PDA

View Full Version : Possesion of your gun

scotch
11-17-08, 10:03 AM
How is it possible that you get to bring your weapon home after being in the marine corps of while on leave?
Do you purchase it or something?:nerd:

Phantom Blooper
11-17-08, 10:08 AM
FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE...AND READ THE POSTING RULES! AND YOU MAY GET ANSWERS TO THIS GREAT QUESTION!:evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
11-17-08, 10:30 AM
You don't take a government issued weapon home with you...it has serial #'s on it for accountability. It does not leave the installation armory except for training,drill,cleaning or war.

It wouldn't be a pretty sight to see a bunch of drunk Marines on liberty or leave with the M16A2 or another weapon slung across their back or shoulder and pizz them off in a club.

The government owns the weaponry and issues you a weapons card to draw only your weapon from the unit armory. You give the card the armorer gives you the weapon.

If you live in the barracks your personal weapons rifles,handguns E.T. go in the unit armory. If you are married living out in town you can keep your weapons out in town. On base housing you may keep your weapons but again there is strict accountability with the base military police.:evilgrin:

scotch
11-17-08, 10:35 AM
so its not yours, but you can take it with you, but you have to return it to the armory.
Did i get that right?

Phantom Blooper
11-17-08, 10:47 AM
It's NOT YOURS...technically you are responsible for it...AND IT'S YOURS BECAUSE YOU ARE ASSIGNED IT but it ain't like you go and buy it from the government.

It's issued to you and strictly controlled. You are responsible for it while you are assigned to the unit that you are with.

You can't just go get get it on Friday and bring it back Monday morning after a weekend of shooting with your home boys.

It doesn't work like the K-Mart..Wal-Mart shot gun.:evilgrin:

fjmas1976
11-17-08, 10:48 AM
The weapon is not yours, it belongs to the Marine Corpos and the Government. They just let you use it. You are issued a weapon and when it comes time to use it for range, cleaning,etc you go to the armory and draw your weapon that is stored in the armory. When you are done using it, it gets cleaned and returned to the armory to await the next time you use it. When you EAS, you draw it for a final cleaning and return it to the armory and you are no longer able to draw a weapon.:usmc:

scotch
11-17-08, 10:49 AM
Alright, got it.:thumbup:

fjmas1976
11-17-08, 12:38 PM
The weapon is not yours, it belongs to the Marine Corpos and the Government. They just let you use it. You are issued a weapon and when it comes time to use it for range, cleaning,etc you go to the armory and draw your weapon that is stored in the armory. When you are done using it, it gets cleaned and returned to the armory to await the next time you use it. When you EAS, you draw it for a final cleaning and return it to the armory and you are no longer able to draw a weapon.:usmc:
Excuse my spelling error on "Corps"...just noticed it. My bad:usmc:

BR34
11-17-08, 04:09 PM
****, I don't know what you all are talking about. My gun never leaves me. Take it everywhere I go. ;)

CplKJSpevak
11-17-08, 06:50 PM
Scotch, if you deploy on a ship...You DO hold onto that weapon for 6 Months.....It's actually locked to your rack, You sleep next to that bad boy for the whole deployment, and you clean it at least once a week, because of the salt air.

Phantom Blooper
11-17-08, 07:42 PM
if you deploy on a ship

This is true on some naval vessels...but on some ships the Marines are given an armory space and the weapons are checked in and out for cleaning and drill.With the weapons card issued on land. I know on the old USS Iwo Jima LPH-2 this was true.

I did six pumps and two on that ship. I think also that the USS Spartansburg County had an armory for the Marines.

The armorer and his assistant slept on racks in the armory and I may be mistaken but I think some Comm/Crypto Marines had access for their gear also.

On liberty cruises they never took liberty at the same time...one was also in the armory.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
11-17-08, 07:52 PM
How is it possible that you get to bring your weapon home after being in the marine corps of while on leave?
Do you purchase it or something?:nerd:

Never happen unless you want to spend your time in the Brig for life.:evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
11-17-08, 08:10 PM
Never happen unless you want to spend your time in the Brig for life.

About seven or eight years ago there was a case on CLNC of a couple of Marines working in an armory on ship and took parts to M16A? to make three of them. They got them off the ship and in part(CONEX) boxes and took them to a home in Jacksonville to assemble.

Two Marines kept one each and sold the third to someone in PA.

They would have got away with it but the government is now putting a chip in some weapons in the lower receiver.

These Marines didn't know it but NCIS,FBI and the PA State Troopers did.It was just a matter of time...shiat went down hill for theft and falsifying records. About six Marines burned.

The two could have gt 40 years but with a plea and good time they only did about two, got busted,fined and a meal courtesy of Uncle Sam called a BIG CHICKEN DINNER.

Don't try to take a weapon off base...that's what the liberal DC folks call a weapon of mass destruction!:evilgrin:

SGT7477
11-17-08, 09:05 PM
To tell you the truth there was a Marine in 29 Palms that sent one home piece by piece I was too short at that time to pay attention but couldn't tell you for sure if he got away with it or not.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-17-08, 09:21 PM
It is asinine to try. It is impossible for it to be legal to own unless you are a FFL dealer that is OK'ed to sell to government agencies. An M16 has a 3 round burst capability, which means it falls under the automatic weapons provisions and thus it cannot be owned by an individual if made after 1986.

BR34
11-17-08, 09:54 PM
It is asinine to try. It is impossible for it to be legal to own unless you are a FFL dealer that is OK'ed to sell to government agencies. An M16 has a 3 round burst capability, which means it falls under the automatic weapons provisions and thus it cannot be owned by an individual if made after 1986.

Hmm, most of them are probably pre-86 though, heheh.

Then it's not illegal, it's just time consuming and expensive. Tax stamp + rare, out of production weapons...big bucks.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-17-08, 10:08 PM
Pre-86 would leave few A2s out there. They weren't introduced until 1982. The Army didn't make the move until after 86. I doubt there is a single pre-86 rifle still in use in the Marine Corps. The Navy's A3 and all the A4s would be after 86 by many years.

The tax stamp is actually cheap and pretty easy to get, as long as you can prove the weapon in question is legal. Of course, the limited supply of legal weapons makes buying one expensive.

And none of this deals with the question at hand. Simple answer, if your rifle isn't accounted for at all times it turns into a long day for everyone and a nightmare for you.

ecom
11-17-08, 10:25 PM
About a year ago or so, someone lost a M-16 and they shut down all the exits on base. I happened to be returning from Pendleton and the entrance was backed up also.

The MPs were going through every vehicle leaving base but I don't think they ever found the weapon.

CplKJSpevak
11-18-08, 02:19 AM
When I was working Supply witht the MEU, We had ALL parts to an M16 in our supply block EXCEPT the Lower reciever, which is a serialized part....which would have to be signed for by an...

silverdollar
11-18-08, 07:42 AM
Must be something new to turn your weapon in to an armory, when we were issued a weapon it stayed with us. at night or when we were not using it we locked it in a rifle rack. rifle racks ran down the middle of the barracks and had individual slots for your rifle, you locked it in with your own padlock. when you went on leave your rifle stayed locked in the rifle rack.

0231Marine
11-18-08, 08:24 AM
Must be something new to turn your weapon in to an armory, when we were issued a weapon it stayed with us. at night or when we were not using it we locked it in a rifle rack. rifle racks ran down the middle of the barracks and had individual slots for your rifle, you locked it in with your own padlock. when you went on leave your rifle stayed locked in the rifle rack.

Most Marines these days don't live in squad bays after boot camp though.

THAT AINT IT
11-18-08, 09:33 AM
If a weapon or even parts of a weapon go missing out of the armory, the armorer goes down. I wouldn't really want the fact that I ruined someone's career on my conscience.

scotch
11-18-08, 09:39 AM
thanks for the answers guys

NoRemorse
11-19-08, 09:54 AM
Call it a gun at boot and see what happens.

Feel free to tell us on your boot leave or RAP leave.

SGT7477
11-19-08, 10:05 AM
Call it a gun at boot and see what happens.

Feel free to tell us on your boot leave or RAP leave.

Very true.:evilgrin: