PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest Disappointment in My Life

LadyLeatherneck
08-03-02, 09:41 PM
I was cleaning out the garage today and found a journal
I had to keep in an English class I was taking. I took this
class the summer before I got out of the Marine Corps.
The teacher would write a subject on the board and we
had to write about it so the first subject was

The Biggest Disappointment In My Life 6/27/95
and this is what I wrote:
The biggest disappointment in my life has been joining
the Marine Corps. I had higher expectations of it. I thought
I would be able to excel as a a Marine and as a person. In
many ways it has brought me down rather than up. I've
seen many people hurt themselves because of the ways in the
Marine Corps. Instead of helping Marines when they have
problems and seem to not be able to handle stress they
put them down. I'm glad to say I have done extremely
well for myself, but have not agreed on many things that
I have seen around me.

I was kind of in shock when I read this because you know
how sometimes we forget how we feel when we're going
through the motions. I sat there trying to analyze my feelings
at the moment because I sure don't feel that way now. Having
joined the Marine Corps was the best decision I could have made,
but I guess when you're there sometimes it doesn't seem like
it. I do recall that during this time I was an NCO and we had
had two Marines who had tried to commit suicide and I guess
that might of been what caused these feelings. Well anyhow
I just wanted to share as I'm sure I am not the first or last one
to feel this way.

Semper Fi :)

Sparrowhawk
08-03-02, 10:16 PM
<b>about the Marine Corps.

"Never hit your mother with a shovel, it leaves a bad impression on her mind!"</b>
Paul Newman in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)."

I hated the Corps when I first got to boot camp; I hated the Corps throughout I.T.R. and when she sent me to Viet Nam. I hated the Corps when I got back stateside; I hated the Corps throughout most of the time I was in. When asked if I wanted to re-up, I said to the Gunny, “I have thought about it, laughed about it and forgotten about it.”

But, then again, I liked the corps when everything was in order. When I put on my uniform, when I looked sharp, and women flirted with me with their eyes, when I was in uniform. When my shoes were polished and my gear was in order. When I played six men football at Concord Navel Weapons Station and got knocked all over the field, and was busted and bruised for weeks. When igot into a big fight with some swabbies, because of Marine Corps tradition. Gosh those were the good old days.

Humm, I guess, it was like a hot wild women, a rough love/hate relationship that feels good, and you can't get enough of it. I love the Corps as it helped me realize who I was and helped shape me into the person I am today. Most of all I guess I was thankful that while in the Corps, I never had to burn shiitters.

LadyLeatherneck
08-03-02, 10:45 PM
See, I knew someone WOULD understand....

here's one that made me chuckle:

WorkPlace 7/25/95
Today was a rough day. I never realized how stressed
out I get from work. Supporting a Battalion of 1,000 Marines
is not easy especially when it comes to adminstrative work.
Somedays I wish so bad I hadn't joined the Marine Corps.
I think half the time they expect us to work like little robots
and never get tired. They expect us not to feel or have
opinions. I can't wait until I'm free from this misery.

Okay, that entry just made me bust out laughing....
for the obvious reasons...LOL

Now I know why I use to hear the term "Suck it Up Marine"
in the back of my head for so long ....it was me talking to
myself..LMAO

Sparrowhawk
08-03-02, 10:49 PM
In Vietnam

"You're here because you want the real thing!"

wrbones
08-03-02, 11:53 PM
We all had **** to ***** about. LL has brought up a good point. Even then, I knew it was all I ever wanted to do. I hated it, I loved it, I was always wound up. Get the mission done and done as well as you can .I hated the games, I loved working with most of the folks I ever met in the Corps. I hated that my family got in the way of the Corps, and I hated the way the Corps got in the way of my family. BUT. It was worth doing, It had meaning. It was important. It is the same today, I'm pretty sure. I hope in some ways the Marines of today have it better. In others. I hope they can suck it up and carry on, no matter what. It is the most important job that they will ever have. It is the most fun, the most aggravating, the most joyful, hateful, unpleasant, irritating, damnedest, most powerful exerience of their life. It is worth it. and I'm damned proud to be one of you. A United States Marine!

USMC0311
08-04-02, 12:09 AM
Maybe I'm a masochist, but I always have and always Love the Corps. Nuthin to it but to "DO IT"
Semper Fidelis, Hard Corps/Old Corps

If it was easy it woulden't be Marine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Price ya pay to play ;)

as the new breed says get Hard LoL and suck it up :)
still sounds like sumthing a hooker would say

GarvinRay
08-04-02, 12:09 AM
The greener pastures always looks better to the young uns. LOL

It took me about a year to figure out my true relationship with the Corps and where I fit into the picture. The Marine Corps did me a lot of good and hopefully I returned the good deeds in trying to improve our beloved Corps. I will admit that sometimes it seems you are beating your head against a cement wall. However,if you believe in something, go for it.

Sparrowhawk
08-04-02, 08:03 AM
Get Hard and Suck It Up

Love that saying... 03

USMC0311
08-04-02, 08:15 AM
Mornin Grunt..

I am HARD Marine.. U take care or the rest Brother :p
Semper Fi, Marine!

I was wondering if any one would B crazy enough to address me with that saying.. And Low and Behold It's a fellow grunt TY and Semper Fi,
U the man Cook.;)

Barrio_rat
08-04-02, 09:04 AM
After being out 11 years now, I find myself (for the past 3 years or so) remembering the good times in the Corps. The fun that was had, even the stupid stuff that we thought was fun at the time, until we got busted or realized we were very lucky we didn't get busted. But I still remember why I got out and when I do, I don't long to be back in. I'm just glad that I did it.

badbob
08-04-02, 10:43 AM
I don’t know who said it, I think it’s from WWII - “It is a Soldiers right to complain.” <br />
<br />
I guess we all complained at one point or another when the Corps became a little unbearable, and probably...

LadyLeatherneck
08-04-02, 01:57 PM
Badbob, great response. I think that's what it's all about. <br />
You have your good days and you have your bad days but <br />
the thing is that no matter how bad it got we were there <br />
the next day, like true...

8th&I Marine
08-05-02, 03:14 AM
I look at it this way, I learned as a PFC By way of my company GUNNY. If we aint complainin about something then there is something wrong. I hated the spit and polish of 8th & I, but dammit I had alot of fun. Got the fire knocked out of me by Gen. Gray. Did enough mark time steps to cross the world more than twice. Some idiot stupid enough to trash my CORP. that is war

cantrell

JAMarine
08-05-02, 08:57 AM
Very Good Posts Marines.

I too Loved My Corps. Did I like every minute of it. No Way!

I joined the Marine Corps because I was a stupid kid that had awesome parents and friends that cared enough to steer me in that direction. They knew I needed to grow up and I needed some discipline and direction in my life. I was in a place in my young life where I NEEDED TO PROVE I was the best. The Marine Corps was the natural choice

Who out of all of us didn't have the thought in some form: "Oh God, What have I done"?

All in all I was very happy and satisfied during my stay. I grew mentally, physically and matured under great leaders. Would I do it all over again? You Bet! In A Heart Beat.

Semper Fi Marines and Friends.

USMC-FO
08-05-02, 10:52 AM
Great thread !

40 years ago today I stood at attention at the old Fargo Bldg in Boston and took my oath. I was 18 and very proud of what I was doing. I was going in to be with the best.

I hit PI 24 hrs later and proceeded to get kicked, punched and slapped around and for a brief moment I thought...Ooops big mistake. But I quickly learned what it met to "suck it up" and carry on. Lessons that I carry with me to this very day; standards and expectations that never leave you. Lessons that I try and impart daily to my young son.

Did I love every moment I spent in the Corps: hell no but as others have noted every "snuffie" who wears the Eagle Globe and Anchor has earned the right to ***** about crap and to fuss, goes with the territory. I did not care for the spit and polish or some--not all--dumb ass 2nd Lt who were so caught up in their bar(s) that they forgot they were part of a team, and in many cases didn't know squat! This particularly so in 66. But you deal with all this and move on. I loved being in the field and running fire missions.

I too labored about staying in but felt it was time to move on, which I did. But being a Marine has been with me ever since.

I have always be pround of being a Marine, particularly post 9/11. I drive around in a truck with my divison logos and my Eagle Globe and Anchor (don't we all have those??) I am regularly acknowledged by other Marines as I make sure to "Semper Fi" them too. I have taken my son--9 yrs--to the Marine Memorial and to The Wall for the November 10th birthday and we'll be back this year for the 227th and the 20th of The Wall.
I enjoy being among Marines and I enjoy, and want, my son see and hear what it means for all of us.

In addition to my children being a Marine is what I note as my most significant life accomplishment, not much else matters in my scheme of things.

Semper Fi Marines !

Barrio_rat
08-05-02, 12:37 PM
"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem."

Ronald Reagan

LadyLeatherneck
08-05-02, 03:11 PM
It's been great reading everyone's response. I was kind
of scared at first to post this because I actually felt ashamed
that I felt the way I did, but heck, I thought "I'm sure I'm
not the only that has felt this way and I know my brothers
and sisters will know what I'm talking about." Guess that's
what kind of makes us Marines special...we just have an under-
standing that nobody else would understand, so THANK YOU
for understanding and thank you for sharing your stories. I've
enjoyed reading ALL of them.

Semper Fi Marine Brothers and Sisters!

Sparrowhawk
08-05-02, 04:29 PM
You know, No one else feels that way Ladyleatherneck..... LOL

Thanks for buying breakfast this morning, and I'm sorry I tried to give you that weggie, how was I suppose to know you were going commando!

ROTFLMAO,

Actually Tex-Mark bought breakfast, so if anyone of you wants to invite him to meet you ~ he's good to go on that.

we had a good time, sat and ate for 2 1/2 hours..... Gosh laura, you eat alot, cleaned the whole plate, then I saw you eyeing my steak -n-eggs.....

http://www.farmerbrowns.com/tbone.gif

LadyLeatherneck
08-05-02, 04:43 PM
You know what really sucks. The fact that you always
gotta come back and say something smart alekie and I
think "The next time I go to breakfast with Sparrow, I'm
gonna kick the crap out of him."...but you wait just long
enough for me to forget about it and then I just end up
giving you a hug :p

And I wasn't eyeing your steak, I was eyeing your sausage...
:evilgrin:

By the way you have to scan some more of those pics and post
them so Linda and I can drool over them. :D

TeufelHunden
08-05-02, 04:50 PM
...I gotta tell ya Laura, I never felt that way the whole time I was in.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Yeah right! Believe that and I'll wanna show you some beachfront property in Afghani-Land ;)

Ran into a brother Marine the other day, served with 7th Marines from 1961-1964 with full intent of making a career of the Corps. Fed up with being a grunt during peacetime, his plans changed and he ended up EASing 4 days prior to the Gulf of Tonkin incident. The closest he came to getting in the **** was aboard ship during the Cuban Missile crisis. He still regrets to this day his decision to leave the Corps - Eventhough a lot of his brother Marines never came back, he still carries Survivor Guilt! I could tell he was having difficulty relating this to me in a manner my BHG could comprehend.

So believe it - You are/were not alone with those What in the hell did I get myself into? thoughts / reflections. Everything in life happens for a reason.

Bruce
08-05-02, 06:55 PM
I don't think I really ever hated the Corps, I hate me for not being able to live up to what a Marine should be. I was one of those <br />
screw ups, took me two years two get squard away. I went into <br />
the...

wrbones
08-05-02, 10:29 PM
...and hard to read, sometimes. Bruce, I appreciate yer words. I was actually a Sergeant when it first hit home for me what it was all about. I won't talk about that just yet, but I understand your words. Let me lighten it up a bit, if that's what it is. I told this story once before, but I don't think some got the full gist of it. I had just picked up Sergeant and one of my new troops was giving me fits. ALWAYS *****ing. Always complaining. Having some trouble getting him motivated. Finally I went to the Master Sergeant. I told him ALL about it. "Top, What can I do?" He listened to me quietly, patiently, then looked me dead in the eye when I was done and said " Sergeant Bonesteel, sometimes you just gotta let the privates *****." Then turned and walked away.

bottk
08-07-02, 04:27 AM
I was a Junior in High School when the Recruiter came to Town! I talked his blood stripes Off and had him come to my house to meet my old Man!(Career Enlisted, Retired before I was born) They had such a good time Re living Korea and WWII I got worried that I would not get to go to Boot Camp!
Geez what a dope!
I went and did well in Boot camp No diff than being home with the ol man! Then the Days seemed like a Time Warp! I loved being a Grunt! Never once came under Hostile Fire. Nearly been killed in 3 Helo Incidents, Humped 2 prick 77's clean thru a Live fire range on 29 stumps with a dizzy 2nd Luey thinking that we were some how heading towards main side! Did not like the 81 mm Mortar shells poping so close that we all shat our cammies!
Took a 71 ft fall in Mt warfare school on a night climb. I bounced like a ping pong ball till I hit the end of the Rope! Almost broke My back. Helped pick up the best parts of a close friend that stepped on a Dud 81 in Yuma while the heat was a balmy 128 degrees. All this and I never broke a Bone! lost lots of hide! My ol man just laughed and my mom prayed! I loved being a Grunt Marine. I was a Sgt and Lead from the front! Still do!
When I was Up for Re-enlistment after 6 yrs I felt that I had learned who I was and What I could do! So I painfully left the Corps I had some real adjustment issues in civilian life. 3 wives later and a couple of Career/loyalty testing episodes I still miss the band of brothers. I will always raise a beer and take my hat off too Marines in the News, My heart is always with the Grunt on Duty in some remote location. I have been gone from the fray since 86. I still think of going back and finding a Recruiter that has a soft spot for Smart Grunts! But I got a Baby Boy on the way! and it is going to be his Turn in the New Corps of the Future.

We have been and always will be a Razor Sharp Tool in the hands of the US politcal Establisment. They love US cause we are the best a what we do! They are intimidated by us for what we are! Profesional Warriors who take supreme pride in our Heritage and unique role in US Policy at the tip of the Spear!

I have really prattled on here!

I hope it Stirs the fierce blood in your Veins my brothers !

Semper Fi !

Kelly