PDA

View Full Version : Black Dog Tags

jackson07
11-13-08, 06:33 PM
Are black dog tags authorized?

MCO P1070.12 doesn't state, and to the best of my knowledge that is the only order about id tags.

sparkie
11-13-08, 06:52 PM
Excuse me,,,, dog tags are issued, and I never heard of issuing black dog tages. Black Ops???????? LOL.

jackson07
11-13-08, 07:23 PM
For reissue here at Camp Johnson you get them from the PX, and they give the option of black or silver. So I was just trying to find some offical word on it.

sparkie
11-13-08, 07:28 PM
Well,,, If it comes from the PX, it must be right.

Pete0331
11-13-08, 08:26 PM

MCO P1070.12 doesn't state, and to the best of my knowledge that is the only order about id tags.

I would just go with the standard silver on the standard chain.

Dog tags are now more for tradition purposes then for practical identification.

egbutler1
11-13-08, 11:15 PM

They are not issued but I pretty sure they are good to go. We didn't wear ours around our necks just had one spray painted black laced in each boot and one inside our flack jacket where the SAPIs go but that was our SOP don't know bout you.

SA21
11-14-08, 11:19 PM
I have never heard anything negative about them. I had a set but we never really wore any. SOP was to wear one in our left boot, but other than that, it was whatever. From my limited knowledge, i dont think anyone would care; all they are wanting is to make sure you have the proper identification stated. If you are junior or something, you may get some flak from your senior guys, but we all know thats just all in good fun, lol

jackson07
11-15-08, 09:30 AM
Well I have a pair of black and silver ones now. So we shall see. Doubt anyone will say anything. Thanks for the help everyone.

montana
11-17-08, 03:08 PM
wonder ifen pink ones would be ok????

Quinbo
11-17-08, 03:37 PM
wonder ifen pink ones would be ok????

I wore a red one.

Integrity57
11-17-08, 07:01 PM
We had recruits in my boot camp division that wore Red dog tags on their chain because they had G6-PD, something to do with sickle-cell animea or something? And they had to hydrate more frequently than anyone else.

SgtDBrownRet
11-17-08, 07:08 PM
When I was in we took one off the chain and wore it spray painted black in our boot strings while on patrol. This was to keep the noise that the two around the chain down, and they would say they would always fine a boot if you… anyway. My advice is to err on the side of, am I standing out? If no one else is doing it, then I wouldn’t.

FistFu68
11-17-08, 07:34 PM
:evilgrin: THE REASON 4 ONE AROUND YOUR NECK AND ONE IN YOUR BOOT CASE YOU GOT YOUR AZZ GOT BLOWN AWAY THEY WOULD HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF FINDING ONE OF THEM.TAG EM' @ BAG EM' :evilgrin::iwo:

sparkie
11-17-08, 08:12 PM
Yep,,,, That was the reason for 2. Most don't know what a tag is for nowadays. Lace and tuck,,,,,,,,,

Accord
11-18-08, 09:09 PM
It doesn't matter if it's in regs or not. Wear it if you want. In Afghanistan we had guys wearing no dog tags, dog tags around 550 cord, dog tags on their flaks, whatever. There was no SOP that was followed and no one cared what you did, or if you didn't even wear one at all.

Wyoming
11-18-08, 09:49 PM
I was in China a few years ago on an assignment.

I met a Marine, young fellow, and I have no clue as to how, but the conversation turned to dogtags.

Anyhoo, he said a bunch of the Marines he was with, had a tattoo of their DT's, under their left arm, rib cage area, etc.

He showed me his and I was impressed.

That would probably be the only tat I would get after the one I have of 40 some fvcking years ago.

Bdchi1
11-18-08, 10:04 PM
Mine are tattooed on my side with barbed wire. As for the black ones, they come and go as often as any other fad does. Medics do their best to keep O negative blood on stock, but if they are low, the dog tags are handy at ensuring you get the proper blood type. As you know, the Corps doesn't see colors like civilians do...so, black, silver, pink, or red, just be sure they don't compromise your position via sight or sound, and be sure your blood type is there. Last rights for the religious ones is helpful as well.

The are issued standard silver for the obvious reason = CHEAPEST. Silver was for inspections. As for the field, everyone blackened them out.

Jensen139
11-18-08, 10:04 PM
Are your Dog Tag numbers not your social security number as well? It wouldn't seem smart to tattoo your social on your ribs. I guess if it was small it'd be fine

Bdchi1
11-18-08, 10:38 PM
Are your Dog Tag numbers not your social security number as well? It wouldn't seem smart to tattoo your social on your ribs. I guess if it was small it'd be fine

And having them on a piece of metal attached to a breakable string is smart? They've been there for 20 years and nobody has stolen them yet. Better yet, I haven't misplaced them so someone could pick them up either. So before you start mixing smarts and conversation on this site, I suggest you cover all your logic first.

mgkusmc
11-18-08, 10:49 PM
I feel sorry for the guys of L/3/25 who had their tags tattooed on them, cause the serial number is your social and L/3/25 went to the country Georgia back in July for AT and they left about 5 days before Russia invaded Georgia, one of their computers that had all their info on it (socials etc.) was captured by the Russians along with most of their gear. So they had to get all new Social Security numbers....kinda sucks if you have it tattooed on you lol.

Jensen139
11-18-08, 11:07 PM
Sorry sir. I'm glad you've never lost or had your stolen though.

Bdchi1
11-18-08, 11:22 PM
Hey...at nearly 40 years of age, the tattoo doesn't look much like a dog tag anymore anyway:(

Bdchi1
11-18-08, 11:39 PM
Jensen139, I apologize. My response to you clearly didn't convey the joking side it was supposed to convey. I thank you for your response anyway, and I hope you feel the same.

afelle27
11-20-08, 12:12 PM
I'm wearing black tags right now. I don't wear them around my neck, but on 550 cord hooked onto my belt, and one in my boot. I started wearing them when I first deployed, but I haven't been told, or read anything saying they're not authorized.

Pete0331
11-20-08, 01:13 PM
I'm wearing black tags right now. I don't wear them around my neck, but on 550 cord hooked onto my belt, and one in my boot. I started wearing them when I first deployed, but I haven't been told, or read anything saying they're not authorized.

That is what I did.

The question was in regards to whether the black tags would be acceptable in a uniform inspection scenario.
Wearing black tags in that situation is bad taste, in my opinion.

jackson07
11-21-08, 03:28 PM
No my question was.. is there any place other than the PUB that I provided concerning dog tags. Thanks everyone for the help.

sakoelker
06-28-09, 11:07 PM
Well...it does not say anywhere in any order about black tags...however Marines like to yoke you up for things they THINK are an order

ELTOROLOCO
06-29-09, 08:03 PM
I haven't read the order but your command SOP should state where they want the dog tags(deploying units). Use common sense on this one, if you're going to a combat zone, do you want a shiny silver one or the black one on your boot? Lastly, the only time I've worn two around the neck are during uniform inspections(garrison).

ecfree
06-29-09, 08:07 PM
ELTOROLOCO...you need to beef up your profile.

ELTOROLOCO
06-29-09, 09:50 PM
Eh, it's beefed enough. How much does everyone really need to know? I'm a Sergeant of Marines stationed in Kansas City,MO and have the priviledge of ensuring reserve Marines get their annual and MOS training so that they can augment the active duty units in OIF and EOF and whatever comes along in the future. I dont think people need to know where I was born and my address in this public forum. If it's against TOS, send me the link and I'll reconsider. Also, don't wear black dog tags in uniform inspections. It's just easier that way!

Messenger
06-30-09, 01:38 AM
I recall that the tag worn around my neck was blackened, and the chain was drawn through a length of 550 cord to help reduce any potential sound (this also prevented that chain from grabbing any neck hair or pinching any skin). My second tag was blackened and strung through a bootlace on one of my boots. I kept my issue set of tags in a small container with all the shiny new emblems, buckles etcetera, that were used for various inspections as necessary. In any uniform other that cammys, I would were the standard issue tags.

In my opinion, it would be a little foolish to have shinny tags clinking around out in the field as it would be almost guaranteed that they would reflect light or make a noise at the wrong place and or time at some point.

Semper Fi

Jlynch31
06-30-09, 03:22 AM
I have a black one in my boot, and silver around my neck. Seems to make sence.

Hawkaida
06-30-09, 07:24 AM
I use to wear one in my left boot and the 2 around my neck, along with my red one, that was a medical allergy tag. I don't recall them having black tags when I was in. Maybe they had them, but mine were always issued to me.

Messenger
06-30-09, 05:06 PM
They didn’t issue black tags that I know of then. We normally spray painted, or used that black paint stuff for painting our boots eyelets black (mnew or something like that, I cant recall what it was called).

Semper Fi

Alisium
06-30-09, 05:27 PM
Mine were black.

After the pound of electrical tape I applied to them.

If they sell it in your px then it's good to go. PX items have to be approved by the Marine Corps.