PDA

View Full Version : Preschool teacher and students send care packages to Methuen Marine in Iraq

thedrifter
11-17-08, 09:09 AM
Preschool teacher and students send care packages to Methuen Marine in Iraq

By Brian Messenger
bmessenger@eagletribune.com

November 17, 2008 03:18 am

ANDOVER — Tara McGrath sprang to action when she learned U.S. Marines in Iraq were waiting months between receiving care packages and letters from home.

"It broke my heart," said McGrath, 21, a preschool teacher at The Children's Place at Phillips Academy. "When I heard that, I figured they deserved more than just a, 'Hey, thanks.'"

Thanks to McGrath, this week staff at The Children's Place will mail four packages to Marines in Iraq, including Dave Archambault, a 2006 graduate of Methuen High School.

Archambault, 20, who was deployed in August, is one of about 150,000 U.S. troops stationed in the Persian Gulf country. The United States invaded the country in March 2003.

Last week, preschool students also drew pictures on red and blue paper for the Marines. The drawings will be mailed along with the care packages, McGrath said.

"We all made these for the soldiers," said Ryan Cotton, 4, after drawing a black and orange tank. Other children, like Maya Shara, 4, wrote "Dave, Thank You" on their drawings.

It was an e-mail from Archambault that sparked McGrath's effort. The Marine wrote that his battalion had limited access to items like tooth paste, Q-Tips and Band-Aids.

Dozens of school parents donated items for the packages after McGrath sent a letter home.

In the packages, Marines will receive items like tooth paste, tissues and Zip Lock bags. Disposable cameras, pencils, pens, magazines, playing cards, cookies and candy were also donated.

"I think they're going to be very surprised," said McGrath.

There are roughly 100 kids enrolled at The Children's Place, and McGrath estimated that nearly half of the parents decided to donate items for the troops.

"I think it means a lot for these guys, getting something from home," said Neal Archambault, Dave Archambault's father. "It's just tremendous that people are doing this. I think it will mean a lot to Dave and the other guys in his battalion, that people are thinking about them and supporting them."

Many of the donated items are things people here take for granted, said Sue Sacks, preschool program coordinator.

"They're over there fighting for us, and I just think we need to do everything we can to support them," said Sacks. "We just don't want people to forget about them."

Ellie