PDA

View Full Version : OI and its volunteers raise soldiers' morale

thedrifter
11-07-08, 08:05 AM
5:39 PM
By Kat Teraji

"I write this as a sincere thank you from the bottom of my heart and those of my Marines. It's a great feeling to know that no matter how lonely or miserable they may be, it is all worthwhile when they read reassuring letters like those sent by you. I thank you for your support and want you to know that your package has raised morale and set new meaning to our mission wherever we are."

These are grateful words written by Platoon Sergeant Jorge Guerrero, with Battalion Landing Team 1⁄4, Alpha Company, 3rd Platoon, 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit.

Why? Because of care packages known as C-rats mailed to Guerrero and his troops by an all-volunteer group in Gilroy known as Operation Interdependence. Gilroy is the northern hub of this national nonprofit organization, and all care packages from northern California are processed and packaged by Gilroy volunteers. One million packages have been sent since 2001.

When I visited the retail space donated by real estate broker Mark Sanchez near Juicy Burger on Church Street, six volunteers were busily at work Tuesday evening packaging up toothbrushes, corn nuts, granola bars and letters from home. The walls of Operation Interdependence are lined with hundreds of boxes of Girl Scout Cookies, all donated by individuals from throughout the Bay Area. The volunteers crack them open and take out a sleeve to package up with other goodies in a quart-size Ziploc bag.

"The baggies are important because they make distribution in the field as easy as 'grab and go,'" Suzi Kugler explained. She became area manager for Operation Interdependence Oct. 15, taking over from Karen Humber. A resident of Gilroy for 33 years, Kugler is mom to Maj. Neil Kugler, a Gilroy High School graduate. Trained at West Point, he is a battalion officer who just finished a tour of duty in Iraq this year. He is preparing to be deployed to Afghanistan next year.

"It's not that the military in Iraq isn't providing them with what they need," Kugler went on. "And there are stores in Iraq. But less travel to get stuff means less danger for our troops. In Afghanistan, there are no stores where the troops can shop, so the care packages become even more crucial."

Volunteer Bev Pierce learned about OI on the radio when she heard that toys were helpful for troops going into areas where there might be incendiary devices.

"I came in with a great big bag of Beanie Babies for the troops to give to children," Pierce said. "And she's been stuck here ever since," another volunteer joked. I found a great sense of camaraderie among the volunteers, who number between eight and 10 and meet every week to work on care packages.

Working with the other volunteers has given Louise Vogel a more active way to do something to let the troops know they are still remembered here at home.

"We just love each other," she says of her fellow volunteers. "We count on each other."

Their goal is to provide consistent long-term support by giving each of the troops some small treat and a letter from home each month during their entire deployment - and to do so efficiently without bogging down military resources. Enough of the individual care packages are delivered to the front lines for every member of an entire platoon or fighting unit, so that no one is left out. For some, the care packages from OI are the only communication from home that they receive.

Drop boxes for letters are located at Nob Hill and at First Street Coffee. As we talked, volunteer Reeno Nemec was inspired to add a drop box to her office at Coldwell Banker at 950 Tennant in Morgan Hill.

"I'm volunteering our place as a location!" she said excitedly. "I'll let my boss know in the morning."

There are many expenses associated with getting the care packages to troops. Thanks to Container Consulting Service of Gilroy, all the necessary boxes for shipping are being provided. Dion Bracco provided trucks when supplies needed to be moved to the new location. "We could use money for shipping, large packs of quart-size Ziploc bags, as well as packing tape and marking pens," Kugler said.

"But I want to emphasize that the most important part of these care packages doesn't cost money. It's the letter from home. Anyone can do that. All it costs is your time and care. Just a note or a card (no envelopes please). Write about what's going on in Gilroy; write about how much you support the troops. Everyone needs a little comfort from home."

With a historic election behind us, and Veterans Day on the horizon, let the men and women serving know that they are still in our prayers and have not just become an afterthought. Kugler praised all those who are making the care packages possible, saying, "This community has really stepped up to the plate. It has really come together and given so much support. I can't thank everyone enough."

Call Suzi Kugler with questions and donations at (408) 847-5906. Everything is tax deductible. Stop by 8401 Church St., or call to arrange for pick-up of letters. Anything for eyes, mouth, or nose must still be sealed. Troop favorites include beef jerky, corn nuts, sunflower seeds, nuts, granola bars and LETTERS.

Ellie