PDA

View Full Version : MOS question..again. Sorry!

chels07
11-13-08, 01:12 AM
Hey Marines,
I apologize because it seems you always deal with MOS questions. I do appreciate any and all feed back. I'm an open contract now, but my recruiter promised not to let me ship open. I was originally looking at Intel, but my recruiter said all the female slots are full..? Which I understand. The other MOS I was looking at was something in public affairs, but my recruiter then informed me that they prefer a portfolio to be turned in for that, I had no experience with writing/photography/etc in high school. My recruiter then said I might be interested in being a helicopter mechanic, which I would he happy with because he said it could get me close to the action IF I end up flying with the crew (would that be the case? that would seal the deal for me).
Sorry for all that, but thought I'd try to let you know what's going on. I was curious if there are any MOS's where you pick the specifics after the first two numbers? My recruiter mentioned Communications where I could do the air travel (?) portion of it and go to jump school (he mentioned that was a big if,but curious..). He also mentioned MP, pointing out that I could be a dog handler. Any and all of the above appeal to me but was just curious if any MOS's let you get specific, or if that always occurs after boot and SOI/MCT. Sorry for the long post and thanks for any comments you have on those MOS's or anything else. Any other suggestions of an MOS that would be hands on would be appreciated. I'm just trying to get an idea so I don't just sit there looking dumb everytime I go in there...
Thanks..
Chelsea

TJR1070
11-13-08, 08:12 AM
Chelsea, I really think you need to talk to your recruiter about what specific MOS' are open to females and that might help you narrow your desicion. You would only be going to MCT not SOI and yes most subdivisions of MOS' are determined at or upon completion of that MOS school (usually with the exeption of reservists). The sample of jobs that you listed are very different and include very different daily duties, try doing a search on here for the specific MOS' that you metioned and maybe you could get a better idea of what you are looking at. The last thing is make sure that you either are open for any job if you do ship open contract or that you secure an MOS prior to shipping if you want something specific.

JordanB
11-13-08, 04:41 PM
Holy **** kid dont sign a contract with the federal government unless your sure it has EXACTLY what you want on it. You know what open contract means? You get ASSIGNED a job that is hard to fill/ nobody else wants. Just wait, the Marine Corps is expanding a slot WILL open up have patience.

chels07
11-13-08, 10:39 PM
Thanks a lot for the feedback! I appreciate it and will make sure I do not sign open, and I will discuss with my recruiter my options. I really wish he could just tell me what is open and get squared away. Guess I'll have to "hurry up and wait", though!
Thanks,
Chelsea

Flyboy11
11-14-08, 10:00 PM
If you want to fly on helicopters dont go in as a helo mech. What you want is aircrew if you want to fly on the aircraft as a crewchief. Shoot me questions about aircrew school or anything since im down here at NAS Pensacola for Naval Aircrew Candidate School. Just make sure what you do is what YOU want to do not anybody else.