PDA

View Full Version : Linguist Question

Big D
11-16-08, 05:09 PM
I've looked in other topics posted about linguists, but there is no answer to this question. I was wondering about how often I'll be in the field as a linguist. I don't want a desk job, but I'm sure this MOS would be more helpful after the Marine Corps in getting a job than an 03XX MOS would. So, is there's anyone with any experience being a linguist on here, I'd like some help. Thanks.

jackson07
11-16-08, 06:12 PM
Depends on if you go to a Rad BN or support company. And there is a platoon called radio recon platoon at the rad bn. They are always in the field.

re8elmonk0341
11-16-08, 07:07 PM
I don't want a desk job, but I'm sure this MOS would be more helpful after the Marine Corps in getting a job than an 03XX MOS would.

What is that suppose to mean????? GRUNT are stupid??????:devious:

Big D
11-16-08, 09:04 PM
What is that suppose to mean????? GRUNT are stupid??????:devious:

Didn't say that. But when your former occupation consisted of mainly shooting people and being shot at, that isn't as helpful in the civilian world as knowing another language and having years of experience in the military using that language. I don't plan on joining Blackwater or being a cop. So linguist would suit me better.

Big D
11-16-08, 09:06 PM
Depends on if you go to a Rad BN or support company. And there is a platoon called radio recon platoon at the rad bn. They are always in the field.

Thanks for the help.

jackson07
11-16-08, 09:29 PM
Just an fyi. Linguists really don't use their language. Unless you are at support company, like Medina or Meade.

MGySgtSki
11-17-08, 02:37 PM
Just an fyi. Linguists really don't use their language. Unless you are at support company, like Medina or Meade.

Ummm, you might want to tell that to all the Rad Bn folks that are in Iraq....

As far as the field is concerned, the previous poster was correct about where you are stationed has a direct influence on that. The Marines at the Radio Bns are in the field around once every couple of months or so on average. The Radio Recon folks are in the field much more than that. Field time increases for all as you do workups for deployments also.

As far as the support establishment, there are still opportunities to get out and do things. The support bn (and its companies) provides a LOT of augmentation personnel to Radio Bn deployments and other deployments.

To the OP....feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or for clarification on anything I've written.

S/F

1stRad2671
11-17-08, 03:59 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60230

MotivatorOfTheGuard
11-18-08, 02:19 PM
I will say this, if you want to go into the Marine Corps, to become a linguist, but you dont already know the language, then you are going down the wrong route to learn the language. College courses are probably the best place to become fluent in the language. Shukran Jazeelan Sadiki

MGySgtSki
11-18-08, 02:34 PM
I will say this, if you want to go into the Marine Corps, to become a linguist, but you dont already know the language, then you are going down the wrong route to learn the language. College courses are probably the best place to become fluent in the language. Shukran Jazeelan Sadiki

And you know this how? Your profile says you're an NBC bubba and not a linguist.

Pretty much the ONLY way to come into the Marine Corps and become a LINGUIST is to go to language school. Part-time interpreters and things like that are different, but to become a 267X, you go to DLI and learn the language.

For the life of me, I can't see how a college course that lasts all of 3 hours a week is more effective than DLI where your entire 8-hour class day, for anywhere from 6-18 months straight, is nothing but language-related. 3/4 of the way through my Spanish course in DLI, I was dreaming and thinking in Spanish. I just don't think I'd have done that in a college course.

S/F

1stRad2671
11-18-08, 03:24 PM

I disagree. I continue to work as a linguist as a civvie. Know how many of my co-workers learned their foreign language in college? ZERO. They're all former military or native speakers. Many of them are Marines too.
Oh and then there's that other thing a college grad doesn't get - a security clearance.

Oh and the proper way to write that is شكرا جزيلا صديقي

kendub03
05-25-11, 03:36 PM
I know this is an old quote, but I had a question about linguist school. Im a reservist 0241 (imagery intel) and I really want to go to linguist school. I know your supposed to have 0231 or a CI background but I was wondering if there was any way I could get into that field with out having that. My unit doesnt have the funds and I dont know how I would go about trying to get into linguist school. Let me know if have any advice? Thanks
SGT Williams