05-30-03, 06:40 AM
School frenzy in Iraq <br />
Submitted by: I Marine Expeditionary Force <br />
Story Identification Number: 2003528105334 <br />
Story by Army Sgt. Mike Sweet <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
AL HILLAH, Iraq(May 27, 2003) -- The legacy that...

firstsgtmike
05-30-03, 08:13 AM
How times change.

" ...4th Marines poured into the project about 15 thousand dollars... For three weeks, the Seabees have been working long hours rewiring new lights into the classrooms "We also hired local contractors to clean up the building and to do much of the painting."

1966-67 Red Beach, (Later Camp Books) FLC HQ, Danang, VIetnam.

Civil Affairs provided the construction materials. The villagers fought amongst themselves to see who would be providing the free labor to build/repair the schools. Only those children whose parents labored on the schools would be permitted to attend.

Individual Marines, writing to wive's groups, schools, etc. in the States were able to solicit donations of over five tons of school supplies.

Additionally, this was the way the Children's Hospital at Wa Kahn (sp?) just outside the gate was built. I'm not sure where the medical equipment came from, but the air conditioners for the operating rooms were purchased on Okinawa with funds donated by a Woman's Club in Xenia, Ohio. It was cheaper to purchase them there than have them shipped from the States.

The Vietnamese fought for the privilege to help with the construction/reconstruction of schools for their children.

Is it the times? Or is it the people?

I forget the date, and the page, but in Leatherneck Magazine there was a photo of a young SSgt making the air-con presentation to members of the hospital and Civil Affairs.