PDA

View Full Version : Achieving Guide in Boot

martinj
11-06-08, 04:37 PM
How hard is it to earn the position as guide? What are some of the main things you can do to better your chances? I know some of the basic stuff like scoring high on your tests helps but I was just wondering about specifics.

BR34
11-06-08, 05:06 PM
Be loud and know how to march.

sparkie
11-06-08, 05:11 PM
Be loud and know how to march.
Hard to get,,,,HARDER to keep. Funny thing is, you don't get it, it may be thrust upon you,,,,,,,,or not. :evilgrin:

BR34
11-06-08, 05:17 PM
http://leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72007&page=4

Read that thread, Poolee Martin. Skipping over the bull**** you'll come across some fine advice.

SGT7477
11-06-08, 05:33 PM
How hard is it to earn the position as guide? What are some of the main things you can do to better your chances? I know some of the basic stuff like scoring high on your tests helps but I was just wondering about specifics.

You could be a guide for 5 minutes and the SDI could drop you like a ton of **** in a heartbeat.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
11-06-08, 05:35 PM

BTW I looked at your profile correct yourself it was GYSGT Hathcock.:evilgrin:

TSchultz
11-06-08, 07:43 PM
Be the one who displays the 14 leadership traits and be the best at everything.

martinj
11-06-08, 08:51 PM
BTW I looked at your profile correct yourself it was GYSGT Hathcock.:evilgrin:
Sorry sir. Didnt mean to undermine that great hero of the Corps.

DeanUSMC
11-07-08, 09:33 AM
Don't go in trying to be the guide, go in trying to be an outstanding recruit...... the rest will fall into place if you have the abilities.

Scottie0417
11-10-08, 11:19 PM
All the recruits who plan on being the guide or company honor man were the worst guides in my platoon simply because they tried too hard to be a leader. If you're a natural leader, you shouldn't have to be super moto to get noticed by your Drill Instructors...if you show good leadership traits they'll take notice of you and if they think you'll make a good guide they'll put you where you belong. Honestly, being guide doesn't mean anything after boot camp. Yeah, if you're company honor man you'll be a Lance Corporal but once you get out of boot none of that stuff matters to anyone

SGT7477
11-11-08, 06:17 PM
All the recruits who plan on being the guide or company honor man were the worst guides in my platoon simply because they tried too hard to be a leader. If you're a natural leader, you shouldn't have to be super moto to get noticed by your Drill Instructors...if you show good leadership traits they'll take notice of you and if they think you'll make a good guide they'll put you where you belong. Honestly, being guide doesn't mean anything after boot camp. Yeah, if you're company honor man you'll be a Lance Corporal but once you get out of boot none of that stuff matters to anyone

A boot Lance CPL has alot to learn when he hits the fleet.:evilgrin:

Jeep92yj
11-17-08, 10:09 AM
Dean knows what he is talking about. He was guide from beginning to end.

NoRemorse
11-19-08, 09:57 AM
A boot L/Cpl will be a L/Cpl for a long time.

Learn your history, get yourself in shape, open your friggen ears, and lead by example.

Guess which one of those is most important in boot camp for any recruit.