PDA

View Full Version : Called to duty in a time of war

thedrifter
11-15-08, 03:16 PM
Called to duty in a time of war
As thousands of young men and women are called to serve their country, a local Marine reflects on his near future

Saturday, November 15, 2008 5:31 AM EST

By JUDITH WHITE, For The Saratogian

GREENFIELD CENTER — Marine Lance Corporal Matt Koskinen is in California, training for battle. He will be deployed in a few months, where the military needs him. He worked at Sears, until he was called.

Koskinen, who lived with his mother, Michele, in Greenfield Center, capably fielded questions recently about whether he’ll be in Iraq or Afghanistan.

“I’m sure they’ll make a good decision for where we’ll be,” he said, with confidence.

A 2005 graduate of Schuylerville High School, Koskinen joined the Marine Reserves as a freshman at Rochester Institute of Technology. Now 21, he’s been living at home between training obligations and taking classes in mechanical engineering last semester at Hudson Valley Community College while waiting for military orders.

Koskinen serves his country with Echo Company, 4th LAR (Light Armored Reconnaissance). He will be a rifleman, riding in the back of a lightly armored vehicle, dismounting and providing support when needed.

His reserve unit will be attached to an active duty unit in California, learning their procedures. Basically, he’ll protect the lives of those Marines.

Guns don’t scare this young man, who grew up hunting and target shooting with his father, Christopher Koskinen of Schuylerville, and his grandfather, Adrian Filer of Stillwater.

“Guns weren’t new to me,” he said, “but I hadn’t used automatics before, and I like to shoot fast.”

Koskinen can’t remember a time when he didn’t want to be in the military.

“I wanted to be an Air Force pilot, but it turned out I was ‘red-green color-blind,’ ” he explained. “But I knew that the Marines have the best reputation and the best training, so I signed on.”

His obligation — or privilege — is for six years, plus the possibility of being called back to active duty for an additional two years.

Is he worried about what he’ll face?

“Everyone asks me that,” Koskinen said. “I signed up, and I think I know what I’m getting into.

“Our commanding officer takes real good care of us.”

Ellie