PDA

View Full Version : Attention on deck

MarineNCO
11-13-08, 03:04 PM
Good afternoon all,

I was corrected today for calling attention on deck for a Commander in the Navy (the Chaplain). I was taught that an O5 and above rated an Attention on Deck regardless of the billet they held. Does anyone here have any input or can anyone direct me to an order regarding this?

On another note I just had a brief discussion with one of the Marines that works in an office adjacent to mine regarding "duty recovery". He stated that a 24 hour duty rated a minimum 12 hour recovery time. I was curious if there is a MARADMIN, ALMAR or MCO that addresses this.

Isrowei
11-13-08, 03:25 PM
Good afternoon all,

I was corrected today for calling attention on deck for a Commander in the Navy (the Chaplain). I was taught that an O5 and above rated an Attention on Deck regardless of the billet they held. Does anyone here have any input or can anyone direct me to an order regarding this?

On another note I just had a brief discussion with one of the Marines that works in an office adjacent to mine regarding "duty recovery". He stated that a 24 hour duty rated a minimum 12 hour recovery time. I was curious if there is a MARADMIN, ALMAR or MCO that addresses this.

Who corrected you? If it was the Chaplain himself, it's his personal preference. Most of them don't want the formal appearance that comes with being highlighted. It's the Navy... and he's a Chaplain. It's his call (and perhaps the decision of your shop SNCO/OIC).

Duty recovery... as far as I know it's a unit thing. If the CO blesses it, you do it. If not... suck it up. I never had it as a young Marine. But the Battalion I'm in now does it. Just for the young Marines though. The rest of us just suck it up.

Marine84
11-14-08, 06:09 PM
Are you kidding Lt? 12 hour recovery? There goes the neighborhood! I would have absolutely loved 12 hour recovery after 24 on!

I want to go back in! They get to do so much more stuff and have way newer toys to play with now! Oh the places I could go!

Isrowei
11-14-08, 06:25 PM
Are you kidding Lt? 12 hour recovery? There goes the neighborhood! I would have absolutely loved 12 hour recovery after 24 on!

I want to go back in! They get to do so much more stuff and have way newer toys to play with now! Oh the places I could go!

Kim, I wish I were kidding...

If it weren't by order of the Full Bird Bn CO I'd have squashed it for my shop or at least made it a case-by-case basis. I'm all about making sure people are taken care of, but I also remember that the first tenant of Marine Corps Leadership is "Mission Accomplishment".

Hard to accomplish the mission when your Marines just aren't there...

MarineNCO
12-14-08, 07:23 AM
Well after observing the various Officers and other SNCOs in my Regiment I have noticed they do not call Attention for anyone other than the Colonel. So I guess the correction was correct.

As for the duty recovery I had thought it was like that Sir. There is no order or anything else that dictates you get recovery after a duty. Afterall the duties in question are SOG and DNCO and in our case it is a sleeping post. The DNCO swaps out with the ADNCO and the SOG swaps out with the OOD. I think this is an indicator of the mentality of alot of people today of the feeling of entitlement.

Sorry for the long delay. I have been busy and havent been on the internet much except work related duties as well this site is now blocked at work.

PaidinBlood
12-14-08, 10:13 AM
I know nobody OWES you a day off, but it is nice. It is a "sleeping post" but ours are only permitted to sleep between 2300 - 0400. Since the DNCO and ADNO have to share this time, 5 hrs split two ways makes for a tired Marine in the morning, especially if it was one of those nights, herding drunken fools back to their room and calling PMO to handle the rest. Having said that, I never got a "recovery" day because there was always a training event the next day-my luck. If nothing is going on, why not let the Marine go? Especially if he doesn't live in the barracks? As for shop life where the work never ceases, I won't pretend to know what to do there....

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-14-08, 12:39 PM
Why would living in the barracks matter? A Marine living in the barracks would be just as tired as a Marine living in base housing.

We could always split sleep up as much as we wanted. As long as the duty or A duty was there, we had no problems.

PaidinBlood
12-14-08, 02:22 PM
I meant a Marine with a family. Work comes first, for sure. The key was "nothing going on". If nothing is going on, just let the guy go home. Then again, apparently we have a dumb rest system.

Integrity57
12-14-08, 05:25 PM
When we're on watch on the quarter deck here at NAS we only called Attention on Deck for O-6's, but I do remember something about calling it for O-5's but never witnessed it personally Sgt.

davblay
12-14-08, 05:34 PM
Do they sound "Attention on deck" when you get your Crow, Tony? Just asking! :marine:

Dave

Integrity57
12-16-08, 08:27 PM
lol Naw they don't Dave but they should, haha just playing.