View Full Version : From U.S. Marine to U.S. citizen

thedrifter
11-07-08, 03:20 PM
From U.S. Marine to U.S. citizen

More than 20 service members sworn in during naturalization ceremony
November 7, 2008 - 1:50PM
MOLLY K. DEWITT

It was a celebration of citizenship.

More than 20 Marines, sailors, soldiers came together today for a ceremony at the flagpole outside the headquarters building aboard Camp Lejeune to be sworn in as new United States citizens.

"The ceremony is a celebration of your spirit - the spirit of this country," said Col. John J. Fitzgerald, chief of staff for Marine Corps Installations East. "You made a sacrifice; you chose to serve this country."

The service members originated from countries around the world including Mexico, Peru, Haiti, Vietnam, Cuba, Laos and Poland, to name a few.

All the service members were legal permanent U.S. residents who joined the military before becoming naturalized. By executive order, President Bush declared a time of war beginning Sept. 11, 2001. By law, those serving on active duty since that date are immediately eligible to apply for citizenship.

Cpl. Napoleon Reyes, originally from Mexico, said he felt like a U.S. citizen even before the ceremony made it official.

"I've been here 15, almost 16 years," he said. "I don't feel too much different because I've been here for so long, I already felt like a citizen."

The ceremony did, however, change the way Reyes feels about being a Marine.

"It's a lot different now because before I felt like I was fighting for a country that wasn't mine," he said. "I always felt like I was American before, but it's on paper now."

For some, becoming an official U.S. citizen was the final step in making an entirely new life.

"My life completely changed; it was like being reborn again," Cpl. Luis Velazquez said of moving to America from Cuba. "I feel really honored to be part of this country."

For Velazquez, coming to America meant opportunity and the ability to realize his dreams, he said.

"I'm proud to be an American citizen," he said. "When you live in a country where you don't have freedom, any human rights ... you come to this country and you realize which is the right side."

Velazquez said he wants to give something back to America and fight to bring freedom to those that don't have it.

"I feel honored to be part of the country that gave me freedom," he said. "Many Americans, they were born over here, they don't understand, they don't realize the value of this life."

Mitzi Lanier, citizenship and immigration coordinator for Camp Lejeune, said she sees about 3,000 clients a year, half of whom are seeking naturalization.

"This is one of the most important things in a person's life ... We take for granted our citizenship," Lanier said.

Candidates for naturalization have to complete a series of interviews and tests before they are approved. They must also demonstrate good moral character, Lanier said.

Even Lanier, who deals with the naturalization process on a daily basis, was moved by the ceremony.

"You build a rapport with these folks ... so for me to watch this is a very emotional experience," she said. "These guys become your children - so it's wonderful for me."

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow government reporter Molly DeWitt at 910-219-8455 or mdewitt@freedomenc.com.

Ellie