PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Maintenance MOS

topgun01
11-07-08, 10:59 AM
I recently joined, and my MOS as of now is Aircraft Maintenance. I hope to be a Helicopter or Fixed-Wing Mechanic. How competitive is this MOS? How is it determined which job you get? The reason I ask is because theres like 30 individual jobs you could end up having. If I were to be a helicopter mechanic i've been told i'd most likely be stationed in New Haven NC. Is that correct? And how long does all the training last after Boot Camp and SOI?

Thanks for the help

0231Marine
11-07-08, 12:34 PM
I don't know anything about being a helo mechanic but as far as the boot camp and SOI question...boot camp is 13 weeks long, then you'll get 10 days of leave and since you're not going to be infantry, you'll go to MCT (Marine Combat Training) for 3 weeks instead of SOI, then immediately to your MOS School.

CH53MetalMan
11-07-08, 04:47 PM
What MOS do you have?

ADJ, AMS, etc, etc.

Aircraft maintenance is a general term. It sounds to me like you're not guaranteed anything other than 'aviation maintenance' which may have more than 30 different classifications.

You'll likely be scholled at NAS Memphis, but that is not certain. Schooling could last five months, perhaps longer, perhaps shorter.

Try to steer away from becoming a hydraullics man. But then again, someone needs to do it.

Artemis
11-07-08, 04:59 PM
I was a CH-46E airframes mechanic. Meaning I worked on the hydraulics, sheet metal and fiberglass portions of the helo. You will be going to school at NAS Pensacola Fl. Great place to be but keep your nose out of trouble because a lot of Marines find themselves getting NJP'd down there.

Your actual MOS will be deemed by the needs of the Corps. Towards the end of your core school, whatever that may be you will get a wish list which will consist of choosing fixed wing or rotor wing and you will get to chose East coast, West coast or overseas.

If you have anymore specific questions feel free to ask I will answer to the best of my ability.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-07-08, 07:31 PM
New Haven, NC? A helo mech on the east coast would likely be at MCAS New River. Cherry Point does have one helo (last time I checked) and MCAS Beaufort may have one. (Search and Rescue birds). But in honesty, you're just as likely to find yourself with the 1st or 3rd Air Wing as you are the Second.

Sgt Jim
11-08-08, 11:21 AM
Nothing wrong with being a bubble chaser (hydraulics),was my mos when i was in .CH46 Sea Knights

topgun01
11-08-08, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the help just a few more questions.

Is there a school where all the people with the general aircraft maintenance MOS go, and secondary schools where you go to specialize in a certain skill? Also I’m assuming grades are given, do the people with higher grades get first pick of their job?

I’m asking because, personally, I want to be physically fixing the engines of either helicopters or planes. Am I just going to be assigned anything in the aircraft maintenance MOS, or do I get some say?

Thanks again

Artemis
11-08-08, 05:14 PM
As I said earlier you will go to NAS Pensacola for your core school. From there depending on what type model series (aircraft) you get will depend on where you go for the second half of your school.

No people with higher grades do not get any special treatment when it comes to picking what they want to work on.

Now judging from your last line sounds like you want to be what is called an I level mechanic meaning you would be working at a MALS insted of a squadron where the aircraft are actually kept. A little insight on the fixing of engines, you will work in a rather large space but will have no actual contact with the aircraft you will only fix the engines. The O level maintainers will remove the engine from the aircraft and then it will be delievered to the engine maint shop by a supply Marine.

topgun01
11-08-08, 05:50 PM
Is there anyway to pick your Aircraft you specialize in?

I copied this from a site- 6114 (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/6114.htm) --Helicopter Mechanic, UH/AH-1
What's the difference between a Helicopter Mechanic and all the other things like Power Plant and Airframes?

Artemis
11-08-08, 07:03 PM
There is no way that you get to pick your exact MOS. You will be able to chose rotor wing or fixed wing. I suggest that you research on your own what the difference between all these MOS as I only know the basic differences in them. A mechanic does things such as removing and replacing rotor blades, removing and replacing engines, greasing the aircraft, and doing fuel samples to name a few. Airframes does the hydraulic, metal and fiberglass work on them. Power plants are the engine mechs that fix the engines. Now mind you that is only the tip of the iceberg as far as what each MOS does.

jetdoc
11-09-08, 09:22 AM
Nell has given you some great info...CH53, Memphis? Brother that was OUR hell, now they go to FLA.

I trained on Helo's, then was sent to Fixed wing in El Toro, back then you could be fixed or helo.

As Nell said, if you repair engines you will not be working hands on with the a/c. I personally like Fixed wing over Helo's, but thats just me.

And if you are in squadron level maintenance on Helo's and deploy on a Carrier you will be on what we called a "Grunt Carrier", if you deploy fixed you will be on a "Real Carrier", haha.

Come on my Grunt bro's, you know I'm just messing with ya.

topgun01
11-12-08, 09:25 AM
Thats actually a good point. I'd rather be on a big carrier than one of those small helo ones.

Also I know i've sorta asked this question before... I know theres no way to pick your exact job out of the aircrat maintenance MOS, but is there any way to narrow it down before shipping to Boot Camp? I still have to finish high school, so I don't ship until June 8th. I'm just getting impatient I guess.

Artemis
11-12-08, 09:38 AM
To keep it easy, no. You get to pick the field but you can not narrow it down anymore from there.

topgun01
11-12-08, 09:47 AM
By field your talking about fixed-wing or helos right? Correct me if i'm wrong, isn't the overall aircraft maintenance MOS split into four groups? 60xx, 61xx, 62xx? Are those the fields?

Artemis
11-12-08, 05:49 PM
No I am talking aircrew, or maintenance.

jetdoc
11-12-08, 07:16 PM
By field your talking about fixed-wing or helos right? Correct me if i'm wrong, isn't the overall aircraft maintenance MOS split into four groups? 60xx, 61xx, 62xx? Are those the fields?

Its changed since I was in, as I had said you could move from fixed to rotary with no problem. I think they have combined some MOS's as well?

Refresh my memory guys, I thought we didn't get a specific MOS until we reported to Millington and completed some additional tests? Am I wrong with that?

You're right IMO, about the carrier. While I was never on a Grunt Carrier I do know guys that were and you have to love to be around Grunts while on there, haha. Actually they said it wasn't that bad.

On a Nuke Carrier, or even one such as the USS Midway, you will be the only Marines on the ship anymore. They used to have the Mar-Dets, (Brig Marines), but I think that deal is shut down.

topgun01
11-12-08, 09:03 PM
After hearing all this I'm leaning toward fixed wing now. Does anyone have a link to a web page with all the big Marine Airbases on the east coast?

How much say do you get to where your stationed? I know you get to pick east or west coast, but is there anyway to pick a certain base?

jetdoc
11-12-08, 11:29 PM
I wasn't aware you could pick what coast, thats cool. Actually I was sent completely on the other side of where I wanted to be, east coast wanted, west coast sent. I had gotten into some minor trouble being so close to home, so the TME NCOIC figured it was best to get me out of the area and away from home...so MCAS EL Toro I went.

His name was Gunny Roche, but pronounced it, GUNNY ROCK....haha.

But I digress, I know of MCAS Beaufort, MCAS Cherry Point are the two biggys.....here is a link to all of our Air Stations.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/mcas.htm

Artemis
11-13-08, 09:57 AM
After hearing all this I'm leaning toward fixed wing now. Does anyone have a link to a web page with all the big Marine Airbases on the east coast?

How much say do you get to where your stationed? I know you get to pick east or west coast, but is there anyway to pick a certain base?

OK once again no you do not get to pick the exact base. That only happens if you are getting it as a re-enlistment incentive. They give you the job they want you to have and put you on what coast at what base suits their needs the most.

topgun01
11-16-08, 08:06 PM
Ok thanks for all the information one more question...

Is there anyway before I ship to pick a specific job in my MOS, and lock it in so thats what I definitely do?

You may have answered that already so sorry, I've just noticed people posting questions about specific jobs that they seem to have gotten assigned before shipping.

jetdoc
11-16-08, 09:31 PM
You can get avionics or the like but a specific MOS I don't think so.