PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice.

Rains
11-05-08, 03:20 PM
I have used the search function and have not found anything relevant to my question, so I call upon the aid of those more experianced then I.

Well, I plan on going to the Recruiter's office here in the next month-month and a half, and signing up for the Delayed Entry Program, and I have my mind set on the MOS 1371-Combat Engineer.

I was hoping you Marines could give me advice on what things to ask the Recruiter, when I go in there I want to be prepared on what I should bring up, and what I should have and so forth, to get the 1371 MOS.
I was told by someone that I have to have a swimming qualification of 2, in order to have a greater chance of getting this MOS, I tryed searching google and this site but couldnt seem to find what a swim qualifacion of 2 is, or how to get it. So if anyone knows the answer to this aswell, I would appreciate your help.

Rains
11-06-08, 05:02 PM
About the swimming qualification.... I was a dumb-*** and did a poor search of the forums :mad:.
But I have found what I needed.
My apologies.

I don't advise You to overpower the censor system again....winky wink

sparkie
11-06-08, 05:25 PM
What to ask your recruter,,,,,,, Ask him to buy lunch, and give you a good score on the PFT.

Rains
11-06-08, 05:31 PM
:p

I just dont want to get fooled into signing a contract I wouldnt be happy with. I have heard that recruiters can get kind of tricky...

sparkie
11-06-08, 05:47 PM
Your looking for 1 mos, and that in the 2nd month of the fiscal year. How hard could it be? Besides, you want to be a Marine I take it? Or is it a 'Special Marine? LOL.
Stick your tongue out at me again, and I'll send you to your room without supper!!!
Seriously,,,{for a change], smart move. Nowadays, don't sign anything you're not sure of. When I went in, all there was,,,, Open Contract, period.

Rains
11-06-08, 06:46 PM
Your looking for 1 mos, and that in the 2nd month of the fiscal year. How hard could it be? Besides, you want to be a Marine I take it? Or is it a 'Special Marine? LOL.
Stick your tongue out at me again, and I'll send you to your room without supper!!!
Seriously,,,{for a change], smart move. Nowadays, don't sign anything you're not sure of. When I went in, all there was,,,, Open Contract, period.

Yes I want to be a Marine, and whatever a "Special Marine" is... I dont want to be it.
I didnt mean any disrespect, sorry for the tounge.

About it being the 2nd month of the fiscal year... how exactly will that work toward getting the MOS I want?

SlingerDun
11-06-08, 06:50 PM
I just dont want to get fooled into signing a contract I wouldnt be happy with..You got a dad or uncle or a somebody who has been around the block? Take them with you to the recruiting office or just ask if they will go over a list of the options you qualify for. It doesn't necessarily take a veteran to sniff out rat if you're worried about getting fooled'

sparkie
11-06-08, 07:44 PM
"About it being the 2nd month of the fiscal year... how exactly will that work toward getting the MOS I want?"

Pretty much all MOS's are open. Picken starts new every Oct. 31st. When all MOS is new.
the tounge thing was a joke, get over it. Us old farts only want to help.

Rains
11-06-08, 08:55 PM
You got a dad or uncle or a somebody who has been around the block? Take them with you to the recruiting office or just ask if they will go over a list of the options you qualify for. It doesn't necessarily take a veteran to sniff out rat if you're worried about getting fooled'

Yes Sir, I got a dad, grandpa, and uncle that I got to back me up.
Thanks for the tip.

Rains
11-06-08, 08:57 PM
"About it being the 2nd month of the fiscal year... how exactly will that work toward getting the MOS I want?"

Pretty much all MOS's are open. Picken starts new every Oct. 31st. When all MOS is new.
the tounge thing was a joke, get over it. Us old farts only want to help.

Ahhh, ok. Thanks.

Hehe, I figured you where just messin around.
Thanks agian.

ke0331
11-06-08, 11:04 PM
You should go in there with confidence and tell the recruiter what you want your MOS to be and ask what you need to do to make it happen.When I was 17 My Mom and I went to a recruiters office and he started pullin out all these pictures and cards and put them on his desk in a nice neat row. I looked at him and told him I just wanted a rifle and a place to be. He couldn't get the forms out fast enough. I knew what I wanted to be. About a year and a half later I was walkin tall with a M-60 E3 on my shoulder with the biggest god damn smile you've ever seen and never looked back. 0331-"You hump the weight ,you rate the skate". Good luck.

"PEOPLE SLEEP PEACEABLY IN THEIR BEDS AT NIGHT ONLY BECAUSE ROUGH MEN STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THEIR BEHALF" JIM ORWELL

Rains
11-07-08, 01:39 PM
Thank you very much for the advice Sir.

GCBedel1981
11-09-08, 10:08 AM
#1 MOS when you sign on the dotted line is 0311. If you don't sign on for that, your not interested in being a Marine. Any other MOS is a bonus.
I received my bonus out of P.I. 0331, Get some!

dmellow45
11-09-08, 03:00 PM
ask him to buy you lunch... ha ha

Rains
11-10-08, 03:56 PM
#1 MOS when you sign on the dotted line is 0311. If you don't sign on for that, your not interested in being a Marine. Any other MOS is a bonus.
I received my bonus out of P.I. 0331, Get some!

So you are saying that getting into the combat engineer MOS is only a bonus?
Note that I do not have any aversion to being basic infantry.

Rains
11-10-08, 03:57 PM
ask him to buy you lunch... ha ha

hahahaha.....I'm guessin that is not good.

ke0331
11-10-08, 11:24 PM
Rains

The 03 MOS isn't for everyone and it shouldn't be. It takes alot of Marines to get the beans,bullets and band aides where they need to go and that takes a hell of an effort. If you train to be an engineer you'll leave with more job skills than I did. Not a big market for machine gunners in the civilian world! Try not to worry about what job or MOS sounds good on paper (Infantry,Recon, Scout Sniper etc.) and do what you feel you would enjoy and benefit the most from. I had Marines in my platoon, not very long, that were best suited as target pullers in the butts at the rifle range than in a grunt line platoon in the fleet. They thought that since they were in the Marine Corps they "had" to be grunt trigger pullers and live in ditches. Besides, we were always glad to see engineers in the field, they could dig some of the nicest **** ditches you've ever seen with their equipment.Trust me that's no disrespect! Other MOS's aren't a bonus,their necessary.

" PEOPLE SLEEP PEACEABLY IN THEIR BEDS AT NIGHT ONLY BECAUSE ROUGH MEN STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THEIR BEHALF" JIM ORWELL

dmellow45
11-11-08, 08:52 PM
So you are saying that getting into the combat engineer MOS is only a bonus?
Note that I do not have any aversion to being basic infantry.

combat engineering is not all that... talk about building sandbag walls and ****