PDA

View Full Version : Backing Out of DEP

bbc1987
11-10-08, 09:14 AM
My friend is in DEP and she is having late second thoughts. She doesn't want to approach her recruiter with this question so I'm asking you guys for some help. How would she go about getting out if she decided she didn't want to stay?

yellowwing
11-10-08, 09:20 AM
A basic up front call would suffice, "You know what, this is not for me. I am sorry for wasting your time."

Is she having cold feet on committment, or some family problems at home?

rvillac2
11-10-08, 09:20 AM
No profile. We like to know who we're talking to.
Better yet, have her log in and ask the question herself.

bbc1987
11-10-08, 09:22 AM
Cold feet, she doesn't want to leave friends and family. I just looked up on some site that you can just simply not go to your ship date?

brian21johansen
11-10-08, 09:41 AM
Cold feet, she doesn't want to leave friends and family. I just looked up on some site that you can just simply not go to your ship date?

Has she thought about the Marine Corps Reserves?

bbc1987
11-10-08, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure. i'll tell her to come check this place out. Glad I found it. thanks for all your help.

Seyborg
11-10-08, 02:13 PM
The DEP is 100% no obligation. It's better that way, if you ask me! You're recruiter might act like it isn't or that it is hard to get you out but it ain't.

Don't be intimidated by some **** bag recruiter (that is, if he turns out to be one). He can't do **** to you, you're not even part of the gov't yet.

Semper Fidelis and Happy Birthday,

PFC Seybert

PS. Mods, I need promoted. Thanks. 'Rah.

mgkusmc
11-11-08, 12:52 AM
Tell her to get her ass on the forums, I dont know about anyone else but the week before I shipped out it seemed like every 2 minutes my mind changed from "Can I leave now?" to "I dont want to do this!" to "I cant wait to leave!" to "What have I done?"

One thing that really works is ask her to tell you the reason why she enlisted in the first place....and usually that reminds them and motivates them.

SupChf
11-11-08, 06:58 AM
Don't be intimidated by some **** bag recruiter (that is, if he turns out to be one). He can't do **** to you, you're not even part of the gov't yet.

WTF????? Explain yourself there Boot!!

0231Marine
11-11-08, 07:15 AM
And WTF is 'RAH? Are you a friggin cheerleader there PFC?

Phantom Blooper
11-11-08, 07:21 AM
Seyborg,

You are letting your alligator mouth over run your hummingbird azz.

I know the recruiters here where you are stationed and I know allot of Marines on Camp Lejeune....I would refrain from using those comments....

# 1 as a Marine....
# 2 You are giving bum scoop....
#3 Check out your dumb azz posts as a poolee...
# 4 Since you don't know what you are talking about refrain from giving advice....
#5 Shut the hell up!:mad:

To the OP your friend needs to take care of this for herself. Tell her to dig deep and get that intestinal fortitude and make the decisions for herself. Your friend started it your friend needs to fix it one way or the other!

:evilgrin:

Seyborg
11-11-08, 07:30 AM
I know a lot of recruiters try to intimidate poolees. It's a sad truth. I don't mean to be overly agressive, but it's neccesary in such situations. If someone is having second thoughts about joinin' they need to seriously look at the choice they just made. My foul Gunnery Sgt.

Cpl. 'Rah is just a shortened version of Oorah. No cheerleading here.I picked it up from people in my unit.

Phantom- I was in the Army DEP for two months after I realized what a huge mistake I had made. I had to fight tooth and nail to get out so I could ship for summer months in the Corps. I have a bit of experience. I shouldn't of gone so aggressive, I agree. I apologize. My actions as a poolee mean not a thing, though.

Semper Fi.

PFC Seybert.

SupChf
11-11-08, 07:49 AM
I know a lot of recruiters try to intimidate poolees. It's a sad truth. I don't mean to be overly agressive, but it's neccesary in such situations. If someone is having second thoughts about joinin' they need to seriously look at the choice they just made. My foul Gunnery Sgt.

Cpl. 'Rah is just a shortened version of Oorah. No cheerleading here.I picked it up from people in my unit.

Phantom- I was in the Army DEP for two months after I realized what a huge mistake I had made. I had to fight tooth and nail to get out so I could ship for summer months in the Corps. I have a bit of experience. I shouldn't of gone so aggressive, I agree. I apologize. My actions as a poolee mean not a thing, though.

Semper Fi.

PFC Seybert.

FYI, As a "seasoned Marine" having been a recruiter and now working at an RS HQ, it is a big deal if someone wants out of the DEP. They sign a contract when they DEP and if the Government wanted to pursue it, they could legally enforce that contract. However, in most cases it is not wise fiscally. If you are using your Army DEP experience as the foundation of your "experience" you are wrong to do so. Get two Army Recruiters together and they can't agree on the time of day much less rules, regulations, and legal matters.

"Rah" is a sign of disrespect in my book and I would prefer you don't use it. It's a sign of lazyness, much like calling me "sarge"....if you are not motivated enough to use the entire phrase, don't use any part of it.

By all means, speak your peace, hell you've earned that right. Just be prepared for incoming fire. You earned the Eagle, Globe and Anchor, but you haven't earned the right to start writing your own traditions.

I'm right down Hwy 17 if you need any advice or guidance and I would be more than happy to talk with any of my brothers and friends who are Grunts at Camp Lejeune to help guide you in the right direction if you would like.

Gunz out ~

Phantom Blooper
11-11-08, 07:59 AM

You have a bit of experince...bit is the key word.

I still stand by my statements ..that bit of experience with that aggressive behavior and the intimating recruiters only intimidate if you go in the RSS and BS the recruiters or think you are a Marine before you are...and if you back out of one military service for another or if you have a laundry list of waivers more than Al Capone!

A recruiter or the Marine Corps doesn't need every Joe,Tom or Susie that walks in off the street.

The Marine Corps has thrived for 233 years and one day there are plenty of potential applicants without begging or kissing a poolees azz to join.

If you got a ration of shiat from your recruiter he may have been waiting to see if you was going to back out of the USMC DEP!:evilgrin:

Seyborg
11-11-08, 08:05 AM
I understand Gunnery Sgt. Oorah it is.

I wouldn't be using my own example if it only involved the Army. As far as some hazing, I'm down, just let 'em know I can out PT almost all of them. :P

Bloop: That very well may be why I had such a hard time. Nevertheless, I stuck through. I have shown myself to be a stellar Marine, in what I've accomplished that is. I was a stupid brat of a poolee. Now, I think it's time I say Aye Sir, and back down.

PFC SEYBERT.

Phantom Blooper
11-11-08, 08:07 AM
I have shown myself to be a stellar Marine, in what I've accomplished that is. I was a stupid brat of a poolee. Now, I think it's time I say Aye Sir, and back down.

Didn't say you were not a good Marine...just saying you don't know what your talking about all the way!:evilgrin:

SupChf
11-11-08, 08:13 AM
I understand Gunnery Sgt. Oorah it is.

I wouldn't be using my own example if it only involved the Army. As far as some hazing, I'm down, just let 'em know I can out PT almost all of them. :P

Bloop: That very well may be why I had such a hard time. Nevertheless, I stuck through. I have shown myself to be a stellar Marine, in what I've accomplished that is. I was a stupid brat of a poolee. Now, I think it's time I say Aye Sir, and back down.

PFC SEYBERT.

Now now, hazing is not legal anymore....LMAO

Enough said on my part and I think you get the picture. Semper Fidelis!

Phantom Blooper
11-11-08, 08:21 AM
Seyborg,

I out too....one final question...Why is Supply Chief... Gunnery Sergeant and I'm Bloop or Phantom? LMAO!:evilgrin:

Seyborg
11-11-08, 11:38 AM
:scared: uhh uhh uhhh...AYE SIR.

I don't really know. My apologies Gunnery Sgt. I think it's because he's active duty, not to say you dont rate or anything like that.

I'm still boot. Excuse my boot. Just don't put one in my ass. A boot that is...

Semper Fidelis and Happy Veterans Day!

PFC Seybert

mgkusmc
11-11-08, 01:11 PM
:scared: uhh uhh uhhh...AYE SIR.

I don't really know. My apologies Gunnery Sgt. I think it's because he's active duty, not to say you dont rate or anything like that.

I'm still boot. Excuse my boot. Just don't put one in my ass. A boot that is...

Semper Fidelis and Happy Veterans Day!

PFC Seybert

OH MY GOD! I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO BE YOUR DRILL INSTRUCTOR! Look at Phantom Bloopers rank again! And address him by his proper rank. (No offense Phantom but you arent getting promoted that easy lol)

SupChf
11-11-08, 01:29 PM
Seyborg,

I out too....one final question...Why is Supply Chief... Gunnery Sergeant and I'm Bloop or Phantom? LMAO!:evilgrin:

Good point!

JordanB
11-11-08, 04:41 PM
Your not legally obligated to go until you swear in the secound time at meps so shes still fine to chicken out.

bbc1987
11-21-08, 01:50 PM
Well, she asked her recruiter and he said that she already signed the contract and swore in so she cant back out.

MintusMaximus
11-22-08, 12:30 AM
Ya know... GySgt makes a good point. When she signed the first contract she made a legal agreement. The Government CAN enforce said agreement if they so choose.

To the PFC who keeps getting thrashed. Good initiative bad Judgment Devil Nuts. I like your motivation... Keep it up. As far as the 'Rah thing is concerned... I understand giving Boots a tough time but... come on. Who hasn't given someone the 'Errr" or a good 'ol "Yut" ?