PDA

View Full Version : Can college and the Marine Corp co-exist?

redwhiteandblue
11-13-08, 12:51 PM
I'm a college student and I really want to serve my country I've read all about the PLC OCS program and such but I'm interested in the Enlisted ranking first then later becoming an officer. My question is Can a enlistee attend college easily or is it somewhat difficult with your work schedule and other things I don't know about.

MLMonk
11-13-08, 01:11 PM
I've heard MANY Marines who have/are attending college during their active duty time. I have never personally tried college and active duty yet, so I would take this answer as a guideline.

I have heard good things about PLC, my USMC Colonel (ret) teacher has done it, and my LCpl friend is currently doing it. They both said it was worth it since you are attending college full time and going to OCS during the summers. The only problem I think is with what you want, I don't think the PLC would give you much of the Enlisted experiance I think you are looking for.

redwhiteandblue
11-13-08, 01:21 PM
Yea, I know that being an officer is a great thing thats probably what I'll end up shooting for but I'd like to be in the thick of things. I understand that leading marines is a great honor but getting to actually fight for your country first hand in my opinion is what its all about. I also feel that if you get led first it will make you a better leader in the long run.

0231Marine
11-13-08, 01:30 PM
RWB,

Keep in mind that there is no guaruntee that you will be selected for OCS once you go enlisted. Same as there is no gauruntee that you'll be able to finish your college while you're in. It's possible but very difficult, especially if you end up at a unit with a high deployment rate. I deployed to Iraq 4 times in my 5 years which didn't leave a lot of time for school. All things being equal, I would go officer and skip being enlisted. You don't have to have been a LCpl to be a good officer. Your DI's in PLC and TBS will ensure you know what it's like to be led before you get your chance, trust me. You also need to realize that you can and will fight for your country as an officer, the same as an enlisted Marine would. The only difference is you'll be able to guide and lead those Marines under you as well. If you really want to fight, then get a ground officer option in writing and you'll be A.J. Squared Away!!!

Pete0331
11-13-08, 01:34 PM
I'm a college student and I really want to serve my country I've read all about the PLC OCS program and such but I'm interested in the Enlisted ranking first then later becoming an officer. My question is Can a enlistee attend college easily or is it somewhat difficult with your work schedule and other things I don't know about.

Be aware that even if you are part of the PLC program you are still subject to the activation of your respective reserve unit, which will affect your college enrollment.

You can take college classes while you are on active duty. This is difficult to do because of the work schedule. It is unthinkable if you are an 03XX.

redwhiteandblue
11-13-08, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the quick response, I was going solely by what I had been reading and it seems that alot of people talk about how your not going to do any fighting, and how you will spend your career behind a desk. I hope this is false information. Please ellaborate

0231Marine
11-13-08, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the quick response, I was going solely by what I had been reading and it seems that alot of people talk about how your not going to do any fighting, and how you will spend your career behind a desk. I hope this is false information. Please ellaborate

Well, that depends on the MOS. If you're an admin officer, then I wouldn't count on seeing much action but I've served with 3 different infantry battalions in Iraq and every officer has seen his fare share of gun fights. Most of them came away highly decorated (not what it's about) but shows that you will see your fare share if you go infantry.

redwhiteandblue
11-13-08, 01:39 PM
I was made aware that in the PLC program you have absolutley no obligations to the Marines while in college except staying in shape and keeping your grades up.

0231Marine
11-13-08, 01:41 PM
I was made aware that in the PLC program you have absolutley no obligations to the Marines while in college except staying in shape and keeping your grades up.

That is correct. You don't have to accept your commission until you graduate college upon which you will go to TBS if you choose to accept. If declined, then you spent a summer or two learning some interesting things :)

redwhiteandblue
11-13-08, 01:46 PM
Thats what I thought the recruiter told me just had to make sure. Since that was brought up is there anyway that you could have obligations with that marines while in college, from my understanding is that if you are reserve or anything like that you have to wait until your obligation is up with the reserve unit. I would love to be able to be a bigger part of the marines while in school in between juniors and seniors OCS.

0231Marine
11-13-08, 01:53 PM
Thats what I thought the recruiter told me just had to make sure. Since that was brought up is there anyway that you could have obligations with that marines while in college, from my understanding is that if you are reserve or anything like that you have to wait until your obligation is up with the reserve unit. I would love to be able to be a bigger part of the marines while in school in between juniors and seniors OCS.

First off, Marines is always Capitalized.

Secondly, yes, you can attend college while you're in the reserves. The only issue is that if you are activated, you will likely have to leave college to fulfill your obligation. That may be another option to consider for yourself is go to bootcamp over the summer as a reservist, go back to school in the fall and when you finish, you can go officer and you'll have the experience of boot camp to help you.

redwhiteandblue
11-13-08, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the help. Many things to think about in the coming weeks I'll be back on here later have to go to work.

Scottie0417
11-14-08, 12:13 AM
I talked to the OSO in my area as I am a reservist attending college. He said that in the event that your unit is activated while you are enrolled in the PLC program, then you do not have to activate, you continue on your path to becoming a Marine officer. I didn't see it in writing but it's what I heard from 2nd Lt. However, if you're a college student not in PLC and your unit gets activated, well you're pretty much screwed. I'm trying to bust azz to get done within the next two years as my unit deploys in 2011. I wanna get my degree before deploying rather than try to pick up where I left off when I come home.

redwhiteandblue
11-14-08, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the information i'm going to look into that more in-depth.

NoRemorse
11-19-08, 12:04 PM
The only thing I can think of is the age restriction for a lot of the commissioning programs. If I remember correctly the max age for some of them is 25 or 26. I'm 27 and working on reenlistment; I wouldn't really shoot for a butter bar anyway.

Regardless, my reenlistment code bars me from it (RE-P3).

It's possible to work your way through school while you're in, but like the Corps it's hard as hell.

UsmcMotorT
11-20-08, 08:16 AM
Do Bears live in the woods?