PDA

View Full Version : Honored for his service

thedrifter
11-05-08, 05:13 AM
Honored for his service
By Alyson Chapman
The Daily Times

Published November 1, 2008

A Kerrville man serving in the U.S. Navy was awarded the Bronze Star medal earlier this week for his heroism.

Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician First Class Albert Alvarez was honored for his work in Iraq.

“I was pretty excited to get the Bronze Star,” he said. “It does mean a lot to me receiving this. It’s not very common for a sailor to get something like this.”

Alvarez was recognized for serving as EOD team leader and leading petty officer of Explosive Ordnance Mobile Unit Two, Detachment 34, which was deployed from March 23 to Oct. 2, 2007, to Iraq for Operation Iraqi Freedom.

According to the Naval officials, Alvarez provided explosive ordnance disposal support for 2,500 square kilometers, 12 cities and 200 kilometers of military supply routes while deployed to Al Asad Air Base in Anbar province, Iraq.

“Exercising mature judgment, he conducted 75 explosive ordnance disposal missions, 13 improvised explosive devices, 17 unexploded ordnance items, conducted eight post-blast analyses and exploited 28 weapons caches,” according to Alvarez’s Bronze Star medal letter. “On two occasions, Alvarez conducted extremely dangerous manual disarming procedures on improvised explosive devices, without regard to his own personal safety, ensuring the safety of coalition forces and civilian personnel.” Alvarez also received a Joint Service Commendation medal for his work in Africa.

“While there, I worked in a humanitarian role, working with the people there and teaching them how to rid their country of war hazards,” Alvarez said.

While attached to International Mine Action Training Facility in Nairobi, Kenya, he instructed 41 courses to 65 personnel from 16 country on the detection, removal and disposals of land mines and remnants of war.

“Petty Officer Alvarez’s steadfast devotion to duty, leadership and professionalism significantly contributed to the success of Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa and will have a positive and long-lasting impact on peace and stability in the region,” reads the certificate of the award.

Alvarez, who has been in the Navy almost 15 years, is the son of Albert and Mary Ann Alvarez of Kerrville. He has two children — Sherri Sotelo and Stone Alvarez — who attend Kerrville ISD schools. He’s also a Tivy High School graduate.

He currently is stationed in Italy with his wife, Julie; daughter, Isabel; and son, Austin. He also has a stepson, Josh, who will be entering the U.S. Marines soon.

“I should be in Italy for a three-year tour,” Alvarez said. “I should be going back to either Iraq or Afghanistan here in the near future but don’t have an exact time frame yet. I probably won’t be coming back home for a few years, unfortunately.”

Ellie