PDA

View Full Version : Questions/opinions

scpgrmt
11-12-08, 12:11 PM
At the erging of some Veteran friends I obtained a copy of my DD214. (Do not remember getting a copy when discharged). In bootcamp from 09JUN70 to 29JUL70. Right knee developed severe pain a couple...

thewookie
11-12-08, 12:30 PM
I'll be honest, in going back and reading this several times I still find it tough to not be sarcastic. So let me see if I have this straight - you want to apply for disability payments for "severe...

Chumley
11-12-08, 12:36 PM
SupChief posted this article here on Leatherneck a few days back...( see below)

Marines are trained to stand at the Position Of Attention when out of uniform. To me there is no other way, even now, so many years later. Some former Marines may additionally hold hand over heart or may now salute, per the law below, but saluting without a cover on seems wrong to me, and not taking a baseball cap off seems equally wrong, so I personally will continue to stand at the POA when it's appropriate.

Sorry - can't help with the medical issue, other than to direct you towards the V.A.

Good luck!
C

October 30, 2008

New Law Authorizes Veterans’ Salutes during National Anthem

WASHINGTON -- Veterans and active-duty military not in uniform can now
render the military-style hand salute during the playing of the national anthem, thanks to
changes in federal law that took effect this month.
“The military salute is a unique gesture of respect that marks those who have
served in our nation’s armed forces,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Dr. James B.
Peake. “This provision allows the application of that honor in all events involving our
nation’s flag.”
The new provision improves upon a little known change in federal law last year
that authorized veterans to render the military-style hand salute during the raising, lowering
or passing of the flag, but it did not address salutes during the national anthem. Last year’s
provision also applied to members of the armed forces while not in uniform.
Traditionally, members of the nation’s veterans service organizations have rendered
the hand-salute during the national anthem and at events involving the national flag while
wearing their organization’s official head-gear.
The most recent change, authorizing hand-salutes during the national anthem by
veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel, was sponsored by Sen. Jim Inhofe of
Oklahoma, an Army veteran. It was included in the Defense Authorization Act of 2009,
which President Bush signed on Oct. 14.
The earlier provision authorizing hand-salutes for veterans and out-of-uniform
military personnel during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag, was contained in the
National Defense Authorization Act of 2008, which took effect Jan. 28, 2008.

spotts
11-12-08, 12:36 PM
I agree with Wookie. I dont see you getting a dime in disability for what probably was a pre-service related injury.

scpgrmt
11-12-08, 12:53 PM
Have had 3 major operations since also.
Replies are received, understood, and respected. Especialy Wookie!
I knew I would get some honest and direct answers.