PDA

View Full Version : Please help future marine pick his survival rifle. Vets advice please!

FloridaState
11-05-08, 06:07 PM
Hey guys im going to post this in a bunch of places and hope to get alot of feedback. I am a young man (24) and have decided to sign a 6 year with the US Marine Reserves. I am going to meps soon and home to get on delayed entry for the summer. Ok now my situation. I have a best friend who went through hell during Hurricane Katrina. I currently use a cheap ak which I think is Chinese for survival. I have heard his horror stories and since I am going to be a trained warrior with an obligation to defend my country I want the best rifle I can get my hands on. I highly doubt we will ever be invaded or western civilization will break down but after realizing how easy a natural disaster or epidemic could come about, I would prefer to be prepared for anything. Please talk me into or out of one of these if not both rifles. Im not parinoid, just want to upgrade. My buddy is using a galil and an ak and after seeing all his survival gear I really need to step my stuff up. By the way before the huricaine he only had a 22 long rifle target revolver and 2 small boxs of rounds! I dont even have a sleeping bag or anything right now so I am looking at getting everything. I will post another thread on gear.

I am looking at a bushmaster full size AR15 a4 with bayo lug, 1 in 9 twist, heavy wall barrel etc. My other choice is a Springfield M14 or M1 Garand. I have ruled our galil and para trooper FAL. About Ar’s first, Is the bushmaster the exact rifle I will be trained with in infantry school? What kind of range does this rifle have?

I am also considering getting the M1A now and the bushmaster later. What is the differences between the Ma1 standard, loaded, national match, supermatch etc etc? I want the one that is exactly like the one that was battle tested years ago. As far as accuracy what can I expect to shoot with open sites and or a scope? Only down side I can see with this rifle is building entrys would be hard and no surefire mount :-(. Overall I am leaning towards this since it seems like it will hit hard and not jam as much as an AR in a survival situation. I can also kill a bear and deer in the event I run out of food in the woods without a head shot. Can I get webgear for this?

I would love to hear from Vets who went through basic with the M14 and were issued the M16 or have fired either in combat. I know the M16 is a great rifle if kept clean. Please trash talk the M14 before I buy one! Thanks for all the advice in advance!

BR34
11-05-08, 06:26 PM
Fill out your profile, I Am Legend.

yellowwing
11-05-08, 06:29 PM
First fill out a Member Profile and you might get some feedback. Do not multiple post, you only annoy the Staff. We ask this of everyone.

Private Message me when it's done and I'll open this back up.