PDA

View Full Version : Cmdrs Post 081107

thedrifter
11-08-08, 08:01 AM
CMDRS POST 081107

11/7/2008 By Col. Paul Damren ,

POHANG, Republic of Korea (Nov. 6, 2008) — —Sergeant Major Anderson and I needed to be at the beach early this morning to observe today’s amphibious assault so we spent last night ashore at a place called Camp Mujuk in Pohang, South Korea. The last time I was there was in 2002 when it was known as Marine Expeditionary Camp Pohang. Back then there were only a few Quonset huts and some tents; it was very rustic. Today it is a very well developed deployment support base that symbolizes the strength of the alliance between the U.S. and Republic of Korea (ROK) armed forces. The camp is located at the foot of the low mountains that surround the City of Pohang. In some ways, it reminded me of northern Virginia in the fall as the leaves had turned a golden color and there was a damp chill in the air with temperatures in the upper 50’s. I was up early this morning and went for a run around the perimeter road of the camp which made a gradual climb up into the mountains. From that vantage point, it became readily apparent to me why South Korea is known as the “Land of the Morning Calm.” The sky was crystal clear with lots of stars and to the east the darkness had just begun to fade. It was very still and quiet except for one lone rooster crowing at a farm in the valley just outside the camp.

Later this morning we traveled about an hour’s drive to the north of Pohang to the observation post (OP) overlooking the amphibious assault landing beaches. It was quite an impressive sight as we looked out and saw more than 20 ships of both the U.S. and ROK Navy. Shortly after 1000 the landing began with a simulated air strike by our AV-8 Harriers from VMA-223 and some F-4’s from the ROK Air Force. After that, it was non-stop action leading up to the landing of almost 60 amphibious assault vehicles (AAV’s) from the 1st ROK Marine Division and the MEU’s AAV platoon of Battalion Landing Team 3/1. As the AAV’s hit the beach, 30 ROK Army and 31st MEU helicopters flew overhead in a combined heliborne assault. It was an unforgettable scene.

After the landing, we went down to the landing beach and talked to some of the members of the AAV platoon and Lima Company, Battalion Landing Team 3/1. The AAV platoon is commanded by 1stLt Brian Hart from Brooklyn, New York. 1stLt Hart is a graduate of Lehigh University. His platoon sergeant is Gunnery Sergeant Fausto Cabrera of Ontario, CA. He graduated from boot camp in December of 1995 and is a former drill instructor. I talked to the crew of AAV # 213, one of the lead tractors with the 1st Section. The crew chief is Corporal John Rinehart of Burlingame, CA. He graduated from boot camp in San Diego in June of 2006 and has one tour in Iraq under his belt. Lance Corporal Russell DeFrancesco of Carlsbad, CA was the driver of the AAV. He graduated from boot camp on September 22, 2007 and this is his first deployment. Rounding out the crew was Private First Class Matthew Patterson of La Junta, Colorado. He is a 19 year old rear crewman for #213 and he is also on his first deployment. This crew is representative of all the magnificent young Marines from the AAV Platoon and Lima Company, BLT 3/1. Their efforts today as part of one of the largest joint (multiservice) and combined (ROK and U.S.) amphibious landings in recent history, helped to demonstrate the strength and solidarity of this extremely important alliance.

Semper Fidelis,

Col Paul Damren, USMC