View Full Version : In honor of veterans

thedrifter
11-12-08, 06:22 AM
In honor of veterans
Comments | Recommend
DAV hosts ceremony for service members past and present
November 11, 2008 - 5:46PM
SUZANNE ULBRICH

Nine-year-old Jacob Garcia is familiar with service to the country.

"My father is a Marine, my cousin is in the Navy and my grandfather was a Marine," said Jacob, who attended Tuesday's Veterans Day Ceremony with his mom Karen Garcia and grandmother Martha Kent as a way to honor those veterans in their family as well as those in their community.

The Disabled American Veterans Chapter 16 held the event as a tribute to veterans past and present.

Karen Garcia said she and Jacob read about the meaning and history of Veterans Day so Jacob would understand why there is a ceremony.

Kent, of Jacksonville, said her deceased husband, Sgt. Willis Kent, was in the Marine Corps for more than 20 years serving in World War II, Korea and Vietnam. Tuesday's ceremony offered a chance to honor him.

"Today is a remembrance for me and other military widows," she said after the ceremony.

About 100 representatives from local military chapters and organizations, dignitaries and citizens attended the event, which was held outside the DAV 16 headquarters in Jacksonville.

The 2nd Marine Division Band performed and retired Col. Paul O'Toole served as Master of Ceremonies. DAV 16 Commander Stavros Chantiles gave special recognition to George Barrows, Paul Campbell and Ralph Harper. O'Toole referred to the men, who are local residents active in several veteran organizations in the community, as "hard core warriors" having served in World War II, Korea and Vietnam.

Guest speaker Lt. Col. Thomas Siebenthal, commander of Wounded Warrior Battalion East, said his speech had a theme: "We're going to be OK."

He referred to 9-11 and Hurricane Katrina as disturbing times - times when the country seemed "thinly woven in spots."

"I know the folks here are looked on as weavers of tapestry ... who weave fabric into something beautiful, and are fine examples of what it means to serve," he said to the assembled crowd. "You have accepted challenges and served not only in uniform, but you're clearly serving now, just in different capacities."

He discussed the history of the Wounded Warriors program and talked about the significant progress being made.

"We've come a heck of a long way for our wounded service men, and the pubic has been awesome ... fully behind us," he said.

Karen Garcia said she hoped people would remember one thing about Veterans Day: "It's not just a day off from work," she said. "It's a day to remember people who went to war for you."

Contact Topsail area reporter Suzanne Ulbrich at sulbrich@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8454.

Ellie