PDA

View Full Version : Help with a big decision...

Josh87
11-09-08, 12:58 PM
Hey all, I recently joined the site and am considering joining the Marines. I want to hear some of your opinions of what I have to say. Good or bad, all accepted. The main reason I've been tossing around the idea of joining the Marines is because I am bored with work. Sounds ridiculous..i know. My father was a Tool and Die maker, I worked with him when i was young, and eventually followed his footsteps and put myself through College to be one also. I am a moderately skilled tradesman now at the age of 21, I have a very secure job and life is good. The thing is its not challenging.

I do not need to join the service, but I'm interested in it. I could join the Air Force, Army, or any other branch of the military but I want the ultimate challenge, to test myself mentally and physically, that's why I think if I do join the service, it will be the Marines Corps. I want to become a better person in every way, and I'm always striving to make myself a better person daily. I think joining the service will do this for me. There's probably a plethora of reasons to join, ..this would be mine. I would love to accept the fact that i would be putting my life on the line to defend this nation. Also by doing this, i would have a broad spectrum of different job opportunities just to see what else is out there. I've already been talking to a recruiter, but i want to hear what others have to say. Thank You.

-Josh

Big Jim
11-09-08, 01:24 PM
Hey all, I recently joined the site and am considering joining the Marines. I want to hear some of your opinions of what I have to say. Good or bad, all accepted. The main reason I've been tossing around the idea of joining the Marines is because I am bored with work. Sounds ridiculous..i know. My father was a Tool and Die maker, I worked with him when i was young, and eventually followed his footsteps and put myself through College to be one also. I am a moderately skilled tradesman now at the age of 21, I have a very secure job and life is good. The thing is its not challenging.

I do not need to join the service, but I'm interested in it. I could join the Air Force, Army, or any other branch of the military but I want the ultimate challenge, to test myself mentally and physically, that's why I think if I do join the service, it will be the Marines Corps. I want to become a better person in every way, and I'm always striving to make myself a better person daily. I think joining the service will do this for me. There's probably a plethora of reasons to join, ..this would be mine. I would love to accept the fact that i would be putting my life on the line to defend this nation. Also by doing this, i would have a broad spectrum of different job opportunities just to see what else is out there. I've already been talking to a recruiter, but i want to hear what others have to say. Thank You.

-Josh

YOU WANT US TO CONVINCE YOU TO JOIN...?? IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT FROM US HERE...?? PART OF BEING A MAN IS MAKING A MAN'S DECISIONS AND NOT BEING CONVINCED BY WHAT'S POPULAR AND IN FASHION AT THE TIME. ITS REALLY NOT ABOUT ENTERTAINING YOUSELF JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE BORED EITHER. YOU EITHER FEEL THE NEED TO BELONG TO SOMETHING BIGGER THAN YOURSELF OR YOU DON'T. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE GUTS TO JOIN MY BELOVED CORPS AT LEAST HAVE THE HONESTY AND THE BALLS ENOUGH TO ADMIT IT TO YOURSELF AND STAND UP AND WALK AWAY FROM SOMETHING YOU SIMPLY CAN'T DO. ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT.

AS FOR YOU WANTING MORE CONVINCING..GO TALK TO YOUR MAMA OR YOUR RECRUITER BECAUSE YOU HAVE ALOT MORE GROWING UP TO DO BEFORE YOU EVEN DECIDE TO ENLIST OR EVEN COMMIT YOURSELF TO ANYTHING....

Josh87
11-09-08, 01:36 PM
Well I'm not doing this because its whats "Popular". But I will take what you said into consideration. Thank You.

dmellow45
11-09-08, 02:59 PM
i did a lot of research when i joined and the best most appealing thing was the marines. but a mistake i kinda made was focusing so much on boot camp. once you make the decision, you have to realize that your giving up your life as it was, you are gonna be miserable for long time. the challenge of boot camp is most revering, but as crazy as it sounds, b.c. is easy compared to being a marine, when you are expected to be superman.
all in all, is itsd a decision you make on your own, and after bootcamp when you are a marine, you have to do a lot on your own, standards and such..
its a hard miserable road, but in the end it pays off, if you do the right thing.

Josh87
11-09-08, 03:16 PM
Thank You.

temarti
11-09-08, 03:40 PM
It is your choice, you could always be a part of the Michigan Militia, from the looks you may be in too good of shape for them though....:D

TSchultz
11-09-08, 03:49 PM
I would love to accept the fact that i would be putting my life on the line to defend this nation.

Alot of people would love to say that they are putting their country or family before their own life. Are you actually willing to do so?

To me, it sounds like you like the idea of being in the military much more than you would actually like being in the military.

my 2 cents.
Good luck with your decision.
-TSchultz

CH53MetalMan
11-09-08, 07:55 PM
All I can say is that at different times in our lives, we make such binding decisions that demand we don't look back and second guess ourselves. Enlisting in the Corps is one such decision. Marriage is another. Your life is in your hands. Boredom can be a driving factor.

Your question is sound as it is good practice to bounce ideas off others to test your own resolve.

Steve Miller Band

Jet Airliner

Leavin' home, out on the road
I've been down before
Ridin' along in this big ol' jet plane
I've been thinkin' about my home
But my love light seems so far away
And I feel like it's all been done
Somebody's tryin' to make me stay
You know I've got to be movin' on

Oh, Oh big ol' jet airliner
Don't carry me too far away
Cause it's here that I've got to stay

Goodbye to all my friends at home
Goodbye to people I've trusted
I've got to go out and make my way
I might get rich you know I might get busted
But my heart keeps calling me backwards
As I get on the 707
Ridin' high I got tears in my eyes
You know you got to go through hell
Before you get to heaven

Big ol' jet airliner

Touchin' down in New England town
Feel the heat comin' down
I've got to keep on keepin' on
You know the big wheel keeps
on spinnin' around
And I'm goin' with some hesitation
You know that I can surely see
That I don't want to get
caught up in any of that
Funky **** goin' down in the city

Big ol' jet airliner

Yeah, yeah yeah, yeah

Big ol' jet airliner

Carry me to my home
Cause it's there that I belong

yellowwing
11-09-08, 08:21 PM
At 21 you are just beginning to understand what makes you tick. Think more on why you would want to join the Marines. Maybe it is for you. We require total dedication that is a few steps beyond ordinary curiosity.

Also think about the family business. Surely you have commitments there. If it can do without you for 4-6 years go for it. What you learn in the Corps will enhance everything positive about you. Its your life and your decision.

JordanB
11-09-08, 10:00 PM
Make whatever decision you are going to make before you talk to a recruiter, dont listen to a word thouse **********s tell you ask Fleet Marines and research online.

ecom
11-09-08, 10:26 PM
I joined the Corps when I was 20 and a few years out of high school. I didn't know where I was headed in life. I wasn't close to graduating college with a BS or AA and didn't have any stable job. I wanted to change the direction where my life was headed. I started looking at the military opportunities and eventually sought the recruiter.

Yeah, the recruiter painted a really rosy image. For example I had not envisioned being stateside during my entire enlistment. Oh well...luck of the draw I guess.

I don't regret enlisting as I don't know where I'd be now if I had not. Probably I'd be like a couple of my pals here that are that don't have a stable job or college degree. I've been out for a few months now and I have a fairly stable job even though it's a temporary position but it pays surprisingly well. I'm able to arrange my job schedule around my college schedule, how sweet is that. I am also receiving GI Bill benefits which for me will more than double my current benefits come next August.

While serving my country and GI Bill were certainly considerations when I enlisted, they weren't the primary reason. I wanted to get out of my life situation for a few years to get my life straight and it certainly worked out.

My point is that everyone has their reason for enlisting, you need to find yours and decide whether it's right for you. We are not here to make that decision for you. While we can answer questions you might have, the decision is ultimately yours.