PDA

View Full Version : Therapist helps Marines get back in the fight

thedrifter
11-16-08, 07:33 AM
Therapist helps Marines get back in the fight
Written by Lance CPL. Robert Medin

Being “first-to-fight” is part of being a Marine, and getting back into a combat-ready status after a major injury is no easy task.

Krissa Johansen, physical therapist at Gaffney Field House, Camp Pendleton, serves as the middle ground between an injury and a full recovery of a service member, building them up to regain combat readiness.
Johansen, from Olathe, Kan., meets her clients through the Return to Readiness program which works with the Semper Fit program and the Naval Hospital to aid service members in their rehabilitation. “I started out working here one year ago as a group exercise leader,” said Johansen. “I wanted to be a part of something much bigger than myself. I know I am doing my part by working with the Marines and sailors.”

Johansen helps service members who suffer from injuries ranging from broken bones to torn ligaments.

“It’s fulfilling to see someone that I worked with get into a better physical state,” said Johansen. “I’m grateful for the opportunity to help.”

Gunnery Sgt. Brent Engelhardt, maintenance controller, Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 364, is just one of the many Marines she has helped.
Engelhardt suffered a back injury when he was involved in a helicopter crash in 1992. Engelhardt, from Hastings, Neb., has worked with Johansen for the past seven months trying to repair his damaged back.

“Last year was the worst pain I have been in and the best thing that has worked for me was working with my therapist,” said Engelhardt, of Johansen. “She tailored the program around me, she changed my life.”

During their weekly visits, Johansen teaches Engelhardt exercises he can do on his own, easing daily life.

“I know for a fact that I am in better shape now then what I was in before, thanks to Krissa,” he added.

Cari Gordonne, fitness program supervisor at Gaffney Field House, is very pleased with Johansen’s work ethic.

“Our role here is to serve active-duty service members and she has done a great job with that mission,” said Gordonne, from Denver, Colo.
Gordonne said Johansen is often out exercising with the Marines, being an active part of their rehabilitation. This shows Johansen’s dedication to her work.

As Johansen continues to help service members return to the fight, she will be doing her part to help those who serve us.

Ellie