PDA

View Full Version : Marine who died in Iraq is buried

thedrifter
05-29-03, 05:04 PM
Posted on Thu, May. 29, 2003

Marine who died in Iraq is buried
Associated Press

NILES, Ill. - Lance Cpl. Jakub H. Kowalik, whose family came to the United States from Poland when he was just a boy, died serving the adopted country he loved.

"He loved both cultures. He would be always having nice memories of the country he grew up in and the country we chose for him," said Danuta Kowalik of her 21-year-old son, who was buried Wednesday.

Jakub Kowalik of Schaumburg was killed in Iraq May 12 when the ordnance he was handling exploded.

A U.S. flag and a Polish flag were displayed during Kowalik's funeral Mass, which included prayers in Polish.

Kowalik, who came to this country from Poland in 1992 when he was 10 years old, joined the Marines in 2001.

"He was serving for this country and he died for this country," his mother said.

Kowalik had been assigned to the 1st Maintenance Battalion, 1st Force Service Support Group, which is based at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

His job was to repair assault amphibious vehicles, and he was sent to Iraq in March after first being deployed to Kuwait.

Mourners laid roses on Kowalik's coffin.

"He is resting in a peaceful place," said his older brother, Paul Kowalik. "It's all good ... he's going to stay in our hearts."

Rest in Peace

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
05-30-03, 06:54 AM
Rites honor Marine killed in Iraq

May 29, 2003

BY COURTNEY K. WADE Staff Reporter

Thomas Tirkel met Jakub Kowalik at a school bus stop almost 10 years ago. Jakub had just moved down the street from Thomas in north suburban Niles. Both boys were Polish, but Thomas was Jewish; Jakub Catholic.

Their differences didn't stop them from becoming friends, though, and on Wednesday, Tirkel spoke about his memories of Lance Cpl. Kowalik at his funeral mass at St. John Brebeuf Church in Niles.

Standing at the podium with his folded handwritten speech, Tirkel said, "When he told me he was joining the Marines, I was not surprised." Kowalik "definitely had the character of a soldier."

Kowalik, 21, who had been stationed in Iraq since February, was killed earlier this month in an accident when an artillery shell exploded. The war had ended, and he anticipated going home soon. The day before his death, Kowalik even spoke to his mother, Danuta, to wish her a happy Mother's Day.

The Kowalik family immigrated to Chicago from Poland in 1992, when Jakub was 10. A year later, they moved to Niles.

"It was funny how we met because we were different. I am Polish and Jewish. He was Polish and Catholic," Tirkel said.

The two boys had a few laughs about their differences in faith and became good friends.

"We used to hang out together. He even helped me with my math homework in fifth and sixth grades," Tirkel said with a smile.

Kowalik's favorite movie was "Predator," and he was fascinated by guns and their power, Tirkel said.

During his high school years at Maine East in Park Ridge, Kowalik played football and enjoyed working out. Although he lacked U.S. citizenship, he joined the Marines shortly after his graduation in hopes of gaining college tuition assistance.

He was devoted to American ideals and felt his country needed him after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11--even when his mother questioned his joining the Marines--she said after being told of his death the day after Mother's Day.

The funeral services embraced Kowalik's Polish heritage and Marine background. Parts of the mass were spoken in Polish, and traditional Polish songs were sung at the burial, complete with full Marine honors, at Maryhill Cemetery in Niles.

Tirkel remembered Kowalik's positive spirit and natural ability to make others laugh.

Although Kowalik never gained U.S. citizenship during his life, the military granted him citizenship posthumously.

"It's really honorable that he joined the Marines for America," Tirkel said.

Sempers,

Roger