick. Don't share your water. **** spreads fast. We had a bunch of people get minor colds, then the entire H Co. (All 6 decks) got checked by Corpsmen. They went deck to deck checking every recruit. Unfortunetly. They sent me for chest xrays, and I had phenomia (SP?).

CarolinaMarine
11-25-08, 01:09 AM
As for the cold. Im also from the Boston area, so it wasn't to bad for me. I was there from jan 28- april 25. I felt bad for the guys from down south. I hated where 2nd Bn would PT. Our spot was just mud, so our gloves, and sweats would get wet, and we would have to run the three miles after that.

Worst PT field on PI no question. Did you get any of the ants coming back around April? I was there for Summer, Fall, and Winter so i got the heat, cold, ants, and sand fleas. The ants on the 2nd BN field were terrible.

I was on morning relay :( sucked trying to hold still while sighting in. I was shaking uncontrollably.

Mindgame
11-25-08, 01:27 AM
We started seeing the ants just before we left for the range. Then they started getting bad out there. Same thing with the sand fleas. They seemd to love recruits standing in formation, and drilling while waiting for chow.

mrod32
11-26-08, 12:13 AM
i appreciate all of your replies Marines
you guys truly are a brotherhood.