PDA

View Full Version : Lioness MCO

rebelyellUSMC
11-12-08, 03:42 PM
Good Afternoon All,

I am trying to find the Marine Corps Order that outlines the Lioness program, but I can't seem to be able to. All that pulls up on Google are the www.Marines.mil (http://www.Marines.mil) articles about the program. I was just wondering if anyone knew it. Thanks

0231Marine
11-12-08, 06:29 PM
There isn't a Marine Corps order for it. It's not an MOS, it's just an assignment while deployed. You won't find any official documentation on it.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to know anyways? You're not a woman.

rebelyellUSMC
11-13-08, 06:54 AM
My recruiter asks his poolees history questions, protocol questions, etc., to see who can find the answers first. This was the first question I couldn't find any official documentation on.

0231Marine
11-13-08, 07:00 AM
My recruiter asks his poolees history questions, protocol questions, etc., to see who can find the answers first. This was the first question I couldn't find any official documentation on.

Roger That! You can just go back and tell him it's non-existant and ask him if he can produce it for you.

PaidinBlood
11-13-08, 07:01 AM
Sounds like he was pullin your leg, boss. Met a few but it didn't seem like the program was taking off. I've been out of the loop a while, though.

SupChf
11-13-08, 07:07 AM
OK, I'm not a well educated Gunny. WTF is a lioness? Never heard of it in my 18 years......

PaidinBlood
11-13-08, 07:11 AM
It's new enough, Gunny. I first saw them during the workup '07. I might be wrong but the way the ladies explained it was volunteers from various MOS's receive language and other training to work as female searchers to help specifically in the Middle East. They also claimed to have "infantry" training but it didn't show. Seriously, though, they were some proud ladies who worked hard, and that's never easy for me to admit.. :-)

PaidinBlood
11-13-08, 07:12 AM
Not sure how the program as a whole fared; when we deployed I saw them back at work in the chowhall. Maybe others are doing better with it.

SupChf
11-13-08, 07:16 AM
It's new enough, Gunny. I first saw them during the workup '07. I might be wrong but the way the ladies explained it was volunteers from various MOS's receive language and other training to work as female searchers to help specifically in the Middle East. They also claimed to have "infantry" training but it didn't show. Seriously, though, they were some proud ladies who worked hard, and that's never easy for me to admit.. :-)

Gotcha. **** we called this "being FAP'd out" when I was in theater.....Sounds like they put a title on it to make it sound better.

Isrowei
11-13-08, 07:32 AM
Gotcha. **** we called this "being FAP'd out" when I was in theater.....Sounds like they put a title on it to make it sound better.

And you hit the nail on the head :)

SupChf
11-13-08, 07:50 AM
And you hit the nail on the head :)
It does sound better I'll say that LT!

0231Marine
11-13-08, 07:51 AM
Yes, like most things these days, the Marine Corps put a nice spin on it to make it PC. Basically, the women Marines would be sent down to detention facilities or even out to the Entry Control Points (ECPs) or taken along on patrols in order to search the Arabic women. You most certainly can't have an Iraqi women searched by a male Marine in front of her family so this was designed to alieviate some of those issues and was necessary after female suicide bombers became more of a common occurance. To my knowledge, the program is still in use although with the troop draw down and turning provinces over to the Iraqis, I don't know for how much longer.

Isrowei
11-13-08, 08:13 AM
Yeah, that is the gist of it. A good program, for the obvious reasons. It works.

The name thing though, well... People like to take credit for "new" initiatives and programs. Like Guardian Angel or Combat Hunter.. a catchy name will help people to quickly identify and recognize what program or concept is being discussed.

Meh, I find it amusing.. kinda like if a QRF decided to call themselves "Simba" or whatnot... smile and move on. :)

0231Marine
11-13-08, 08:17 AM
Meh, I find it amusing.. kinda like if a QRF decided to call themselves "Simba" or whatnot... smile and move on. :)

Wouldn't it be Nala since it's involving female lions? LOL

Isrowei
11-13-08, 09:42 AM
I dunno. Simba was the only name I could remember from that dang film (and my kids haven't moved past "Cars" yet thankfully as their staple film-du-jour).

I suppose we could nickname the FOBs "Hakuna Matata" if it made the guys feel better :)