PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day U.S. Marine inspires students at Red Bluff Elementary

thedrifter
11-14-08, 07:53 AM
Veterans Day U.S. Marine inspires students at Red Bluff Elementary

By YVETTE OROZCO
Published: 11.11.08
First Sgt. Anthony Randle was just out or high school when he joined the U.S. Marines.

Growing in inner city Los Angeles, his role models wore uniforms and commanded respect.

Now, as a retired Marine and a teacher and Marine Corps Junior ROTC instructor at Pasadena High School, he wants to pass that on to a new generation.

On Tuesday afternoon, Randle led the Pasadena High School ROTC color guard in a presentation before an enthusiastic audience of more than 100 elementary school students.

Red Bluff Elementary School honored Veterans Day with patriotic songs and a group of young cadets from the PHS ROTC color guard.

Randle and his cadets bring their demonstrations to schools on Veterans Day to give young children a connection to patriotic service.

“It’s always special,” said Randle. “There are a lot of kids who have brothers, sisters, dads, uncles or friends in the military. We’re trying to bring back to the community the pride of our service members. That’s what we do in the ROTC.”

Sgt. Randle found his role model as a youth and hopes today’s students take something from his group of young cadets.

“It was cool watching them march,” said second-grader Fatima. “It was really cool that there was a girl (in the color guard).”

Aside from her pride as a service member, cadet major Belen Tejada wants to provide that role model to young girls like Fatima.

“For me, being a female, I want the little girls see that they can do this to, not just the males,” she said.

Cadet Allan Sanchez and Cadet Sgt. Major Nicholas Scheer also want to inspire a sense of respect for the military.

“I want them to know that there are people fighting for them and to appreciate and respect them,” said Sanchez.

“I want them to want to join the ROTC because this is about preparing for life,” said Scheer. “They teach you things you can use in life.”

In his crisp deep blue and white sergeant’s uniform, Randle was a towering figure for the students, who greeted him after the presentation, some embracing him and others high-fiving him – demonstrating their own sense of awe.

“You’re awesome,” said one student.

Ellie