PDA

View Full Version : Judge rules for Beirut blast kin

thedrifter
05-31-03, 08:20 AM
Article ran : 05/31/2003
Judge rules for Beirut blast kin
By ROSELEE PAPANDREA
DAILY NEWS STAFF
A U.S. District Court judge ruled Friday that victims and families of American troops killed in the 1983 Beirut barracks bombing be compensated by Iran.

The questions that remain are how much money the families will receive and how the money will be taken from the Islamic Republic of Iran.

Judge Royce C. Lamberth is expected to make a decision about the amount before the 20th anniversary of the bombing on Oct. 23, said attorney Steven R. Perles of Washington, D.C.

Perles, who specializes in international law, and attorney Thomas Fortune Fay of Washington, D.C., who practices personal injury law, are representing 153 families and injured survivors of the attack.

Many of those families still live in Jacksonville, Perles said. Most of the service members killed or injured in the blast were from Camp Lejeune and New River Air Station.

"The court today said that Iran did this," Perles said. "They are responsible. They are held liable."

The trial to determine liability was held March 17-18 in Washington, D.C. Iranian officials did not respond to the lawsuit.

The judge's ruling left Lynn Smith Derbyshire of Virginia feeling like justice was served. Derbyshire's older brother, Capt. Vincent Smith, was one of the 241 service members killed in the bombing of the U.S. Marine barracks.

Smith, who was 30 at the time, was part of Camp Lejeune's 24th Marine Amphibious Unit that was sent to Lebanon on a peacekeeping mission in May 1983. The unit's name has since been changed to 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit.

"I think the whole family feels that having Judge Lamberth rule this way is a vindication for us," Derbyshire said. "It's a sense of justice after all of these years. Finally, someone has been named a guilty party. It's a huge catharsis for us."

For almost 20 years, Derbyshire and relatives of other victims have been waiting for someone to blame. Now, the court has done that for them.

"To have him taken from us in such a violent way and to not really be able to name a guilty person has been difficult," she said. "It's a huge sense of justice to say that the government of Iran is the guilty party."

The second phase of the lawsuit, which will determine how much compensation the families will receive, isn't as important to Derbyshire.

"Obviously, to me, it's not about the money," she said. "I do think that there is a huge part of justice in terms of the guilty party paying compensation. But if we don't ever get that, I still will feel vindicated from what happened (Friday)."

In order to expedite the damages portion of the court proceedings, masters or temporary judges will be assigned to different geographic regions. Masters are usually experienced attorneys or retired judges, Perles said.

"It would take two days to present damages for each family," Perles said. "It would be two years of full-time work if a single judge did it."

Each master will hear about 12 to 15 cases. The families will be represented by attorneys in those regions, including some from Jacksonville. Perles said he didn't know at this time which Jacksonville attorneys would be representing families.

"This way the families only have to travel locally, and we should be through the damages phase by the anniversary of the bombing," he said.

Perles said there were two difficult aspects of the lawsuit.

"One is a purely legal question regarding whether an active-duty military person can avail themselves of this remedy," Perles said. "The court said 'yes' provided that they were under the peacetime rules of engagement."

He specified that if a Marine or other service member was killed in action during the war in Iraq, that Marine's family couldn't be compensated in the same way because the war wasn't part of a peacetime mission.

The other difficult part of the case is collecting the money that the judge will award the families, Perles said.

"How do you make the government of Iran pay? We will look for hidden Iranian assets in United States or Iranian assets in third countries where we think the government might be sympathetic to an enforcement action," Perles said.

In the meantime, Derbyshire will continue to speak out about the Beirut bombing because she said it's the only way to stop terrorism.

"I don't think you can have true justice without awareness," she said. "I don't think that people realize to the full extent that the government of Iran was involved with the bombing. I think until people are made aware of that in a broad context, the war on terrorism is never going to be won."

Families of Beirut victims who are interested in joining the litigation can contact Perles at (202) 745-1300.

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
05-31-03, 07:39 PM
May 31, 8:01 AM EDT

Judge Blames Iran for'83 Beirut Blast

By SAM HANANEL
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A federal judge blamed Iran for the 1983 terrorist bombing that killed 241 U.S. Marines in Beirut and said Tehran would have to pay damages to survivors and relatives.

U.S. District Judge Royce C. Lamberth said Friday the suicide truck bombing was carried out by the terrorist group Hezbollah with the approval and funding of senior Iranian officials.

"Based on the evidence presented by the expert witnesses at trial, the court finds that it is beyond question that Hezbollah and its agents received massive material and technical support from the Iranian government," Lamberth wrote.

Under Lamberth's ruling, a special master will decide how much the 153 families who filed a lawsuit should collect in compensatory and punitive damages.

"I literally sank to my knees in tears when I heard the news," said Lynn Smith Derbyshire, one of the plaintiffs in the case, who lost her older brother in the Beirut explosion.

"I just feel like it's justice," she said. "I'm just so grateful that we've been able to prove in a court of law that there's a guilty party."

The lawsuit was filed under a 1996 U.S. law that allows Americans to sue nations that the State Department considers sponsors of terrorism for damages suffered in terrorist acts.

Lamberth entered a default judgment against the Iranian government last December after it failed to respond to the lawsuit, but the court was required to examine the facts before finding Tehran liable for damages. Friday's ruling was based on evidence presented at a two-day trial in March.

Other Americans have won judgments against Iran and other countries named as sponsors of terrorism, but the U.S. government has been reluctant to seize foreign assets to pay the judgments, fearing international retaliation.

Instead, Congress has approved payment of more than $300 million from the Treasury Department to compensate a specific list of terrorism victims who have already won judgments against Iran. Former Associated Press correspondent Terry Anderson, who was held captive in Lebanon for nearly seven years, secured a judgment against Iran and collected $26.2 million in frozen assets.

Thomas Fortune Fay, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said there is a chance Congress will pass new legislation to allow his clients to collect some of the damages they expect the court to award in this case. But he said the Bush administration should allow plaintiffs to file claims against up to $4 billion in frozen Iranian assets left in the United States.

"They can have a very strong deterrent to terrorism if they just stand back and let us go after the assets," Fay said.

The Marines in Beirut were part of a multinational peacekeeping mission intended to provide stability during the civil war between Muslims and Christians in Lebanon. Lamberth heard evidence that the bombing was part of Iran's effort to stamp out the U.S. presence in Lebanon by killing American diplomats and servicemen and kidnapping civilians.

Perhaps the most powerful evidence presented was the testimony of retired Adm. James Lyons, who was deputy chief of naval operations in 1983. He said U.S. officials intercepted a message from the Iranian ambassador to Syria, who instructed terrorist leaders "to take spectacular action against the U.S. Marines" in Beirut.

Based on the evidence, Lamberth found the attack was approved by Iran's top government officials - including the late supreme cleric Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini and then-President Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani.

In the early hours of Oct. 23, 1998, a truck carrying more than 2,000 pounds of explosives sped past a sentry post and exploded in the center of the Marine barracks as many servicemen slept. The blast was the largest non-nuclear explosion that had ever been detonated on Earth.

President Reagan ordered U.S. troops to withdraw from Lebanon a few months after the bombing.

Sempers,

Roger