PDA

View Full Version : New "Saluting" Law

SupChf
11-04-08, 01:12 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 30, 2008

New Law Authorizes Veterans’ Salutes during National Anthem

WASHINGTON -- Veterans and active-duty military not in uniform can now
render the military-style hand salute during the playing of the national anthem, thanks to
changes in federal law that took effect this month.
“The military salute is a unique gesture of respect that marks those who have
served in our nation’s armed forces,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Dr. James B.
Peake. “This provision allows the application of that honor in all events involving our
nation’s flag.”
The new provision improves upon a little known change in federal law last year
that authorized veterans to render the military-style hand salute during the raising, lowering
or passing of the flag, but it did not address salutes during the national anthem. Last year’s
provision also applied to members of the armed forces while not in uniform.
Traditionally, members of the nation’s veterans service organizations have rendered
the hand-salute during the national anthem and at events involving the national flag while
wearing their organization’s official head-gear.
The most recent change, authorizing hand-salutes during the national anthem by
veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel, was sponsored by Sen. Jim Inhofe of
Oklahoma, an Army veteran. It was included in the Defense Authorization Act of 2009,
which President Bush signed on Oct. 14.
The earlier provision authorizing hand-salutes for veterans and out-of-uniform
military personnel during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag, was contained in the
National Defense Authorization Act of 2008, which took effect Jan. 28, 2008.

# # #

For the latest news releases and other information, visit VA on the Internet at

http://www.va.gov/opa.

To receive e-mail copies of news releases, subscribe to VA’s list server at:
http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/opalist_listserv.cfm.

ErikHeiker
11-04-08, 03:10 PM
Outstanding. I was wondering when this was going to be addressed, especially since I am now in the retired ranks.

Eric Hood
11-06-08, 12:16 PM
As Marines, we salute only if covered, correct? I can't do it without a cover on my melon.

FistFu68
11-06-08, 12:51 PM
:evilgrin: I BEEN DOING IT ALL THESE YEARS DIDN'T KNOW 'BOUT NO LAW S/F:beer: :iwo:

YutYut
11-06-08, 01:32 PM
I'm right there with ya Eric.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-06-08, 01:51 PM
I always just stand at attention and face the flag or music. That's what they taught us in boot camp, so it is what I do. I know the flag code says you're supposed to put your hand over your heart, but that isn't what my Drill Instructor said.

In all honesty, I've never saluted when not wearing a uniform, and I doubt that changes any time soon.

Chumley
11-06-08, 02:16 PM
E4B - That's what I was taught also, and I will continue to stand at Attention when it's appropriate.

SFi
C

thewookie
11-06-08, 04:30 PM
I would feel sorta weird saluting out of uniform, I'll stick to the POA.

FistFu68
11-06-08, 04:46 PM
:evilgrin: I FELT PROUD,AIN'T GONNA STOP NOW;TILL I'M DEAD :beer: :iwo:

sparkie
11-06-08, 06:15 PM
As Marines, we salute only if covered, correct? I can't do it without a cover on my melon.
Couldn't do it without my cover. Where would your fingers go? Up your nose? That's Army.

thedrifter
11-07-08, 06:55 AM
<iframe src='http://marines.feedroom.com/linking/index.jsp?skin=oneclip&ehv=http://www.marines.mil/news/Pages/marinestv.aspx&fr_story=185fb93a3ff4931f37c9bae9639f75abda93147c&rf=ev&hl=true' width=322 height=277 scrolling='no' frameborder=0 marginwidth=0 marginheight=0></iframe>

Ellie

BMFortier
11-08-08, 06:06 PM
Interesting..

jerryk
11-08-08, 06:39 PM
Well Just Wear A Cover With A Marine Corps Logo On It For You Ones That Has A To Have A Cover On I Always Wear One Anytime I Go Outside

Captain Kirk
11-08-08, 09:06 PM
I been doing that since last summer when the bill forset appeared to be approved by the house and senate.:thumbup:

Nice tribute to those of us who still wish to salute.

Thanks.:usmc: