View Full Version : Veterans mark 233rd birthday of Marine Corps

thedrifter
11-11-08, 07:51 AM
Veterans mark 233rd birthday of Marine Corps
The traditional cake is sliced with a sword

By Rachel McGrath
Correspondent
Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Marine veterans of several wars, including World War II, the Vietnam War, the Gulf War and the current war in Iraq gathered in Simi Valley on Monday evening to celebrate the 233rd birthday of the Marines.

The Marines attended the informal gathering at T.G.I. Friday's restaurant on Tapo Canyon Road to raise a glass in salute to the Marine Corps founders.

The event was organized by retired Marine Sgt. Albert Carnahan and Cpl. Nick Chacon, graduates of Simi Valley High School who both saw active duty in the war in Iraq.

"For the last three years, I've been sitting around every Marine Corps birthday doing nothing," said Carnahan, 28, who served in the Marines from December 2000 to December 2004, including two tours in Iraq. "So this year I asked Chacon to go for a beer to mark the occasion."

"Then I figured that if I'm sitting on a couch with nothing to do then there must be other Marines in Simi Valley doing the same, so we decided to open it up."

On Nov. 10, 1775, during the American Revolution, a resolution drafted by John Adams was approved by the Continental Congress, forming the Continental Marines.

"On the birthday, you're all supposed to celebrate the Marine Corps spirit. No matter where you are, pretty much every Marine will stop for a moment," said Chacon, 24, who was seriously injured during fighting in the Anbar province of Iraq in 2004. He now serves as an officer with the Los Angeles Police Department.

Members of the Marines Corps League of Ventura County Detachment No. 597 in Simi Valley were also among the 40 or so who attended the celebration.

Al Lansdale, the league's color guard commander, says he and his fellow league members were "honored to be invited."

"The most important thing when you become a United States Marine is the brotherhood of the Marine Corps. This is the most important holiday of the year for us, and it's important for Marines to get together," said the 64-year-old veteran who served in the Marines from 1962 to 1965 and saw active duty during the blockade of Cuba in 1962.

A birthday cake provided by the Marine Corps League was cut with a sword in a traditional ceremony dating back 200 years, with the oldest Marine present getting the first piece of cake and the youngest Marine present getting the second piece.

Carnahan says it is hard for him to put into words why it was so important to him to be able to celebrate the Marine Corps birthday in this way.

"It's just because of what the Marine Corps has done for me and meant for me," he said.

"I just know I need to do it. The Marines is something I am always going to be involved in for the rest of my life."

On the Net:

http://www.mcl597.org

http://www.marines.com

Ellie