PDA

View Full Version : ANGLICO (Reserves)

DBlair
11-16-08, 09:55 AM
I'm interested in becoming an officer in the Reserves through the new program allowing officers to serve directly in the Reserves without having to be Active Duty first- although, I am considering AD.

That being said, upon my research regarding the different MOS options, I've found that ANGLICO seems like something I'd enjoy doing and there is a Reserve unit (4th ANGLICO) nearby here in FL.

Here are my questions...

1. How do I get ANGLICO as my MOS? Any suggestions as to choices or paths to take in order to get there?

2. How can I get assigned to that specific Reserve unit?

3. As an officer, what would I most likely be doing in an ANGLICO unit?

Thanks for your help!

rvillac2
11-16-08, 10:49 AM
Try searching in www.MarineOCS.com (http://www.MarineOCS.com).
We have officers answering questions here, but they're not here as often as us NCOs.

DBlair
11-16-08, 11:58 AM
Realistically, any help or information (officer or enlisted) regarding ANGLICO would be appreciated. I'm interested in learning more about it, how to get that MOS, and how to get that specific Reserve unit.

jackson07
11-16-08, 12:46 PM
There is a ton of info on the net. Just use google. And the Sergeant told you a great site to find out officer info on the subject.

CplKJSpevak
11-16-08, 03:28 PM
I think ANGLICO are comm. guy's with Jump wings..........I remember deploying with the boy's from 2nd ANGLICO. Is ANGLICO considered "Special Forces"? Because those guy's sure acted like they were..........We kept reminding them that they weren't.

rvillac2
11-16-08, 04:00 PM
Realistically, any help or information (officer or enlisted) regarding ANGLICO would be appreciated. I'm interested in learning more about it, how to get that MOS, and how to get that specific Reserve unit.

To get the enlisted Forward Observer MOS, you need to speak to a Recruiter and determine if there is a slot available at that unit. When you join a Reserve unit, you can get that specific MOS gauranteed. You will need to be eligible for a security clearance.

After you get through Boot and MCT, you will go to Ft. Sill, OK for your primary MOS school. Then you will go to jump school at Ft. Benning, Georgia and Naval Gunfire school in Coronado, CA. I am unsure of the order. Your job will be to coordinate indirect fires from artillery and naval assets in support of ground forces.

I am unsure of what officer MOS's are available in an ANGLICO unit. But as an officer, you will not be a Forward Observer.

That realistic enough for you?

jackson07
11-16-08, 04:04 PM
Simple google search...

http://www.mfr.usmc.mil/hq/3danglico/

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-16-08, 04:46 PM
ANGLICO guys are pretty high speed. They're selective about who they take and they do some pretty cool stuff. Of course, things are differently as a reservist. You're not signing up and hoping to get what you want. You enlist to fill a specific spot in a specific unit. Thus you talk to a recruiter and they will get everything in order for you to fill a spot at ANGLICO. Then, assuming you don't fail any schools, that is where you will be sent.

I don't know how things work for the direct to reserve officer spots, but I would imagine it works in much the same way. Though I could see there being plenty of former active duty officers willing to take a spot in ANGLICO so they may not need any fresh boot Lts.

DBlair
11-16-08, 07:16 PM
Sgt RVillac- Thanks for that great OCS site and for the info on the schools and so forth. I'm sure both will help quite a bit.

Cpl KJSpevak- Yea, it does seem like ANGLICO presents itself like a Special Ops unit. From what I was reading, it seems they do some recon-style stuff without engaging the enemy in the same way and without actually being recon. Also, it seems to be one of the few opportunities in the Reserves to get a jump billet. Overall, Seems like it might be fun.

Cpl Jackson- That site gave me some good info about Reserve ANGLICO units. Its interesting that the other units have a site, but the 4th ANGLICO doesn't. The site you gave showed about potential officer billets and so it helped to clear things up a bit.

Cpl EchoFourBravo- Yea, I think I'm going to have to speak to the OSO again about this. I was thinking that it was like with AD where they essentially put you where they need you- its kind of refreshing to now know that I may actually have a chance as it would be filling a specific spot.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-16-08, 07:28 PM
They don't do "recon" type stuff. They do ANGLICO type stuff.

In all honesty,their job and that of the Air Force's Combat Controllers is pretty similar. The Air Force guys are a part of Special Operations Command, so I suppose they have a little room to talk. But they are what they are, and that is a unit with a very specific function.

It wasn't too long ago that the Marine Corps phased out the active duty ANGLICO stuff. It didn't take long to make a comeback though.

LTCOL Coerr
11-17-08, 07:36 AM
Hey, Marine-

Very good postings on here, and I am pleased people are talking up ANGLICO.

I take command of 4th ANGLICO in January. I went to the war with 3d ANGLICO in 2003, the first day of the initial invasion into Iraq.

I can tell you that ANGLICO is NOT a Special Operations unit, and is NOT better or more special than any other Marine unit.

I can also tell you, though, that we do jump out of airplanes, call in and (more importantly) deconflict artillery and airstrikes from both American and coalition forces, and act as liaison experts to other services and other countries. In 2003 I was the senior American with a British rifle battalion; my Marines who were in Desert Storm did a similar job then with Arab units. We performed screening and observation functions, as well as coordinated air and artillery, often in quite exciting situations.

If you are serious about joining us, contact me on this post. You do not have to be trained: we will do that. I can also steer you through the OSO process to ensure you end up with us. If you are a Captain or below, your travel to and from drill will be paid for, along with normal pay and allowances.

Hope to hear from you-

V/R
LTCOL Stan Coerr
USMC Reserves

:usmc:

Isrowei
11-17-08, 07:52 AM
Welcome to Leatherneck, Sir!

Would you mind adding some more information to your profile? I'm sure a lot of the poolees and Marines would be interested to know more about you and the path you've taken thus far in your career.

0231Marine
11-17-08, 08:36 AM
Sir, great post! Not often we see someone on here who holds your pay grade...please don't be a stranger as I'm sure you have a wealth of information you could pass on concerning various topics.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-17-08, 09:13 AM
That is outstanding! Shows why I was crushed when the AD ANGLICO units disappeared when I was but a young boot. From top to bottom those guys were always some of my favorite Marines.

rvillac2
11-17-08, 09:59 AM
Dang. Makes me wish I was younger.
Got a waiver for 40yr old Sgts, sir? lol.
Semper Fi,

DBlair
11-17-08, 05:14 PM
LTCOL Ceorr,

Thank you for the information, Sir! I am VERY interested in joining the 4th ANGLICO and would appreciate any help/guidance you could give. I'll be contacting you via PM/Email. Thanks for your help, Sir!

CplKJSpevak
11-17-08, 06:36 PM
Well Damn Daniel! That's the first time I've seen someones question get an answer straight from the top! Good Luck....and please keep us posted on your progress.

RVHall
11-24-08, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the education on what's happening now, from one Anglican to another,

Semper Fi

Vance

Alisium
04-06-09, 11:06 PM
That was impressive.

And it answers my question. I was thinking about going back in and going for ANGLICO but I won't jump out of any planes.

DBlair
04-07-09, 12:32 AM
Well Damn Daniel! That's the first time I've seen someones question get an answer straight from the top! Good Luck....and please keep us posted on your progress.

Just an update:
I'm preparing for the PFT and working with my OSO in order to get contracted for OCS and the 4th ANGLICO. So far, everything seems like its going nicely and I should be heading to OCC202 (OCC-R) this Fall. I just need to work on PT in the meantime and focus on earning the Title in October.

RVHall
04-10-09, 06:51 PM
Forty+ years later, when I think back on the really kick-ass things that outshine anything in civilian life, it was recon schools back in the World, and in Vietnam with 1st ANGLICO. And I've had a successful post Marine Corps career.

Good luck DBlair!

Semper Fi

Vance

Just an update:
I'm preparing for the PFT and working with my OSO in order to get contracted for OCS and the 4th ANGLICO. So far, everything seems like its going nicely and I should be heading to OCC202 (OCC-R) this Fall. I just need to work on PT in the meantime and focus on earning the Title in October.

MWang86
12-13-11, 07:24 AM
What are some of the MOS's at 3rd Anglico?

thewookie
12-13-11, 09:15 AM

This is an old thread, but,,,,

I think they have them all. I would assume, which is probably gonna get me in trouble.

But when I was in Greece in the mid 90's on SF duty we had a guy in the Admin shop, and 01 and not part of the Guard platoon, and he came from ANGLICO (not sure which) but he said they all jump, or most do - he had gold wings himself.

MintusMaximus
12-13-11, 09:58 AM

ANGLICO is really small and we have the typical MOS's... we don't have as many as one might think.

Exmaple; 2d ANGLCIO only has 1 or 2 Admin guys. We have 1 Data guy, 4 Maintainers ...a small platoon of radio Marines. Then a bunch fo Forward Observers.

So 'yes" we have slots for MOS's but there are onesy and twosy's. Usuall the solitary bilets are NCO and above.

mjay0311
03-21-12, 04:38 PM
Sir,
I realize this is an old post but I am very interested in joining 4th ANGLICO. I am an 0311 with 3 combat tours in various reserve units. Two of my tours where in a Scout Sniper Platoon and one of them in a line company. I have had a hard time getting reliable information on the training pipline or if I would even qualify being that I am a 0311 and not an FO. What course of action would you recommend? Could you please provide me with a good point of contact at the unit? Also is 4th ANGLICO still deploying people? Thank you very much for your time Sir.

Hey, Marine-

Very good postings on here, and I am pleased people are talking up ANGLICO.

I take command of 4th ANGLICO in January. I went to the war with 3d ANGLICO in 2003, the first day of the initial invasion into Iraq.

I can tell you that ANGLICO is NOT a Special Operations unit, and is NOT better or more special than any other Marine unit.

I can also tell you, though, that we do jump out of airplanes, call in and (more importantly) deconflict artillery and airstrikes from both American and coalition forces, and act as liaison experts to other services and other countries. In 2003 I was the senior American with a British rifle battalion; my Marines who were in Desert Storm did a similar job then with Arab units. We performed screening and observation functions, as well as coordinated air and artillery, often in quite exciting situations.

If you are serious about joining us, contact me on this post. You do not have to be trained: we will do that. I can also steer you through the OSO process to ensure you end up with us. If you are a Captain or below, your travel to and from drill will be paid for, along with normal pay and allowances.

Hope to hear from you-

V/R
LTCOL Stan Coerr
USMC Reserves

:usmc:

Lisa 23
03-21-12, 07:33 PM
Sir,
I realize this is an old post but I am very interested in joining 4th ANGLICO. I am an 0311 with 3 combat tours in various reserve units. Two of my tours where in a Scout Sniper Platoon and one of them in a line company. I have had a hard time getting reliable information on the training pipline or if I would even qualify being that I am a 0311 and not an FO. What course of action would you recommend? Could you please provide me with a good point of contact at the unit? Also is 4th ANGLICO still deploying people? Thank you very much for your time Sir.

You do realize that the LTCOL you quoted hasn't been on Leatherneck since Nov of 2008?

Phantom Blooper
03-22-12, 05:12 AM
You do realize that the LTCOL you quoted hasn't been on Leatherneck since Nov of 2008?

PM the Lightbird....for your question.

mjay0311
03-22-12, 06:17 AM
I literally just signed up on this thing a few hours ago so I haven't figured it all out yet. I figured it was an old post which is why I said "Sir, I realize this is an old post".

Ronal5
03-23-12, 10:46 AM
I did the last 4 months of my service with what was then 2nd Air Navel Gun Fire or ANGF Plt. in 2nd Marine Division I enjoyed it very much. When I arrived there, there was only 8 of us all Cpl's and 1 PFC and he left on a Med Cruse. I did not have enough time left in service to go to jump school but I sure wanted to go. My mos was 2531 Field Radio Operator
:thumbup: