PDA

View Full Version : Drill Instructor?

green13
11-12-08, 03:34 PM
Would anyone happen to know how or why Gen. Conway, the Commandant, would have a Drill Instructor ribbon, when he's been a career officer? I am curious.:flag:

RPTrainor
11-12-08, 03:44 PM
"To qualify, a Marine must hold the Military Occupational Specialty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Occupational_Specialty) (MOS) of 8511 or must have served a successful tour of duty in one of the following positions:

Recruit Training Battalion Commander, Executive Officer, S-3, or Sergeant-Major.
Recruit Training Company Commander, Series Commander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_Commander), or Assistant Series Commander.
Officer Candidate Company First Sergeant, Company Gunnery Sergeant, or Platoon Commanders."

From Wikipedia, Officers in command positions also rate the ribbon.

MUSTANG0369
11-12-08, 06:12 PM
It is now an MOS of 0911.....but that is here nor there. Any series commander rates the ribbon......same as if he were an OSO with the recruiting ribbon.

I got mine the hard way.........10 cycles Bravo Nation San Diego 01-04

CplKJSpevak
11-12-08, 06:16 PM
Mustang, You went from a Gunny to 2nd Lt.?

MUSTANG0369
11-12-08, 06:18 PM
yeah, that happens a lot right......lol

CplKJSpevak
11-12-08, 06:25 PM
Andy (hmmmm I mean Sir), I'm trying to picture a Marine Corps Gunnery Sgt. Former Drill Instructor going through OCS getting yelled at by the OCS instructors....................I can't even imagine it. It's awesome though!..........Did your OCS instructors know you were a DI? how did that work out? Really Curious..

MUSTANG0369
11-12-08, 06:34 PM
Oh yeah they knew....hell, some of them were new hats when I was an SDI/SerGySgy or Chief Drill Instructor (depending on the coast)......so they got revenge for the all night checking on firewatches, or the night ops that I made them do during thier cycles...

As far as OCS, it was a gut check, mentally easy, of course I used to do the job, but I was a SSgt when I went through OCS, maybe 27 or so, yeah it was in 2005......Anyway PT will smoke you, the slow kids run 20:30, so that was tough for a bit. Other than that it was a training environment and they all have a place......The transformation is not complete until the end of The Basic School, so there is not the drastic transformation such as in recruit training.

Bdchi1
11-12-08, 06:48 PM
Mustang...I grew up in New Albany Mississippi, but I was a Bulldogs fan (you Rebel). Now in NoVa.

jetdoc
11-12-08, 06:52 PM
Wow, you did it and that is impressive LT.

I'm with Spev, I was trying to picture a Gunny going through OCS.

S/F

MUSTANG0369
11-12-08, 06:57 PM
bdchi,

grew up in Corinth, went to school at Kossuth, In NOVA as well.

Bdchi1
11-12-08, 07:16 PM
Yeah...I checked it out when I saw you went to Ole Miss. Small world. Hang in there and show'em "a country boy can survive".

CplKJSpevak
11-12-08, 07:32 PM
I hope all you Marines had a good Birthday, Mine started out with an outstanding breakfast at a local VFW, Then rode my HOG along with the Tun Tavern Chapter Leathernecks MC into Philadelphia, Circled city hall made our statement, rode by Pat's and Gino's Steaks in South Philly, then finally wound up at Cookies Tavern in South Philly, where they had 3 city blocks blocked off for the ALL DAY party!TONS of partying Devil Dogs of all ages, Wound up at my MCL house that night to party with the Old timers, and you can bet they were raising hell! DAMN what a good time.......Mustang thanks for Sharing your story man, good luck!

MUSTANG0369
11-12-08, 07:58 PM
Thanks, I saw some pics from cookies.......

Support your local Red and Black

jetdoc
11-13-08, 06:12 PM
I hope all you Marines had a good Birthday, Mine started out with an outstanding breakfast at a local VFW, Then rode my HOG along with the Tun Tavern Chapter Leathernecks MC into Philadelphia, Circled city hall made our statement, rode by Pat's and Gino's Steaks in South Philly, then finally wound up at Cookies Tavern in South Philly, where they had 3 city blocks blocked off for the ALL DAY party!TONS of partying Devil Dogs of all ages, Wound up at my MCL house that night to party with the Old timers, and you can bet they were raising hell! DAMN what a good time.......Mustang thanks for Sharing your story man, good luck!

Hey Spev, are you a member of the TT Leathernecks MC?