PDA

View Full Version : MOS Question

Pandza03
11-10-08, 05:20 PM
First off i'd like to say happy birthday =)
Second, i had a question about MOS.
I have not enlisted yet but plan too.
Now, if i go into boot, graduate, (03XX) and go off to SOI, how do i get "Chosen" for lets say recon or scout sniper or what ever..
Is that during SOI or during boot or what? I've looked around online and i just can't find any information on the topic so i was hoping you guys could help me here.

Thanks, Semper Fi.

WKranz
11-10-08, 05:37 PM
you can contract recon for one thing, as for sniper i believe you go to the fleet, take the indoc and then sit in STA platoon till your number gets called to go tosniper school. Im just a boot so i may be wrong on some of that, any experienced Marine care to chime in?

Pandza03
11-10-08, 05:43 PM
but does all this occur during SOI or..?

Pandza03
11-10-08, 06:00 PM
I've done my research on the forumn.
Search button helps.

Thank you, Semper Fi.

rvillac2
11-10-08, 06:03 PM
Looking at the Sticky's at the top of Poolee Hall doesn't hurt either.

Pandza03
11-10-08, 06:08 PM
Looking at the Sticky's at the top of Poolee Hall doesn't hurt either.

Yeah went there first :marine:

dhenderson88
11-10-08, 06:28 PM
I've done my research on the forumn.
Search button helps.

Thank you, Semper Fi.

Ekkkk, you don't rate Semper Fi there bub. I had to earn the right to say it, so shall you. :evilgrin:

On a happier note, Happy Birthday Marines!!!

Pandza03
11-10-08, 10:35 PM
;)
I look forward to earning that right :marine:

SnowCamies
11-21-08, 07:45 AM
ok first u have to go to SOI then if your not contracted to be recon u get selected or u take a indoc, then from there u go to BRC (basic recon course) then when u grad u go to tha jump school and then to get your suba bubble then u go to tha fleet and if u shoot high expert on tha range u get selected to do a sniper indoc then u go to sniper school its a long road to get where u wanna be kid

0231Marine
11-21-08, 08:18 AM
SnowCamies, U write like a 4 year old! And what exactly are "suba bubble?"

re8elmonk0341
11-21-08, 09:54 AM
Im no expert on the subject matter but im still gonna put in my 2 cent...cuz im a Sgt. of Infantry Marines....When your doing your enlistment process, and after you take the ASVAB and you PASS!!! You can sit down and talk with your Recruiter on what MOS you QUALIFY for and what MOS is AVAILABLE. What I mean by QUALIFY is, I know for a fact that UZ (Recon) you need a GT of 105, US Citizen, and NO drug waiver above the RS level. And if the MOS is not AVAILABLE then suck it up and choose another MOS. Good thing about the 0321 MOS is that any MOS can volunteer. When I was going through ITB they ask for volunteers to take the Recon indoc at Horno but you have to have a 1st class PFT, 1st class swim qual, and expert rifle. I think about 10 qualified, 4 made the indoc, and olny 2 passed BRC. As far as the STA indoc, they told us "when you get to your unit(s) and if you have a 1st class PFT and an expert on the range you can request to take the STA indoc, if the STA PLT is conducting one." Hope that helps, I didn't want to run "my gums" Semper Fi!!!

fieldcammies
11-26-08, 11:08 AM
ok first u have to go to SOI then if your not contracted to be recon u get selected or u take a indoc, then from there u go to BRC (basic recon course) then when u grad u go to tha jump school and then to get your suba bubble then u go to tha fleet and if u shoot high expert on tha range u get selected to do a sniper indoc then u go to sniper school its a long road to get where u wanna be kid

You obviously have no experience in this matter. There is no such pipeline that exists as you described it.

Currently, to become an 0321 Reconnaissance Marine the roadmap is as follows:

1. Boot camp
2. SOI (Infantry training battalion to become an 0311) Note: Lat move from non infantry MOS's now must earn the 0311 at SOI/ITB before going Recon.
3. MART - Marines Awaiting Reconnaissance Training...formerly called Pre-BRC, this used to be where we got our teeth kicked in above and below the water trying to earn a BRC school seat. I can't speak to the level of thrashing or the experience the student has at MART as this is a relatively new change.
4. BRC - Basic Reconnaissance Course...this is held at Camp Pendleton as is MART. You learn patrolling, communications, mission planning, reconnaissance skills, etc. Hopefully it's a gut check. After this you're an 0321 Recon Marine

You thought it was over? Think again. Once you're an 0321, you'll be assigned to a Recon unit. 1st Recon Bn at Pendleton, 2nd Recon Bn at LeJeune, or 3rd Recon Bn in Okinawa. Reservists will return to their respective reserve Recon unit. A few students have been sent to MARSOC after training, but don't count on it. They want experience...and not the kind you get at basic training and SOI.

When you arrive at your new duty station you will hopefully get some schooling, but there is no guarantee. I've met Marines who got out without even going to jump school or SERE. Most junior Recon Marines will go to Army Airborne (jump school) and earn his lead sleds (silver jump wings) and you'll probably go to SERE school. I wouldn't count on getting Combatant Diver before you deploy. It happens, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Note: You absolutely WILL go to Pre-Dive...the most fun Recon Marines ever have in the pool...

Shoot expert on the range, be a stud physically, be smart, and be **** hot...you could get a seat at sniper school. Expect to be sent to Pre-Sniper first. Your performance there will determine if you get a seat. As a boot, you're competing against Marines who know what they're getting into, have combat experience, and are thirsty to earn the HOG's Tooth (you probably don't even know what that is yet) more than you can imagine. Don't let that discourage you. Work harder.

The Marine Corps has allowed its standards to be lowered. It's not very difficult to be accepted into Recon training. I don't know how hard it'll be for you to earn the 0321 MOS, but just know (and any wannabes out there pay attention) that the Reconnaissance Community doesn't accept the Marine Corps' bare minimum. If you expect to operate in this community, you will held to a higher standard in more ways than one. Physical fitness is only one part of this.

Hope that provides some insight. I know there is plenty of bad information out there regarding this matter.