PDA

View Full Version : Raising money for Marines' families, one hill at a time

thedrifter
11-09-08, 06:59 AM
Posted on Sun, Nov. 09, 2008
Raising money for Marines' families, one hill at a time

Marines take care of their own. It's part of Marine Corps core values and they take it to heart.

And it's the underlying reason Retired Marine Maj. Steve Moline, a defense analyst from Purcellville, Va., is bicycling across the country - to help take care of the Marines' own.

Moline hit Mississippi about 9 a.m. Thursday and planned to camp overnight in Perkinston before heading into Louisiana and then through the Texas hill country on his Southern tier route from Florida to California.

"The weather's been cooperative and Mississippi has been great," he said, talking while riding his recumbent bike Thursday afternoon. "There are a few more hills than I anticipated here, though."

Moline said he puts in about 65 miles a day on the bike before breaking off for the day, but plans to bike a little farther through Mississippi and Louisiana because, he said, he won't average as many miles in the Texas hills.

"When I'm on a hill, I reflect back to my boot camp days with my drill instructor yelling in my ear, 'You can and you will go up that hill!' I can still hear them today."

Moline, a 22-year Marine veteran, founded the Capt. Garrett T. Lawton Foundation after attending the military memorial service of the 31-year-old Lawton, the son of one of Moline's closest friends from his service days.

"I've known Garrett since he was a teen," said Moline.

He said he chose Lawton as the face of the foundation because as an F/A-18 Hornet weapons-systems operator who then joined the elite Marine Special Operations Forces, Lawton was an example of those who have gone the extra mile to serve their country.

"It's going very well," Moline said of the fundraising. "We've been fortunate enough to get some publicity and Americans paying attention and making generous donations.

"I'm proud of that. And the media attention is helping a lot."

The Beaufort, S.C., husband and father of two boys, Lawton was killed in action Aug. 4, 2008 when his Humvee struck an IED in Afghanistan. He received the Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts for his service.

After the funeral, Moline said his Semper Fidelis training kicked in. "I said, 'Let's get out and do something for these families.'

He began working with Lawton's dad and widow to create the foundation, which raises funds to help families with money for college, financial advice and legal assistance. The nonprofit 501©(3) foundation will also help families get grief counseling and advice on creating long-term trust funds.

"This is not a handout," Moline said. "This is a lift-up to help families like Garrett's."

Ellie