PDA

View Full Version : Quick Combat Support Question

sec9
11-06-08, 02:56 AM
I am about to go over my MOS with my recruiter and I am going to ask to be put in Combat Support. From what I have read on these forums that includes 0811- Field Artillery Cannoneer, 1812- M1A1 Tank Crewman, 1833- Assault Amphibious Vehicle Crewman and, 7212- Low Altitude Air Defense Gunner. If we get me down as Combat Support on my contract does that mean the Marine Corps will put me anywhere they need me out of those combat support jobs, or anywhere they need me including jobs outside combat support?

Also, with a combat support MOS should I forget about trying to continue some college courses here and there? From what I understand some jobs like infantry are much more time demanding than others in the Marine Corps. Thanks.

SupChf
11-06-08, 07:20 AM
When you decide on a Job Field (program such as combat support) the Corps will look at what we need and what your qualifications are. They want to make the best match possible. But yes, they will put you in an MOS that falls within that job field. Those fields are listed on the Statement of Understanding (SOU) that you will need to sign when you figure out what you want.

On the college? The answer is no. It is possible to attend online college in every MOS. Some MOS's (i.e. grunts) may take you longer to complete your degree due to spending time in the field and such, but you can get some college knocked out in every MOS. I know many Grunts with BA's that they obtained while on active duty.

sec9
11-06-08, 03:49 PM
Thank you GySgt.