PDA

View Full Version : Fitreps

USMC-Fox
11-11-08, 09:01 AM
Hello, all! I am new here. I have a...unique...situation that I am hoping you devil dogs can help me with!
I am a newly promoted Sergeant (Oct 1). I am currently deployed to the Philippines. I am attached to a team of Green Berets. Where I am located the senior Marine on this island is a Gunnery Sergeant who is located elsewhere, and I do not have very much contact with him. I know jack about fitreps, and I need some tips. Obviously since I am part of a Joint Special Operations Task Force in a combat zone, I will be doing a Joint Combat fitrep. I don't know where to begin, who needs to sign off on it, or anything. I assume that the Army Captain who is the ODA team leader will be my reporting senior, but like I said I don't really know much about how this is supposed to work. I don't even know what the fitrep web site is. Like I said, I don't have really have any Marines here who can school me up.
So, anyway, could I get a quick down-and-dirty on fitreps? Thanks!
:flag:

bigdog43701
11-11-08, 10:35 AM
something don't smell right....you say your a sgt with SpecOps and you don't know how to do a FITREP? if that's the case son, give the army thier sergeant stripes back. every SpecOps warrior knows FITREPS.

Bdchi1
11-11-08, 10:58 AM
Easy bigdog...he did say fitrep, not sitrep. Fox, shortest route to your answer would be to call the gunny. Young devil dogs getting pushed through the ranks to fast today tend to miss out on the administrative reqs of the corps, even more so in joint service ops.

Also, always remember to establish a beach head where ever you go. So, find your local admin pogue in the S-1 and get some answers there. A good pogue is a valuable asset for a grunt. You can get all kinds of scuttlebutt from them. Worth a shot.

thewookie
11-11-08, 11:04 AM
I am currently deployed to the Philippines.

Is the Rock Depot still there in Olongapo on Masisi Blvd? Man,,, I miss that place....

DIBLO7
11-11-08, 11:13 AM
The manual that you need to look at is called the PES manual (MCO P1610.7F), you'll be able to find it on the Marine Corps website. If you go onto your MOL, you should be able to find the APES link. That is where you need to start. As for your RS, if it is in fact the Army Captain he needs to get an APES account, its been a long time since I've done it but if I remember correctly there should be some directions somewhere on MOL/APES.

My best piece of advise would be to get with that GySgt that in on the island and see what info he gives you since he is in a similar situation.

Below is a link to the PES manual -
http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Pages/MCO%20P1610.7F.aspx

Hope that helps.

Quinbo
11-11-08, 03:11 PM
Methinks that depending on the length of time you are working with an Army unit you would get a not observed from the gunny with an addendum from the the Army that would probably go in your section C .

USMC-Fox
11-11-08, 06:43 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll read up on that MCO and try to get in touch with that Gunny.

Is the Rock Depot still there in Olongapo on Masisi Blvd? Man,,, I miss that place....

No idea where that is. I don't think any of the roads on this island have names though, and if the Rock Depot is a club, then I guarantee it's not here! This place is third-world to the bone.

something don't smell right....you say your a sgt with SpecOps and you don't know how to do a FITREP? if that's the case son, give the army thier sergeant stripes back. every SpecOps warrior knows FITREPS.

Settle down, friend. I'm a Marine, not a soldier. I was just tossed into the mix because these guys were a bit shorthanded. The army doesn't do fitreps anyway; they have "NCO Evaluation Reports." ;)

USMC-Fox
11-11-08, 07:18 PM
Methinks that depending on the length of time you are working with an Army unit you would get a not observed from the gunny with an addendum from the the Army that would probably go in your section C .

Keep in mind too that the Gunny isn't in my chain of command. He just happens to be the senior Marine on the island. My chain of command is all back in Hawaii. Would he still be included in the process?

Quinbo
11-12-08, 12:38 AM
The only experience I can rely on is a few schools that I attended that were longer than 30 days but less than 6 months. I received fit reps from the schools but they were not observed with comments. No idea if cross decking services would require your current Army chain of command to produce a fit rep for you. You do need to stay after it so as not to get any fit rep gaps.

JerzysFinest
11-12-08, 01:00 AM
Brother,

Different commands will have different processes with Marines filling out thier FITREPs. It seems to me that you are in an "independent" type of duty, where you will need to "talk yourself up" in your FITREP because there is no one higher to know exactly what you have accomplished during your reporting period. Ensure that you start your FITREP on the day you were promoted. The end date can/will depend on your tour of duty, transfer date, etc. But most likely it will be an 'AN' (Annual report) or 'TD' (Temporary Duty). If you have access to MOL you can click on the Resources tab and find a link to A-PES. This is the site where you will log in and complete all of your FITREPs and be able to monitor the doc until it is complete

1. Complete an MRO Worksheet on A-PES. The MROW is completed as follows:

Marine logs onto MOL (all Marines must have accounts)

Select Resources - Automated Performance Eval. System - MROW - Create a MROW- Marine fills in Sect A, B, and C, and information on PME and Awards in the spaces provided - Select Save

The MROW is then stored and can be accessed throughout the reporting period.

2. Update the MRO Worksheet throughout the reporting period - adding billet accomplishments, awards, completed PME, etc along the way. MROW is accessed and updated as follows:
-Log onto MOL and select Resources - Automated Performance Eval. System - MROW - My Personal - Edit
-Edits are done, and "Save" is selected again.

3. 30 days before the end of the reporting period, the RS should go into A-PES, as the Trusted Assistant, and completes the FITREP on the Marine

4. Once the FITREP is completed by you, it will show up in the RS's inbox. He will then complete his portion and it will show up on MOL as being complete.

That's just to get you started, but you may have already gone past this point. Check the order and hit up your command. While you may be in a remote place, the internet does wonders, and if you are slated within your command, higher should have you in their rosters on MOL/A-PES giving them access to process your FITREP. When going through the MROW (Marine Reported On Worksheet aka what you accessed to generate the FITREP) there are different sections that need to be filled out.

Section A - Self-explanatory. To and from date: Make sure there are no gaps when completing subsequent FITREPs.

Section B - Use tac marks and insert concise phrases of what your duties and responsibilities are for the billet/position you hold in the unit (make sure the tense of the words you use is correct, it's always like your are talking in third person about yourself, but in the present)
-Provides armed perimeter security for 'insert here base/location'
-Conducts security/recon training patrols in correlation with 'unit' 's obligation to train host country military.

*These are vague examples which should not be used directly but give you an idea on how to word and what to put.

Section C - This section is a reflection of Section B. For example in Section B you put that you complete weekly training work-ups with host country military. Now in Section C you would put the amount of hours and how many times you conducted such training. Again your command should shed some light on what the standard billet descriptions are for a Marine such as yourself.

PME/Education - Include your MCIs/any College education completed during the reporting period. Remember, the only things that you can include in your first FITREP are from when you picked up Sgt. If you did 30 MCIs this year and only 2 as a Sgt, then only 2 MCIs should be annotated on the MROW

Awards/Commend. Material/Community Service - Self-explanatory. Any LOA, Comm Letters, Personal Medals, Community Service etc.

I hope some of this helps but certainly hit up your command for clarification.

If you're wondering how I know all of this awesome Marine Corps knowlegde you should definitely check out the MSG (Marine Security Guard) program. You will learn to be a guru in all the basic MOSes of the Corps. Especially admin. Yay collats.

S/F,

USMC-Fox
11-12-08, 02:21 AM
That's some damn good gouge. I really appreciate it. I logged onto A-PES, but I was unable to select the RS because the search for his name/ssn didn't return any results. Does he need to create an A-PES account, and how would he go about doing that?

Achped
11-12-08, 02:39 AM
Where at in Hawaii?

USMC-Fox
11-12-08, 03:13 AM
Where at in Hawaii?
3rd Marines
MCBH Kaneohe Bay

Achped
11-14-08, 03:04 AM
Are you in a battalion or with regiment?

USMC-Fox
11-14-08, 04:43 AM
Are you in a battalion or with regiment?

I was with 3/3. I did two deployments with them to Iraq. As a short timer, they dropped me to regiment, and from there I went TAD to SOCPAC for this deployment. I was only actually WITH the regiment for a couple of weeks.

UsmcMotorT
11-14-08, 07:04 AM
check your pms

usmc0331
11-15-08, 12:26 PM
I was with 3/3. I did two deployments with them to Iraq. As a short timer, they dropped me to regiment, and from there I went TAD to SOCPAC for this deployment. I was only actually WITH the regiment for a couple of weeks.

my cousin was with 3/3 kilo I believe, sgt garrett( he would have been a cpl at the time you know him? he would have been there about 2 yrs ago

radiorecon71
12-17-08, 04:14 PM
Joint Operations have really changed the way the Marines go about doing business these days. Check with your command, but many units now do FitReps this way when you are under another units watch:

Your RS should be your platoon commander or whoever is typically your RS at your home unit. The Marines do this now because it hurts a Marine to be evaluated by an Army or any other commander who has zero or limited history of reporting on Marines. It is better to have a Marine as your RS and RO. Verify that your command wants your fitrep done this way... otherwise, you get screwed in the end for having a fitrep that means next to nothing when the Selection Board convenes. Whoever is your CO or supervisor now should write up a significant evaluation of your performance for forwarding to the intended RS back home.

Fill out your Billet Descripion and Major Accomplishments and whatnot as you normally would. As a new Sergeant, keep in mind that just because it's part of your job, it doesn't mean it's not an "accomplishment". Everything can count in the grand scheme of making you more competitive. If you don't toot your own horn, nobody else will do it for you. I can give you a whole class now, but this is where you get to be creative.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

SSgt. Kellis, R.B
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/smilies/seal.gif

I used to be stationed at 3rd Radio Bn in Kaneohe... I know there's a lot of support to operations in the Phillipines right now and junior Marines are left to fend for themselves. This happens alot due to the ops tempo these days.

stacey1983
01-09-09, 09:11 AM
Here's a new one. Let say a Marine is measured at 67 1/2'' at all his/her Commands and rounded up to 68'', but he/she was measured at 67 and right under the half which was rounded to 67 at the sgt's course and career's course. Should the Marine keep reporting the measurement he/she receive at the Command or go by the more accurate measurements that were taken at the academy? Should the Marine submit a letter to the president fo the selection board explaining the height why most of the fitreps have him/her listed at 68''?

Petz
01-09-09, 09:39 AM
* - this stuff in section B is to reflect your MOS so it show's MOS credibility... if you are a MT bubba (like myself) then you want to add MT bubba stuff to show them you are doing stuff in your...

lowkeys760
03-11-09, 05:51 PM
Brother,

Different commands will have different processes with Marines filling out thier FITREPs. It seems to me that you are in an "independent" type of duty, where you will need to "talk yourself up" in your FITREP because there is no one higher to know exactly what you have accomplished during your reporting period. Ensure that you start your FITREP on the day you were promoted. The end date can/will depend on your tour of duty, transfer date, etc. But most likely it will be an 'AN' (Annual report) or 'TD' (Temporary Duty). If you have access to MOL you can click on the Resources tab and find a link to A-PES. This is the site where you will log in and complete all of your FITREPs and be able to monitor the doc until it is complete

1. Complete an MRO Worksheet on A-PES. The MROW is completed as follows:

Marine logs onto MOL (all Marines must have accounts)

Select Resources - Automated Performance Eval. System - MROW - Create a MROW- Marine fills in Sect A, B, and C, and information on PME and Awards in the spaces provided - Select Save

The MROW is then stored and can be accessed throughout the reporting period.

2. Update the MRO Worksheet throughout the reporting period - adding billet accomplishments, awards, completed PME, etc along the way. MROW is accessed and updated as follows:
-Log onto MOL and select Resources - Automated Performance Eval. System - MROW - My Personal - Edit
-Edits are done, and "Save" is selected again.

3. 30 days before the end of the reporting period, the RS should go into A-PES, as the Trusted Assistant, and completes the FITREP on the Marine

4. Once the FITREP is completed by you, it will show up in the RS's inbox. He will then complete his portion and it will show up on MOL as being complete.

That's just to get you started, but you may have already gone past this point. Check the order and hit up your command. While you may be in a remote place, the internet does wonders, and if you are slated within your command, higher should have you in their rosters on MOL/A-PES giving them access to process your FITREP. When going through the MROW (Marine Reported On Worksheet aka what you accessed to generate the FITREP) there are different sections that need to be filled out.

Section A - Self-explanatory. To and from date: Make sure there are no gaps when completing subsequent FITREPs.

Section B - Use tac marks and insert concise phrases of what your duties and responsibilities are for the billet/position you hold in the unit (make sure the tense of the words you use is correct, it's always like your are talking in third person about yourself, but in the present)
-Provides armed perimeter security for 'insert here base/location'
-Conducts security/recon training patrols in correlation with 'unit' 's obligation to train host country military.

*These are vague examples which should not be used directly but give you an idea on how to word and what to put.

Section C - This section is a reflection of Section B. For example in Section B you put that you complete weekly training work-ups with host country military. Now in Section C you would put the amount of hours and how many times you conducted such training. Again your command should shed some light on what the standard billet descriptions are for a Marine such as yourself.

PME/Education - Include your MCIs/any College education completed during the reporting period. Remember, the only things that you can include in your first FITREP are from when you picked up Sgt. If you did 30 MCIs this year and only 2 as a Sgt, then only 2 MCIs should be annotated on the MROW

Awards/Commend. Material/Community Service - Self-explanatory. Any LOA, Comm Letters, Personal Medals, Community Service etc.

I hope some of this helps but certainly hit up your command for clarification.

If you're wondering how I know all of this awesome Marine Corps knowlegde you should definitely check out the MSG (Marine Security Guard) program. You will learn to be a guru in all the basic MOSes of the Corps. Especially admin. Yay collats.

S/F,

I never did a fitrep and I was clueless but you gave easy instruction i apppreciate devil

Petz
03-12-09, 01:06 AM
Here's a new one. Let say a Marine is measured at 67 1/2'' at all his/her Commands and rounded up to 68'', but he/she was measured at 67 and right under the half which was rounded to 67 at the sgt's course and career's course. Should the Marine keep reporting the measurement he/she receive at the Command or go by the more accurate measurements that were taken at the academy? Should the Marine submit a letter to the president fo the selection board explaining the height why most of the fitreps have him/her listed at 68''?

man, I just saw this... sorry about the late post!!!!

you should go with what is more prevalent in your FITREPS and you should if possible get your old FITREPS corrected... otherwise write a letter to the president explaining the height difference, but I think that if you are half an inch or more you round up... so look it up in the regs... it changes a lot, then go by that... but still you should write the letter and explain and reference the regs and why it's different. a one inch varience is different from a 2-3 inch change they often see as the Marine gets slightly more fat as time goes on.

KawiGunny
03-12-09, 07:43 AM
I would talk to the Gunny over there first about getting help from him, if possible, with filling out your own FitRep. If the Army Capt. is the senior officer over there, he will be the reviewing officer. If there is a Lt around, make him the reporting officer. Just make sure that the fitrep goes to a Marine officer of equal or higher rank as the reviewing officer for a third party signing. Since the Army doesn't use our A-PES on MOL, you will need to accomplish this on a hard copy.

When I was on CADRE duty, I would write mine and my Marines fitreps. I had a GS-13 that was my reporting officer and I Navy Cmdr that was my reviewing officer. Then I had to send it to a Marine LtCol or Col for a third officer signing. Having the Third officer signing adds validity to the report and he also checks to ensure it was done properly and fair to the MRO.

Another option to check into. With this being a Joint Service Operation, there is probably a high ranking Marine officer somewhere in the chain. If so, the Army Capt can be your reporting officer and then forward it to the Marine officer for the reviewing officer comments/signature.

Regardless of what avenue of approach you use, please read the manual someone has given you the link to. Learn it like you do any MOS knowledge. The fitrep is your livelyhood for staying active.

RDio
10-27-15, 07:28 PM
If you get promoted to SGT short of 90 (80) days before OCT 1st are you required to fill a FiTREP? I understand if you are short of 90 days a non-oberseved is to be filled out by your RO. I also understand a non-oberserved FITREP is something you do not want in you OMPF. I asked around and was told by a marine that recently went to SGT course that you are not required . In fact what is required are a last pair of pros and con. I am looking for the order and am having trouble finding somethin on it. I would very much appreciate any light you can shine on the matter.

Respectfully
RDIo