PDA

View Full Version : Marines for life

thedrifter
11-09-08, 06:07 AM
Marines for life
By AnneMarie Knepper
ALbany Democrat-Herald

Young and old Marines gather for Marine Corps anniversary

Jacob Pritt, 18, enlisted this summer, and he is already calling it the best decision he has ever made.

The Marine Corps League Santiam Detachment 374 hosted a military ball in honor of the Marine Corps’ birthday Saturday at American Legion Post 10 in Albany.

Jacob’s mom, Tanya Pritt, beamed as her son accepted a ceremonial piece of cake as the youngest Marine present at the Marine Ball.

“I think he made a wise choice for himself,” she said.

“I have four boys, and I’ve learned to get behind them, support them.”

Her two oldest sons are in the Navy and Marines; her third just finished college and is considering the Army. Jacob is the youngest.

Capt. Nathaniel P. Doherty, Marine officer instructor at Oregon State University, was guest of honor at the ball.

Doherty said he was glad to share the evening with the very people who inspired him to join the Marines.

He said Marines are Marines for life, in more ways then one.

“You are the guys and gals who have continued to take care of each other and the community,” he said.

Nancy Wachsnicht, 89, of Albany was honored with a piece of cake as the oldest Marine in the room.

She worked in communications during World War II. Her memories of the time are mostly of staying very busy, and she was glad to do it.

“Women at that point really got liberated,” she said. “When I came out of high school, the only job you could get that paid any wage was a teacher or a nurse.”

By the time she finished her stint in the Marines — 1943 to 1945 — women had been trained in all sorts of trades, Wachsnicht said.

“You name it, we could do it,” she said.

Wachsnicht takes pride in how her branch of the military addressed women during her time of service.

“Women in the Army are WACs, women in the Navy are WAVEs, women in the Marines are Marines,” she said.

Ellie