PDA

View Full Version : Former, not retired

madsox
11-10-08, 12:32 AM
I know I should be able to find the reg, but I can't. Anyone have the official word on what uniform items a former Marine like me (10 yrs Rserve), who didn't stay in long enough to retire, is authorized to wear under what conditions?

Tie tacs, lapel pins, baseball caps and shirts I got, but I'd just love to put on my Blues one day for some formal event and really blow people's minds!

Just ain't right, though, far as I know.

And Happy Birthday again!

ecom
11-10-08, 02:11 AM
This is about all I can find on wear of uniforms by former members of the military:

3.2. Former members of the Armed Forces, unless under another provision of this Directive or under the terms of 10 U.S.C. 772 (reference (c)), who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions may wear the uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only upon the following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:

3.2.1. Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.
3.2.2. Parades on National or State holidays; or other parades or ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any Active or Reserve United States military unit is taking part.
3.2.3. Wearing of the uniform or any part thereof at any other time or for any other purposes is prohibited.

I found that information here: http://militarysalute.proboards45.com/index.cgi?board=protocol&action=display&thread=721

madsox
11-10-08, 09:26 AM
ecom: Thanks, bro, I found that same reg somewhere late last night while I was browsing around. I think it was on the MARCORSYSCOM site, since it seems www.usmc.mil has been retired (or routed off the public InterNet), and all the other pointers to regs and ALMARS point to that site.

So I think that is the correct and current regulation, which is good to know.

But it looks like I can wear my old woodland cammie covers, my OD field jacket, other stuff that's been taken out of service, and show the old colors with some pride!

TJR1070
11-10-08, 09:45 AM
I do know some Marine Corps Leagues authorize their members to wear their Dress Blues. My detachment wears Dress Blue Deltas with the MCL emblem patch on the shoulder and no rank insignia/decorations, however I just wear a suit and my MCL cover. If you do wear any regular service uniform you should conform to hygiene, grooming, and weight standards.

Maldonado 2060
11-10-08, 09:59 AM
If you do wear any regular service uniform you should conform to hygiene, grooming, and weight standards.

thank you for pointing that out. It is very important(atleast) to me that when wearing marine clothing you maintain a professional look and also act accordingly. I wont were any marine items(including logo t-shirts) unless im clean shaven,haircut.I think for 30+ yr old marines it ok to have a gut it shows experience;).anyone under that age wearing anything marine corps should look like they did a little out of bootcamp.

madsox
11-10-08, 01:06 PM
I wont were any marine items(including logo t-shirts) unless im clean shaven,haircut.I think for 30+ yr old marines it ok to have a gut it shows experience

Aw, I dunno about just t-shirts and such. Anything regulation, abso-frickin-lutely you should be squared away! That's actually pretty clear in the regs there, maintaining standards for weight, haircut, all that.

But for those of us in middle age or older (me? not quite 45, thanks) I think a little slack when you're wearing just a ballcap or a t-shirt is okay.

Don't be a disgusting slob, but if you're proud enough of being a Marine to show it, I'm gonna give you a friendly "Semper Fi" any time of day.

Palmer
11-26-08, 11:26 AM
This is about all I can find on wear of uniforms by former members of the military:

3.2. Former members of the Armed Forces, unless under another provision of this Directive or under the terms of 10 U.S.C. 772 (reference (c)), who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions may wear the uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only upon the following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:

3.2.1. Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.
3.2.2. Parades on National or State holidays; or other parades or ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any Active or Reserve United States military unit is taking part.
3.2.3. Wearing of the uniform or any part thereof at any other time or for any other purposes is prohibited.
I found that information here: http://militarysalute.proboards45.com/index.cgi?board=protocol&action=display&thread=721

If you read the order all the way, it states that this is implied for the Dress Blue A Uniform (Jacket and Medals) If you want to wear the blues to some formal event that doesnt match those requirements, you can still wear the jacket with ribbons (Dress B) or even with the short/long sleeve shirt as they are authorized as civillian attire :)