PDA

View Full Version : 0311 Reserves

fox223
11-12-08, 08:15 AM
I am planning on joining the Marine Corps reserves and the only units in my area (Utah) are infantry units. An 03xx MOS is what I would like, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is done as far as training. How different is the training aspect as compared to active duty? And for the two weeks in the summer, do units travel to larger bases such as Camp Pendleton or 29 Palms, or do they usually stay in state? ANY info on the reserves would help. Right now all I really have to go off of is "one weekend a month, two weeks a year". Thanks.

rvillac2
11-12-08, 09:32 AM
The Reserves train just like active duty, except that they can only fit about 24 hours of it into one weekend. You will usually report early Friday night, prepare gear, and then move out to a training area. Then, you may rack out on the range or do a night march to the range and rack out afterwards. You'll wake up at dawn and continue the training cycle well into Saturday night. Sunday morning, you may continue to do a few hours of training before getting your gear together and moving back to the reserve center. By early afternoon at the reserve center, you're cleaning and servicing your weapons and gear. Then you would be dismissed before evening chow.

For a normal ATD (two weeks in summer), you will move to a Marine Corps training base like 29 Palms, Camp Pendleton, or Camp Lejeune. This will be the one time of the year that you'll see the rest of your battallion. You will most likely be in a combined arms exercise with other support battallions. You will be doing the usual grunt stuff. The real difference here is for the officers and HQ people in coordinating with the other units.

Cash2053
11-12-08, 07:39 PM
Most drills will be on Saturday and Sunday, but a few will start on Fridays. It really depends on your unit. You will train every drill, but don't expect to be locked on as your active duty counterparts as far as MOS training. Their are some outstanding reservist. It just depends on the individual and their desire to learn. As a reservist, you will be expected to PT on your own, and meet all the standards no matter what your civilian schedule is.

Scottie0417
11-13-08, 03:09 AM
I'm an 0300 reservist. My unit mostly drills on Saturdays and Sundays except when we go to the field. My first drill we had to be at the drill center by 1600 on Wednesday afternoon and didn't get dismissed until 1600 on Sunday...if your unit is going out to the field for a drill, it might be a little bit longer than the weekend. Don't be surprised if you have 4 or even 5 day drills sometimes. I haven't gone to AT with my unit yet, but they went to Peru this summer. Next summer we'll be going to an Army National Guard base somewhere in California.