PDA

View Full Version : Wearing utilities on Veterens day?

Sheila Hays
11-10-08, 11:24 PM
I would never wear utilities on Veterans Day. But now all I ever see, are all the branches of the service wearing Cammies. I can't figure out why? I see Generals with four stars wearing cammies. In 1959-1962, we wore utilities if we had the duty at night. We could not go off base in them. I guess that was then, everything has changed. Semper Fi Sheila Hays

Corbin
11-10-08, 11:40 PM
Hello,
I just saw a video on youtube of a SGT trying out different uniforms asking which would look best for veterans day. He tried on both woodland and desert camis. I was wondering, I know I was told several times not to wear utilities on leave and liberty. Is it allowed on veterans day?
I also don't know if the SGT was still in the corps or not.

- PFC Hinton, Corbin

Pete0331
11-11-08, 12:41 AM
Is it allowed on veterans day?

NO!

The only time it might be authorized is if your superior makes it the uniform of the day.

Corbin
11-11-08, 12:49 AM
Good to go Cpl. I will remind the SGT.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-11-08, 06:44 AM
Marines are NOT authorized to wear the utilities UNLESS they are the "Uniform of the day".

Furthermore, they are NOT authorized to wear the utility uniform in ANY 'off base' location, unless they are basically stopping for gas, or going thru a drive thru at a fast food joint. Unlike the rest of the branches, the USMC doesn't believe the utility uniform is to be worn except in the field or when otherwise permitted on base.

And, realistically, that goes for various parts of the uniform as well.

0231Marine
11-11-08, 07:06 AM
Marines are NOT authorized to wear the utilities UNLESS they are the "Uniform of the day".

Furthermore, they are NOT authorized to wear the utility uniform in ANY 'off base' location, unless they are basically stopping for gas, or going thru a drive thru at a fast food joint. Unlike the rest of the branches, the USMC doesn't believe the utility uniform is to be worn except in the field or when otherwise permitted on base.

And, realistically, that goes for various parts of the uniform as well.

That has changed as well. There was a new Marine Corps order that came out last year from General Conway saying that Marines are not authorized to stop and get gas any longer while in Cammies. This is not to say it still doesn't happen because Marines will still be Marines and there are those that think they're above the law. Basically, you should only be out of your vehicle off base if it's an emergency or if you're picking up your kids from an off base day care or school while on the way home. They have gas stations on base so use them!

July 25th, 2007 -

THE MCCUU IS A FIELD UNIFORM AND IS NOT APPROPRIATE FOR WEAR IN A
CIVILIAN ENVIRONMENT. WEAR OF THE MCCUU IS AUTHORIZED WHILE COMMUTING
TO AND FROM WORK VIA PRIVATELY OWNED VEHICLE. HOWEVER, EFFECTIVE
IMMEDIATELY, AND AS A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE TO THE REF, EN ROUTE STOPS
WHILE OFF-BASE ARE NOT AUTHORIZED EXCEPT FOR BONAFIDE EMERGENCIES, SUCH
AS MEDICAL EMERGENCIES, VEHICLE BREAKDOWN, OR VEHICLE ACCIDENTS.
4. MARINES MAY ONLY WEAR THE MCCUU AT OFF-BASE ESTABLISHMENTS WHEN USING
DRIVE-THRU SERVICES SUCH AS ATMS, FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS, OR DRY CLEANERS
WHEN THEY WILL NOT EXIT THE VEHICLE.
4.A. THE MCCUU IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR AT OFFICIAL / UNOFFICIAL
FUNCTIONS AND CONFERENCES HELD OFF-BASE OR OFF GOVERNMENT INSTALLATIONS
AND FACILITIES.THE MCCUU IS A FIELD UNIFORM AND IS NOT APPROPRIATE FOR WEAR IN A
CIVILIAN ENVIRONMENT. WEAR OF THE MCCUU IS AUTHORIZED WHILE COMMUTING
TO AND FROM WORK VIA PRIVATELY OWNED VEHICLE. HOWEVER, EFFECTIVE
IMMEDIATELY, AND AS A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE TO THE REF, EN ROUTE STOPS
WHILE OFF-BASE ARE NOT AUTHORIZED EXCEPT FOR BONAFIDE EMERGENCIES, SUCH
AS MEDICAL EMERGENCIES, VEHICLE BREAKDOWN, OR VEHICLE ACCIDENTS.
4. MARINES MAY ONLY WEAR THE MCCUU AT OFF-BASE ESTABLISHMENTS WHEN USING
DRIVE-THRU SERVICES SUCH AS ATMS, FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS, OR DRY CLEANERS
WHEN THEY WILL NOT EXIT THE VEHICLE.
4.A. THE MCCUU IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR AT OFFICIAL / UNOFFICIAL
FUNCTIONS AND CONFERENCES HELD OFF-BASE OR OFF GOVERNMENT INSTALLATIONS
AND FACILITIES.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-11-08, 07:11 AM
And there you have it. I had heard something along those lines but wasn't 100 percent sure. Thanks for the clarification!

And that, I'd say, would be the FINAL word.