PDA

View Full Version : Marine wife takes on the world at Japan Ironman

thedrifter
06-01-03, 07:45 AM
Marine wife takes on the world at Japan Ironman
Submitted by: MCB Hawaii
Story Identification Number: 2003530205910
Story by Steven Kalnasy

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii(May 18, 2003) -- For those of us who haven't run in an Ironman, the very thought is incomprehensible. The idea of swimming 2.4 miles, riding a bike 112 miles, and running 26.2 miles all in one day doesn't even enter our minds. For Kailua resident, and Marine wife Deirdre Tennant, winner of the 2003 Japan Ironman, the thought of not competing makes no sense at all.

Swimming in college, Tennant began her brush with fame in 2000 after living in Hawaii for three years. Encouraged by friends and family, she entered a local biathlon and found that she still enjoyed the challenge of competition. Often separated from her husband, (Captain Thomas Tennant, Alpha Company Commander with 1st Bn. third Marines), for long periods, training seemed like just the cure to get through those lonely times.

Encouraged by her husband, Deirdre entered her first triathlon in May of 2000. The MAG-24 Sprint Triathlon held annually aboard MCB Hawaii gave her the first taste of victory in a sport that would become such an important aspect of her life. In that contest, Tennant took 1st place in her division, and 4th place overall. "That was my favorite race of all," she said.

Over the next three years, her name has become well known in the triathlon community.

Qualifying for the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii in 2001, Tennant made her mark by taking 2nd place in her age group and 18th overall. Since then, she has competed in 13 triathlons and various other competitive race events, which allowed here to achieve yet another milestone in her competitive career - becoming a Pro.

This past April, Tennant and her husband were supposed to travel together to Southern California for her to compete in the "Ralphs California Half Ironman" aboard Camp Pendleton. But due to world events, her husband would deploy earlier than expected in support of contingency operations in the southern Philippines. Deirdre found herself facing the demons of competition alone. But after taking 6th place overall in the "Ralphs California" event, she knew she was ready for her next challenge, the "Japan Ironman" in Goto, Nagasaki.

Aware that she now would not get to see Tom while training and racing in Japan, she stayed with a friend, Steve Hazlett , a Marine Master Seargent stationed at MCAS Futenma and his family in preparation for the race.
While training for the upcoming Ironman event, she was to learn that due to the severe acute respiratory syndrome outbreaks in Asia, local Japanese government officials had banned all foreigners from participating in the race. Desperate, Tennant relied on Hazlett for help. Hazlett convinced Japan Ironman officials that Tennant's time in Japan would fall outside the World Health Organization incubation period of 10 days in country, and Tennant's date with destiny was back on track.

On May 18, 2003, Tennant faced her most difficult race yet. At seven that morning, along with 915 other swimmers, she entered the waters off Fukue Island in a mass start that could only be described as pure chaos. Setting a swim record 51:37 for the 2.4-mile course, Tennant was the first person out of the water.

"It is a great honor that I did not immediately realize that I am one of only three women to ever win the swim outright in any Ironman race," said Tennant.

The next closest woman was a full three minutes behind her. Psyching out the top competitors with her performance in the swim portion of the event. Considered a 'dark horse' in the race, Tennant was resolved to take 3rd place when the day was done.

"It was going to be a long day" said Tennant, expressing her feelings that morning.
Coming out of the bike corral to begin the daunting 112-mile bike ride, Tennant was met by Lothar Leder of Germany. Leder, a top triathlete in the world was visibly shaken by the performance of Tennant. Not wanting to be overshadowed by a female competitor, Leder raced to exit the transition area alongside the women's leader.

The bike portion of the Ironman event would take 5:40.17 to complete, which for Tennant would be the most difficult portion of the day.

"I felt alone", she said. "I saw two of the lead women not far behind me and knew they had to be aiming to knock me out of contention."

Those two women, Nicole Leder and Belinda Halloran would be penalized 5- minutes for drafting. The only respite for Tennant was when she passed a Japanese marching band playing 'America the Beautiful.'

"They (spectators) cheered me on. They made me feel welcome and gave me strength." She said.

Not knowing where her nearest competitor was Tennant had no idea where she stood in overall competition. She knew she was in 1st place, but for how long? In reality, Tennant was over 5 minutes ahead of her nearest foe.

Some six and half-hours after she began, Tennant found herself on the final leg of her self-imposed torture chamber. The first woman through the transition (bike to run), she entered the run experiencing some pain in the metatarsal region of her foot.

"It felt like I was running on pins," she said. Determined to get through it (race), Tennant pressed on. "Even with the pain in my foot, I felt strong I never hit the wall I never got tired until about three miles out from the finish line," she explained.

It wasn't until she approached the finish that she realized she had won the race.
"If not for the love and support of my husband, I wouldn't have been able to do it," she said. "He called me right before the race to wish me well. That is what carried me through the race. I only wish he was there to see my Ironman victory."

Tennant looks ahead and waits for her next challenge.

Sempers,

Roger

MillRatUSMC
06-01-03, 08:47 AM
http://www.zootsports.com/images/deirdre/name_pic.jpg

http://www.zootsports.com/deirdre.html

A little more info on Deirde Tennant.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

SHOOTER1
06-01-03, 05:05 PM
Now thats what I call a Marines Woman,Id sure hate to go up against her, even in my best days,Id have lost,WOW.:D